Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Petition

Petition For Removal of Bus/Cycle Lane - Glencrutchery Road

I hope they keep it after the prom reopens to show the whinging cunts that the real issue is displaced prom traffic.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

Its not really though is it?

It is not that difficult to drive through.

Does anyone remember the predictions of multiple fatalities on here when DOI put new traffic lights in Onchan village a few years ago, death count at that junction since installed = 0

Timings are still wrong in Onchan, as every day I see someone sneak through on amber and sometimes red when coming down Avondale road. By the time they reach the corner, the lights on the main road are on green. I see a near miss most days and I only go through once each way each day. This week I saw a car that when through and joined the traffic as third car. Unbelievable.

These new layouts are not needed, but we are likely to be stuck with them, so education of the stupid needs to happen. I heard The Mannin Line the other day and could not believe just how stupid some drivers can be.

Within about 10 minutes, one driver (I think Roger) reckoned when you go up Victoria Road, you have to stop at the Stop sign. Obvious. Then he reckoned you have to move across to a GiveWay sign and give way to northbound traffic while blocking southbound traffic.He thinks the curves lane marks into the Dip are a Give Way:o

Next a caller asked if anyone had any idea when the “ road works “ were due to start there , as they had seen nothing getting dug up.They obviously thought all the cones etc were for some repairs.

The third caller said it was crazy that the new lane at St Ninians was only for cycles and that buses had to wait in the outside lane like the cars and only filter left near the lights.

That was just three people with stupid remarks in just 10 minutes.

Edited by Scotty
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Scotty said:

The third caller said it was crazy that the new lane at St Ninians was only for cycles and that buses had to wait in the outside lane like the cars and only filter left near the lights.

Why was that stupid?  I really want to understand because I cannot work out how changing that lane to cycles only helps.  

I was in the centre lane wanting to go left today, the left filter was green but I couldn't join the lane as I was too far back, like many other vehicles. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

I was in the centre lane wanting to go left today, the left filter was green but I couldn't join the lane as I was too far back, like many other vehicles. 

I've only driven through there once since the changes, and was the first in the centre lane queue that  was supposed to sit by an unbroken white line, while the left hand lane was completely empty, and the filter light was green. I think I did what most people on here would do - I checked my mirrors, etc., and filtered left, a car length early. It's that stupid layout that is causing the queues to tail back into the centre of Onchan. A lot more people want to take the left turn there than they seem to think, and it is forcing more than necessary to turn left down Victoria Road and battle it out from there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

I've only driven through there once since the changes, and was the first in the centre lane queue that  was supposed to sit by an unbroken white line, while the left hand lane was completely empty, and the filter light was green. I think I did what most people on here would do - I checked my mirrors, etc., and filtered left, a car length early. It's that stupid layout that is causing the queues to tail back into the centre of Onchan. A lot more people want to take the left turn there than they seem to think, and it is forcing more than necessary to turn left down Victoria Road and battle it out from there.

So, it is not me being stupid.  Thank you. 

9 minutes ago, Gladys said:

So, it is not me being stupid.  Thank you. 

No you are not being stupid, had a better look today and the whole thing is a complete mess.

From the UK guidelines the following seem to be wrong

There are no blue signs warning of its commencement, no blue sign at its start, the painted bus only and cycle picture should just be bus lane, the two extra cycle pictures are a mystery, as you said last night is that start of a cycle only lane, the end of the lane  is marked out wrongly, there is no legal entrance or exit to the lay by with the recycling bins.

It will be interesting to see if they do book people and they contest it what will happen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

Its not really though is it?

It is not that difficult to drive through.

[...] The DOI are also correct in saying the tailbacks are caused by the prom being one way. There is a hell of a lot of traffic been shunted from the prom to Glencrutchery Rd.

No one is denying that there will be extra traffic coming through because of the Prom closure to North to South traffic.  The question is whether the best way to deal with increased traffic is to put in a bus lane[1] excluding 99% of it, to cope with about 10 buses an hour,  4 of which are unnecessary.

It's also worth pointing out that the purpose of road signage is not  to provide guidance for only the 'best' and most knowledgeable drivers, it's not even for the average driver.  It's for all drivers, including those encountering it for the first time or who may not be very confident or fast.  So if a lot of people are misunderstanding it, it clearly isn't doing its job.

[1]  As ever with DoI the cycle stuff is irrelevant greenwash, and actually increases the danger for cyclists.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

Why was that stupid?  I really want to understand because I cannot work out how changing that lane to cycles only helps.  

Why?
Because the caller didn’t know that the buses went down the bus lane. He thought it was cycles only, even though there are big letters spelling BUS. The caller reckoned that buse could only join the left lane near the lights.

10 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Why?
Because the caller didn’t know that the buses went down the bus lane. He thought it was cycles only, even though there are big letters spelling BUS. The caller reckoned that buse could only join the left lane near the lights.

That's where you are wrong.  It starts a bus and cycle lane, then after the crossing just has a cycle symbol. That is what I have been saying above. 

If every body who is intending to turn left at the lights, starts indicating left as soon as they enter the center lane maybe the muppets would realize just how many vehicles are turning left and could easily clear the junction allowing the buses to actually access the bus lane instead of being held up at the armco by the grand stand..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

If every body who is intending to turn left at the lights, starts indicating left as soon as they enter the center lane maybe the muppets would realize just how many vehicles are turning left and could easily clear the junction allowing the buses to actually access the bus lane instead of being held up at the armco by the grand stand..

But then again. I’ve been driving 25 years and I’ve never seen any real issues with traffic flow at that junction until a few weeks ago when the DOI decided to implement this stupid scheme so really, like a lot of things it gets involved in, doing nothing would seem to be the best course of action for the DOI. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Eh?

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Chris Thomas said:

S16 of first act refers to s15 of Road Traffic Regulation Act 1985 which covers signs. In fact it turns out the reference should have been to another section of that act according to a letter sent to all Tynwald members today.

That's strange.  You and others asked him for the DoI's legal implementation documents for these road changes and it takes them ten days to reply.  You'd think that with it all being so recent, that they'd have them immediately to hand.  I'm sure that they sent them out straight away and it's just that the internet is slow at the moment and it took ten days to get to you.  Otherwise it would imply that they had acted without legal backing - who could imagine such a thing - and had to spend the time since hurriedly bodging something together. 

22 hours ago, Chris Thomas said:

Minister Baker sent copy of two notices and wrote:

”Please find the notices attached for your information. Initially, the bus/cycle lane was introduced as an advisory lane with effect from 15th June and did not need a formal notice. Unfortunately, it was reported that some drivers were abusing the use of the lane, creating a safety concern. As a result, a 7 day ‘Emergency Traffic Signs Notice’ was issued the following day to facilitate enforcement action, should it be required. The Department has also implemented a statutory notice so that enforcement can be undertaken until 8th September. The appropriate notice period was given in a local newspaper before this notice came into force and I can confirm that the Department has acted within its powers at all times.”

I can't help feeling the word 'advisory' is doing quite a lot of work there and surely and I would have thought an "advisory lane"[1] would need just as much legal justification as one that was compulsory.  The advisory bit is how road users treat it, not whether it's put on the road or not.  But in any case drivers can't be 'abusing' the lane if it's advisory - they're just deciding not to follow the advice, maybe if there's no buses around for example, perfectly reasonably.

[1]  Assuming such a thing even exists in legislation.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Punctuation
  • Like 1