I have noticed an english reg van working on the promenade recently with EXCEL advertising, presumably this is key worker from across...he did not appear to be wearing any mask and also had a local man in his van?! Surely this puts us in danger of another resurgence of COVID if this man is then going home to his family, to the shops etc?

Does anyone know the procedures for ensuring these key workers stick to the rules whilst they are here or is it just a free for all, especially after the working day is over? Is anyone checking on them?

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Pstans66 said:

I have noticed an english reg van working on the promenade recently with EXCEL advertising, presumably this is key worker from across...he did not appear to be wearing any mask and also had a local man in his van?! Surely this puts us in danger of another resurgence of COVID if this man is then going home to his family, to the shops etc?

Does anyone know the procedures for ensuring these key workers stick to the rules whilst they are here or is it just a free for all, especially after the working day is over? Is anyone checking on them?

Why would he wear a mask?

29 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Why would he wear a mask?

The CM said in a briefing that  the key workers that have traveled across are to not go to restaurants, bars etc stay 2m away from locals. (presumably for the two week period until they are deemed to not have the virus) So surely if they're working / sitting next to a local man in a van they should wear a mask if they haven't isolated 'without leaving the property' for two weeks. 

1 minute ago, Pstans66 said:

The CM said in a briefing that  the key workers that have traveled across are to not go to restaurants, bars etc stay 2m away from locals. (presumably for the two week period until they are deemed to not have the virus) So surely if they're working / sitting next to a local man in a van they should wear a mask if they haven't isolated 'without leaving the property' for two weeks. 

Since you appear to know all the answers, what exactly are you fishing for?

1 minute ago, Neil Down said:

Since you appear to know all the answers, what exactly are you fishing for?

They’re asking a perfectly valid question. Are key workers allowed to come over here, not quarantine, then just join other other workers working in a non socially isolated way without having to wear PPE to protect others despite literally just stepping off the boat from the UK where a lot of the north of England is a Covid hot spot. I’d like to know the answer too. 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

They’re asking a perfectly valid question. Are key workers allowed to come over here, not quarantine, then just join other other workers working in a non socially isolated way without having to wear PPE to protect others despite literally just stepping off the boat from the UK where a lot of the north of England is a Covid hot spot. I’d like to know the answer too. 

It's a valid question I agree. One he appears to know all the answers to as he is answering them himself. So not sure what he's fishing for

eta - it makes a  nonsense of shutting the borders if they are allowing this to happen

Edited by Neil Down
6 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

It's a valid question I agree. One he appears to know all the answers to as he is answering them himself. So not sure what he's fishing for

eta - it makes a  nonsense of shutting the borders if they are allowing this to happen

Not really.  With this in theory it should be easy to track and trace should someone become infected, which is pretty much what the government have been saying for the last month or so.  

If the borders are just opened then 1. obviously there would be loads more movement and an increased risk of the infection being brought in, and 2. it would be far harder to identify the source and track and trace effectively.

22 minutes ago, Chef Raekwon said:

Not really.  With this in theory it should be easy to track and trace should someone become infected, which is pretty much what the government have been saying for the last month or so.  

If the borders are just opened then 1. obviously there would be loads more movement and an increased risk of the infection being brought in, and 2. it would be far harder to identify the source and track and trace effectively.

Tracking and tracing is all good and well but with the stats IOM / global health bodies have posted regarding asymptomatic carriers, the amount of people that the virus can be transmitted to without suitable distancing  and the incubation period without symptoms, it could then be too late? 

My question was  exactly as Mr Newbie surmised; If these key workers aren't isolating, are they distancing, is anyone checking this? I think it would be naive to presume it's only the construction industry that have key workers arriving, so how many people are coming across without isolating? 

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Chef Raekwon said:

what if the key worker is a carrier without knowing it. He passes it on ad infinitum and the track and trace goes to pot

43 minutes ago, Pstans66 said:

My question was  exactly as Mr Newbie surmised; If these key workers aren't isolating, are they distancing, is anyone checking this? I think it would be naive to presume it's only the construction industry that have key workers arriving, so how many people are coming across without isolating? 

This is what’s pissed me off from the start. We’ve all been under complete lockdown under threat of jail and heavy fines from the start but key workers (a very broad brush term that seems to also include people digging holes in the road) get to do what the fuck they like unchecked like they can’t possibly spread anything as they work for government. There is no testing at the port so clearly these people are coming in and mingling with work colleagues whilst not being required to wear any PPE or socially distance as they work. Then they piss off back to the UK again. Once more unchecked and no need to isolate for 14 days in the UK. Some are doing it every week in and out with no restrictions on them and some no doubt living in Covid hotspots in the UK. The same rules should apply for all or none at all. It’s a complete joke. What did we lock up Manxies in the Comis for if this is how the public sector operates? 

Edited by Mr Newbie
  • Like 1

Jesus this is like East Germany. FFS is its bothering you, report them via the 111 covid Line. Posting on a web forum changes fuck all.

Stan, if you want the numbers do you think its best to whine like a baby on a forum, or go and look for the answers yourself? I found the data easily enough.

• Like 2