Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Petition

Petition For Removal of Bus/Cycle Lane - Glencrutchery Road

On 7/14/2020 at 3:44 PM, hissingsid said:

For me the issue is going to Onchan from Victoria Road you have to wait until there is a gap in two lots of traffic if the traffic is moving slowly not too bad but if as yesterday a driver from Douglas came at it full pelt, Ihad to stop, the Onchan traffic to Douglas had to stop until a kind driver let me filter in and down the dip.    I was discussing this with a friend today and the same thing had happened to them, it is crackers.

If they are to persevere with that layout, the way to solve the danger and congestion at a stroke would be to make it an unmarked junction with no approach having priority. That would enforce the 20mph as people drive onto the junction (much less, actually), because nobody would know if some idiot coming the other way was about to take them out. It forces them to be aware and ready to give way. It works very well, similar to when traffic lights fail at junctions. Everyone calms down, helps each other and they all get on their way with no major holdups and often better than when the traffic lights are operating.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, woolley said:

If they are to persevere with that layout, the way to solve the danger and congestion at a stroke would be to make it an unmarked junction with no approach having priority. That would enforce the 20mph as people drive onto the junction (much less, actually), because nobody would know if some idiot coming the other way was about to take them out. It forces them to be aware and ready to give way. It works very well, similar to when traffic lights fail at junctions. Everyone calms down, helps each other and they all get on their way with no major holdups and often better than when the traffic lights are operating.

Yep,  the problem is endless streams of 'entitled' people whizzing through at 40/50 mph!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, finlo said:

Yep,  the problem is endless streams of 'entitled' people whizzing through at 40/50 mph!

I go through there several times each day and have yet to see a single policeman or DOI bod monitoring the antics.

• Like 1

https://www.change.org/p/isle-of-man-government-minister-for-infrastructure-remove-bus-cycle-lane-from-glencrutchery-road/u/27335293

Following various emails to island MHK's (Douglas, Onchan, Garff, Middle and Ramsey) it would appear that concerns regarding the Bus/Cycle Lane are very widespread. Some MHK's have approached the Minister for Infrastructure (Tim Baker) raising concerns and requesting further information and a meeting was held with the Minister, the D.O.I and Douglas and Onchan MHK's to discuss the various issues. I am told that some suggestions were made and that the D.O.I. is to come back to the table with feedback. At this stage, nothing really of any substance.

THERE WILL BE A DEMONSTRATION TOMORROW (Tuesday 21st July) OUTSIDE GOVERNMENT OFFICES BETWEEN 8am and 12pm. This is an iniative by island Taxi drivers - it is important to note that they are not demonstrating to achieve Taxi access to the Bus/Cycle Lane - they are demonstrating to seek the outright removal of it. Please do attend if you are able to give up any of your time - or if you are driving past Government Offices, please do 'honk your horn' to show your support.

As things stand, the Bus/Cycle Lane remains insitu, however, how it came into being in the first place raises MANY questions with regard to Corporate Governance and accountability.

This lane appeared overnight and it was implemented WITHOUT any consultation with the public, with our elected representative MHK's, with the Police - not only that, it was implemented without having completed the necessary planning approval/processes which were completed retrospectively, which is why the Police were unable to enforce the lane (power to issue fines, etc) until some time AFTER the lane was instated. The order for the bus lane was applied for 10 days after it was implemented and it came into force a full 17 days after it was implemented.

Could we do that if we wanted to extend our house? Drop the kerb outside our house for easier access?? (etc) No. We could not. We would be expected to follow due process.

This does rather beg the question... to whom is the D.O.I. accountable?

With no public support, with no Police support, with no MHK support and in fact with NO LEGAL BASIS, the D.O.I. are apparently able to decide 'on a whim' to do whatever takes their fancy (paint up new Bus/Cycle Lanes) and apparently nobody can do anything about it.

So, I repeat - to whom is the D.O.I. accountable????

Please do share this update and please do attend Government Offices (or honk your horn) tomorrow morning to demonstrate your support for the removal of this Bus/Cycle Lane. Thanks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

A demonstration about a bus lane? Jesus h lord christ give me strength

I'm afraid if you need strength from the Lord and his Holy cohorts for such a simple thing then you are beyond the reach of mortal assistance....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, the stinking enigma said:

Fair point. Any hot looking chicks in the front row? 

... you will find them if you avoid the Holy Pearly Gates and head South instead... lots of them... really hot ones...

Try Sanatogen, Stinky!

On Sunday evening, a group of cyclists, heading south, were straddling the solid white line, drivers were not able to overtake because of oncoming traffic. More like moutain bikers that road race bikes.

Could well have been they were heading for Bray Hill and reserving their space in the centre lane but......... wouldn't you think with all the bad feelings this bike bus lane has created, that they would show a little more awareness of 'Bike Privilege???'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Petition said:

lots of them... really hot ones

..but wont their eyebrow wax have melted???

37 minutes ago, Kopek said:

..but wont their eyebrow wax have melted???

... you should see what it does to their lip fillers... don't get me started on the enhanced boobies... stuff of nightmares. But they are very hot, yes.

I believe another gripe the Taxi drivers have is the soon to be starting , this weekend I think , late bus from all destinations at gone 1 am . The night owl has been around 10 past midnight but now a even later one . I think Ramsey to Douglas say full fare is around £7.00 . A friend though reckons they will stuggle to get drivers as it means getting home at 2 30 ish . 

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I guess bandwagons and gravy trains are not allowed in the bus lane either...I’ll get my coat

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

I believe another gripe the Taxi drivers have is the soon to be starting , this weekend I think , late bus from all destinations at gone 1 am . The night owl has been around 10 past midnight but now a even later one . I think Ramsey to Douglas say full fare is around £7.00 . A friend though reckons they will stuggle to get drivers as it means getting home at 2 30 ish . 

They are just putting them back on. They've run for years. Usually empty by the time they get out of Douglas/Onchan.