Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
BallaDoc

Wanted: Someone to lead health and care transformation in the Isle of Man

7 hours ago, Uhtred said:

This post of non-exec Chair currently being recruited needs to be someone whose principal talent is telling politicians to fuck off.

I could do that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I could do that.

Gizza job! (Apply for it).

I rather think you would be the ideal candidate even though being able to tell folk how it is , is no doubt only one of your many, undoubted talents!

• Haha 1

I thought this requirement spoke volumes:

What do you need to be successful in this role?

An understanding of the IOM political landscape.

They just can't help themselves....

• Like 1

Does the application form also demand that the candidate have respect for Isle of Man government?

7 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Does the application form also demand that the candidate have respect for Isle of Man government?

That would require a possibly incriminating and/or disqualifying answer :lol:

• Like 1

On 6/25/2020 at 11:10 PM, Patient centred said:

Where are you going to get your doctors from then? As far as I know there isn’t a medical school on the island. Perhaps employ a few locally bred pagan witch doctors instead? 

You may be right as concerns the practicality of it. Our "NHS" is piggybacked on "England NHS"; and it may be difficult to do much better; we simply do not have the economy of scale.

However, I think we could try. Our GP wages are double those of France... You can hire doctors from both other European countries and from places like India. They would come, because pay conditions here are so much better. And we could join forces with the other crown dependencies and share some of the resources that will be necessary. The point is that UK's NHS is so corrupted by politics... that frankly, just fixing that would bring improvement.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Foot Loose said:

However, I think we could try. Our GP wages are double those of France... You can hire doctors from both other European countries and from places like India. They would come, because pay conditions here are so much better. And we could join forces with the other crown dependencies and share some of the resources that will be necessary. The point is that UK's NHS is so corrupted by politics... that frankly, just fixing that would bring improvement.

You need to be careful about comparing GPs 'wages' in particular because in the UK they may also be paying out from that for the costs of running their practices.  The exact ways things are done will vary from country to country and different countries will also have different 'mixes' of those ways, so comparing averages is very difficult.

Importing doctors from elsewhere in the world is hardly a new idea.  Indeed it's been what has been keeping the NHS going for many decades.  A third of UK doctors qualified else[1] - in 2017 it was 67% UK, 9% EEA and the rest of the world 24%.  And that number has actually been falling (it was only 62% UK in 2012) as staying to work India and so on became more financially rewarding.  Some places like Australia and New Zealand not only attracting their own nationals back but also those from the UK.  So it is unlikely that we could provide a better offer than the UK does at the moment and in any case we don't control our own immigration or indeed registration of doctors.

[1]  By their first medical degree at least.  Obviously the UK figures include those who came from elsewhere as medical students.

3 hours ago, Foot Loose said:

You may be right as concerns the practicality of it. Our "NHS" is piggybacked on "England NHS"; and it may be difficult to do much better; we simply do not have the economy of scale.

Omg. This is your reasoning? And the isle of Mans health service? Believe me, I have never worked anywhere that was more corrupted by politics. 

• Like 1