Jump to content
Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
BallaDoc

Wanted: Someone to lead health and care transformation in the Isle of Man

Recommended Posts

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=56295&headline=Wanted: Someone to lead health and care transformation in the Isle of Man&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2020#readComments

"Now recruitment has begun for an independent non-executive chair for Manx Care. He or she will be responsible for ensuring transformed health and social care services are delivered for the people of the island."

Well, actually, no.  I grappled with this paragraph at some length while trying to figure out what was wrong with this picture.  The whole point of being a non-executive chair is that you are not responsible for delivering anything.  That job falls to the executive members of the organisation, or specifically in this case, the executive members of the Board and the Chief Executive Officer of Manx Care.  I'm not clear who if anyone has been appointed to this post - maybe it has not been filled yet - but the Chief Executive Officer of Manx Care should not of course be confused with the Chief Executive Officer of the Department of Health and Social Care, who is Kathryn Magson who lives in Hertfordshire.  The responsibility of the non-executive chair is to chair the Board and persuade them to do stuff, not to actually do anything yourself.

Here is the job description, closing date 12 July 2020:  

https://www.gov.im/media/1369448/non-executive-chair-manx-care-applicant-pack-v11.pdf

The successful applicant needs to have many outstanding qualities, including "Have a keen focus on the future, encouraging innovation and support change...Ability to think strategically, understand complex issues and make decisions...Experienced in challenging behaviours, attitudes and culture which present a barrier to improvement of services in a collaborative manner...Analytical, critical thinking and pragmatic approach to addressing complex financial issues and strategic business delivery."  Yep, that sounds like me.  I might just bung in an application.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will write a book on this later and post it here chapter by chapter. The conclusion will be that it is, probably, completely hopeless.

The starting point would be to fire and ban from the island all UK doctors; having an entire new cultural system I mean. The "stay at home to protect the NHS" is the emblema of all what is wrong with it. Politics corrupts everything.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm surprised (But not surprised) that Magson is still in post. If I was the Minister she'd be gone already. Maybe she has...?

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Debbie said:

I will write a book on this later and post it here chapter by chapter. The conclusion will be that it is, probably, completely hopeless.

The starting point would be to fire and ban from the island all UK doctors; having an entire new cultural system I mean. The "stay at home to protect the NHS" is the emblema of all what is wrong with it. Politics corrupts everything.

 

Manx law requires that all doctors working here must be on the UK General Medical Council register.  I'm not saying that your instinct to have a clear-out may not be right, but a ban on UK-registered medics wouldn't work.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I'm surprised (But not surprised) that Magson is still in post. If I was the Minister she'd be gone already. Maybe she has...?

Why? Speaking to people who work for her say she is very approachable, makes decisions and is good at her job.

Edited by Golfer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I'm surprised (But not surprised) that Magson is still in post. If I was the Minister she'd be gone already. Maybe she has...?

Not without the inevitable pay-off of course.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could do that & I don't need relocating (silence in the cheap seats)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does riding a Harley help?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BallaDoc said:

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=56295&headline=Wanted: Someone to lead health and care transformation in the Isle of Man&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2020#readComments

"Now recruitment has begun for an independent non-executive chair for Manx Care. He or she will be responsible for ensuring transformed health and social care services are delivered for the people of the island."

Well, actually, no.  I grappled with this paragraph at some length while trying to figure out what was wrong with this picture.  The whole point of being a non-executive chair is that you are not responsible for delivering anything.  That job falls to the executive members of the organisation, or specifically in this case, the executive members of the Board and the Chief Executive Officer of Manx Care.  I'm not clear who if anyone has been appointed to this post - maybe it has not been filled yet - but the Chief Executive Officer of Manx Care should not of course be confused with the Chief Executive Officer of the Department of Health and Social Care, who is Kathryn Magson who lives in Hertfordshire.  The responsibility of the non-executive chair is to chair the Board and persuade them to do stuff, not to actually do anything yourself.

Here is the job description, closing date 12 July 2020:  

https://www.gov.im/media/1369448/non-executive-chair-manx-care-applicant-pack-v11.pdf

The successful applicant needs to have many outstanding qualities, including "Have a keen focus on the future, encouraging innovation and support change...Ability to think strategically, understand complex issues and make decisions...Experienced in challenging behaviours, attitudes and culture which present a barrier to improvement of services in a collaborative manner...Analytical, critical thinking and pragmatic approach to addressing complex financial issues and strategic business delivery."  Yep, that sounds like me.  I might just bung in an application.

Oh...how quaint and amusing. You expect an IOM government job notice to be accurate, logical, correctly composed and cogent. How endearingly naive.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Does riding a Harley help?

How is that waste of space getting on with Robinson Crusoe ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...