Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
x-in-man

PayPal account opening

Try to open a paypal account for a pal but get stuck trying to get the bloody verification text.  They say it’s the service provider, service provider say it’s them.  Anyone else having a problem?

50 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

Try to open a paypal account for a pal but get stuck trying to get the bloody verification text.  They say it’s the service provider, service provider say it’s them.  Anyone else having a problem?

No need for paypal when you shop local...

Thanks for that useless fucking input.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

The Isle of Man (Manx Talecom) factor can be a bit of a bugger. 

14 hours ago, x-in-man said:

I had a problem getting 2FA login SMS codes sent to my mobile a few weeks ago. Contacting PayPal support was a nightmare. 

After a few days the messages just started coming through again. Never did get an answer as to who or why, and I appreciate this doesn't solve your issue, but it sounds like it isn't an isolated incident. 

I've found that logging in and making payments on Paypal has been excruciatingly slow over the past 2+ weeks....don't whether it's down to local internet service or Paypal itself though.

Posted (edited)

I've had the same issue with banks that need codes sent to mobile by SMS for verification etc. 

Bought a dual sim phone and now have a 3 Sim inside in addition to my manx telecom SIM.

I think there is some issue with the SMS transfer to Manx numbers. They come through fine to UK numbers even if they are roaming here..

Edited by mad_manx

Gave up on the receiving text option, as they never came, use an Authenticator app now. Still a bit of a pain though.

Use somebody else's mobile number. Once the profile is set-up, you can go in and change it to your own mobile number. 

Which requires a verification text to be sent to the new number

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, x-in-man said:

Yes. But that could be a number in the UK of a close friend or family .

Just get them to send it to you ASAP 

But if you want to do it yourself just get a UK sim. Even a PAYG sim works well for texts. 

Edited by mad_manx

On 7/1/2020 at 9:42 PM, x-in-man said:

True but a post-setup verification text is more likely to be received than a pre-setup verification text. PayPal charge you for text messages as well, so make sure to have credit on your phone otherwise you won't get a text message.

On 6/29/2020 at 7:45 PM, x-in-man said:

I’m with Sure and I haven’t had any problems with verification texts, I use the UK prefix +44, so it looks something like (+44)076242*****. Ive been told many a time to swap out the zero for the +44 but this format has always worked for me.

Swapped to UK, made sure the +44 shows, the number is confirmed as +447624 etc, still nowt.

Others get through fine, just not PP.

Still getting the ‘it’s them not us’ from both sides.

MT contract phone number.

It’s an MT contract phone if that makes any difference.

I’m in town later, I’ll drop into Sure and ask them if they have any problems and get a PAYG Sim if they say it’s not an issue.

Dealing with anything with Manx or the Isle of Man in its name is like pulling teeth lately.

Manx Gas

Manx Telecom

IOM Bank

Even that Google issue with apps still ain’t fixed. 

FFS it’s 2020, we are supposed to a forward looking IT island attracting big online businesses - we cannot even get a fucking bus lane right.

An election is coming up, maybe questions need to be asked - anyone know a serial question asker in Tynwald who now has some spare time??

I logged into paypal this morning for the first time in months and it made me add a phone number, so I did, got a verification code in about 2 minutes. I'm on sure.

• Thanks 1