Petition For Removal of Bus/Cycle Lane - Glencrutchery Road

37 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I dunno man, before lockdown I was doing a lot of work in Laxey so going the opposite way to the traffic in the morning, and there was an awful lot of it then, certainly governors bridge back to onchan. 

I have no doubt that the DoI are not helping the situation.

it's always backed up through to Onchan.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No one is denying that there will be extra traffic coming through because of the Prom closure to North to South traffic.  The question is whether the best way to deal with increased traffic is to put

Yes I went through before and the tailbacks were huge for a Sunday afternoon. The queue for the lights was almost back to the junction to go to Police HQ. It’s pathetic. They just need to stop doing t

Ask yourself, was there any point in introducing it in the first instance? 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, GreyWolf said:

The problem is a department not fit for purpose, agree lot more cars on the road and many many more to come as population grows it’s only going to get worse folks.

That’s true. The man at the top is a complete idiot, the bloke below him is an angry useless little twat, and the guy who is his right hand man is basically just serially incompetent. And that’s before you even factor some of the others in. 

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, Manx Expat said:
43 minutes ago, Manx Expat said:

That’s true. The man at the top is a complete idiot, the bloke below him is an angry useless little twat, and the guy who is his right hand man is basically just serially incompetent. And that’s before you even factor some of the others in. 

N Black CEO DOI 

J Robinson Director of Highway services

P Singer Director of projects 

J Reece Chief Engineer

A Burrows Project Manager 

K Podmore Design Team Leader 

G Saunders Construction  Manager 

6 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

it's always backed up through to Onchan.

Nope.  Even at peak times, I  have rarely seen the traffic backed up to the grandstand, and I use that road every day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
23 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Nope.  Even at peak times, I  have rarely seen the traffic backed up to the grandstand, and I use that road every day. 

The other thing to consider is that there are a lot of people still working from home. Once everyone is recalled to their workplace that is going to add more vehicles into the mix.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Gladys said:

Regularly backed up beyond Dukes Avenue

2 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

The other thing to consider is that there are a lot of people still working from home. Once everyone is recalled to their workplace that is going to add more vehicles into the mix.

Certainly this is true but I think people need to leave earlier or later and take a different route.  More ways into Douglas than just via Governors Bridge.

There is an element of drivers being unable, or just plain reluctant to change their routine. The latter just adding to the problem.

Broken-down, fully laden scaffolders wagon holding up traffic at Pully bridge lights southbound at the moment. Can't plan for something like that either. 

• Thanks 1

Are people really commuting from Onchan to Douglas everyday?  Why not use the buses or car share or walk into Douglas?  How over reliant are people on cars for this to be an issue?

(apologies but I don't travel that way in the morning.)

27 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Are people really commuting from Onchan to Douglas everyday?  Why not use the buses or car share or walk into Douglas?  How over reliant are people on cars for this to be an issue?

(apologies but I don't travel that way in the morning.)

Given the traffic and parking situation in Douglas, if I lived in Onchan and worked in Douglas I would be ebiking or taking a moped into work (full waterproof oversuit at the ready). The only thing that would have stopped me in the past would be the dropping and picking up the kids at nursery/school. People seem to forget mopeds, they are small, cheap, easy to park and perfect for shortish commutes.

This morning the traffic at 8.30am was backed up through Onchan nearly to Groudle Glen. It was also blocked up halfway down Summerhill (Onchan side) and halfway up Summerhill (Douglas side) with people wanting to turn up Blackberry Lane. Closing the Douglas side of Summerhill is only going to make it worse especially if you live on the prom and need to drive down south or up to the business park to get to the offices there in the morning.

• Like 2

What about air quality with vehicles, slow-moving and stationary? Surely higher concentrations of pollutants? Come to think of it, higher concentrations of stress-induced CHR, cortisol and catecholamine too, can't be good for the workforce arriving at work all strung out and the thought of having to face the same illogical delays homewards just compounds the idiocy of it all. 

3 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Get the bus and listen to the right music on decent headphones and arrive at work feeling great :)

And arrive even later than you normally would because some prat in DoI thought it was a good idea to create a bus (and cycle only) lane before a major junction where no tailbacks existed before.

A lot of people have changed their routine. Traffic is now backed up to Cronk-y-Berry on Johnny Wattersons lane in the mornings, and the traffic turning off the mountain road onto Johnny Wattersons Lane backs up as far as Hillberry. I used to get to work by 8am, now it's taking 10-15mins longer. It doesn't matter to me because I don't need to be in until 8:30am so I'm not too bothered about leaving earlier to avoid it. 

Plenty of people won't be able to change their routine, though. Dropping kids at school or nursery can only be done at certain times, and there are only so many routes into Douglas if you're coming from Onchan/North. 

• Like 2