Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
doc.fixit

IOM camping

I wonder if there is a list of campsites on the island? I see the Claddaghs is re-opening and booking is through,'Eventbrite'. 

As usual the report does not indicate how to get in touch with Eventbrite, whoever they are. 

I get so frustrated when such things are reported without easy instructions to how to book them. The Mooragh t Ramsey is booked through the town hall, Peel is booked through their town hall or sometimes the site warden but it's a game to find out such information.

So, I would think it very beneficial to our so called tourist trade if there was an easily accessible list of sites and locations and booking contacts. It would certainly benefit me !

How about a central, well published system available to all? Maybe that's too easy and, 'they',  actually don't want campers and motorhomes here. I know, that's silly and I shouldn't think such things but I can't see any other reason why it's not made easier but then I'm not paid long thousands to push the tourist trade, or lack of it.

No, didn't even know it existed but I will now!

Sort of makes my point though, I live here of course but was unaware of it! My bad or rubbish publicity?

Thanks for the heads up though.

Just now, doc.fixit said:

No, didn't even know it existed but I will now!

Sort of makes my point though, I live here of course but was unaware of it! My bad or rubbish publicity?

Thanks for the heads up though.

I'll be honest, I didn't either. Just had a quick google during my lunch. I believe there is also a facebook page 

• Like 1

Camping was so much better when we were kids and just rocked up anywhere and pitched our tents.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

I wonder if there is a list of campsites on the island? I see the Claddaghs is re-opening and booking is through,'Eventbrite'. 

As usual the report does not indicate how to get in touch with Eventbrite, whoever they are. 

There you go.

Eventbrite is used quite a lot by government departments, MNH and so on to book things, but it's not the easiest site to navigate or browse to see what is on locally.

And in this case it rather makes your point about ease of booking.  Because it says: Overnight Camping permit must be obtained from DEFA before applying for this ticket.  Why not make it easy for people to do the two together?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

Camping was so much better when we were kids and just rocked up anywhere and pitched our tents.

....and were throwing up cheap cider within two hours. Those were the days.

• Haha 4

It still is, why they've seen the need to over regulate it I have no idea. You can't camp on anywhere near as much of it as you used to be able to, and even the bits you can are only open certain times of the year. You have to apply for a permit in advance, which you have to pay for - it really isn't worth going there anymore.

God knows what the old fella who left it to the people as common land for recreation would think of it all, he's probably spinning in his grave.

We're too accepting of this sort of bollocks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

yes, buy a camping permit ,  it it seasonal or just for a specific date ?  if it pisses down and you don't go you'd want a refund or have it carried forward till you can use it.

I prefer the system at Peel where you can just turn up and get a pitch. Still find it good fun, even at my age, to just wander along there, park up and have a few days in the van, having an ice cream or chips on the prom and generally behaving like a tourist. It's good seeing a familiar place in a different way.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WTF said:

yes, buy a camping permit ,  it it seasonal or just for a specific date ?  if it pisses down and you don't go you'd want a refund or have it carried forward till you can use it.

There was something about this on the radio yesterday but I didn't catch all of it. Booking in advance, a list of "don't" on a bog roll, permit inspection Nazis, something about only staying 3 days, distancing from the next tent (might have been something to do with fire regs actually). What happened to the days when you could just rock up with a Transit and a tent and get pissed?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chris C said:

It still is, why they've seen the need to over regulate it I have no idea. You can't camp on anywhere near as much of it as you used to be able to, and even the bits you can are only open certain times of the year. You have to apply for a permit in advance, which you have to pay for - it really isn't worth going there anymore.

God knows what the old fella who left it to the people as common land for recreation would think of it all, he's probably spinning in his grave.

Who was the old fella that left it to the people as common land? I suspect that story might be bollocks

wasn't there some problems at the Claddagh maybe 5-6 years ago with damage to the toilet block etc - so much so that the guy who provided the water supply turned it off - usually these restrictions come about because of earlier problems + complaints from locals.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chris C said:

Back in 2010 some bye laws were introduced to prevent fun breaking out.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/mobile/world/europe/isle_of_man/8644227.stm

Flint Eastwood appears to be the new sheriff:shifty:

• Haha 1