Jump to content
Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
b4mbi

IOMSPC 190 !!

Recommended Posts

The Isle of Man Steam Packet Company Limited celebrates it's 190th birthday today and is the oldest continually operating passenger shipping company in the world.

Originally called the Mona's Isle Company, it was formed after the princely sum of £6,000 was raised!

Whatever gripes and moans we all have about it, we should be proud of the consistent service it has provided as the Island's lifeline over all of this time. 

Happy Birthday!

(Can't hurt to have the occasional positive post can it?!)

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, that is quite an achievement.  

Wish they would bring back the oiled wool jumpers though!  Would definitely have one. 

  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Yes, that is quite an achievement.  

Wish they would bring back the oiled wool jumpers though!  Would definitely have one. 

Yes. They really were the business weren't they? Had almost forgotten about them. Why not? They could start a cult with the right exposure.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

The Isle of Man Steam Packet Company Limited celebrates it's 190th birthday today and is the oldest continually operating passenger shipping company in the world.

Barring a few strikes and a forced financial restructuring.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Yes, that is quite an achievement.  

Wish they would bring back the oiled wool jumpers though!  Would definitely have one. 

They were brilliant, I still have one somewhere although it no longer fits me. I think they had plans for a relaunch but not sure if it's happening now?

2 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

In the spirit of positivity I will say the lady of man was my all time favourite steampacket boat

Which one, the last one or the 1930 version? That and the 1927 Ben my Chree were something else. I guess their sister, the Mona's Queen was a belter too but lost at Dunkirk.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

In the spirit of positivity I will say the lady of man was my all time favourite steampacket boat

Ditto. A fine vessel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

In the spirit of positivity I will say the lady of man was my all time favourite steampacket boat

Mona’s Isle for me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Neil Down said:

Mona’s Isle for me

Which one? The latest ship to carry that name did not perform very well after refit, and didn't last long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

Which one? The latest ship to carry that name did not perform very well after refit, and didn't last long.

It certainly wasn't the first four that's for sure... :thumbsup:

To be honest, any of the old style boats were better than the current vessel. They had a bit of character. The silver service restaurant on board always made the trip a bit special

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

The old Ben was my favourite x

Which one?  I’ve sailed on IV, V and VI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I loved all the sisters, the Ben IV and Lady 1 were amazing when I first travelled as a child and into my early teens, the side loaders were great.

My favourites have to be

Manx Viking, which was a Steam Packer boat for a while. Introducing true Ro-Ro travel, and integrated freight logistics, two round trips a day all year round,  modern facilities, comfortable seats, self serve. Dragging Manx travel into the C20.

Ben my Chree VI. It’s given sterling service day in day out. Travelled many more hours in service than any other steam packet boat. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Gladys said:

Yes, that is quite an achievement.  

Wish they would bring back the oiled wool jumpers though!  Would definitely have one. 

They sound like a fire hazard, likely why they are not around anymore?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I loved all the sisters, the Ben IV and Lady 1 were amazing when I first travelled as a child and into my early teens, the side loaders were great.

My favourites have to be

Manx Viking, which was a Steam Packer boat for a while. Introducing true Ro-Ro travel, and integrated freight logistics, two round trips a day all year round,  modern facilities, comfortable seats, self serve. Dragging Manx travel into the C20.

Ben my Chree VI. It’s given sterling service day in day out. Travelled many more hours in service than any other steam packet boat. 

Agree about the Manx Viking. It also had a dedicated bunking area for freight drivers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...