Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Petition

Petition For Removal of Bus/Cycle Lane - Glencrutchery Road

Could it be that 'Amateur Cyclists' who use the lights controlled crossing to get to the other side, are provided with a cycle sign to point out the 'this' is the cycle lane?

One can't help but wonder if this new scheme has made any difference to the traffic flow through Douglas?

Would a  tidal scheme along the Prom have been a better solution at peak flow  times ? I can understand the DoI concerns about such schemes, we are not used to them, may find them difficult to understand? I have only come across them in the US. where they work but we can't even flow at a roundabout!!!

5 minutes ago, Kopek said:

One can't help but wonder if this new scheme has made any difference to the traffic flow through Douglas?

Traffic flow has worked fine for 30 years and more. It’s only turned to crap since they’ve changed it. 

• Like 2

Quite simply, I would challenge them to revert to the prior layout for a week, or even just one day, to see the effect on traffic flow.

I would put money on traffic flow improving. As would the majority of the lab test commuters currently struggling with it.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, pongo said:

I'm not part of any cycling lobby.

People parking in the street restricts the flow of traffic.

:lol:

1 hour ago, pongo said:

So should 85% of those who own houses without a drive get rid of their cars so you can drive into town and park yours ? Fuck off with your stupid ideas. 
Would you stop people in 1000s of flats here owning cars because they don’t have private off road parking ? You aren’t sane mate.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kopek said:

Well from my observations and DOI's explanation to justify this mess it was to enable Buses to keep to timetable. Interestingly once around St Ninians they are then faced with backups all the way down into town so I would have at a guess especially at peak times buses are all running late . Its not about lanes etc , its about amount of traffic which fortunatly currently is reduced but when everyone working from home goes back its going to be far worse .  

Edited by Numbnuts

14 hours ago, pongo said:

The solution is to remove them then install traffic calming measures

• Haha 1

They now seem to have been messing with the light timings. Coming up Bray hill to St Ninnians,  Though there must of been an RTC as long tailback to where road turns into two lanes. Traffic moving in short hops, Then got closer lights giving approx 3 to 4 cars time to get through lights. This is on a quite sunday afternoon good luck at normal traffic flow.

24 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

They now seem to have been messing with the light timings. Coming up Bray hill to St Ninnians,  Though there must of been an RTC as long tailback to where road turns into two lanes. Traffic moving in short hops, Then got closer lights giving approx 3 to 4 cars time to get through lights. This is on a quite sunday afternoon good luck at normal traffic flow.

Well what applies today doesn't need to be programmed in for a work day.

Also it may be that the lights on the grandstand side are being given longer.  Much less traffic coming up Bray Hill comparatively. 

27 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Then got closer lights giving approx 3 to 4 cars time to get through lights. This is on a quite sunday afternoon good luck at normal traffic flow.

Yes I went through before and the tailbacks were huge for a Sunday afternoon. The queue for the lights was almost back to the junction to go to Police HQ. It’s pathetic. They just need to stop doing the stupid arrogance thing they always do and just back down and admit it was a shit idea to do what they did. 

• Like 7

54 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

The timing of the lights coming up Bray Hill have always been very short, it is mad. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Southfork said:

You’re obviously part of the cycling idiot lobby. I would guess perhaps someone who is desperately trying to contain middle aged spread by hopelessly exposing the rest of the IOM to your sweaty flubber. 

You really are an idiot aren't you...

20 hours ago, Scotty said:

So should 85% of those who own houses without a drive get rid of their cars so you can drive into town and park yours ? Fuck off with your stupid ideas. 
Would you stop people in 1000s of flats here owning cars because they don’t have private off road parking ? You aren’t sane mate.

There are a considerable amount of homeowners with drives who park one or all of their fecking vehicles on the road

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

You really are an idiot aren't you...

Did you forget that you had already (poorly) trolled me for that comment previously? The only thing worse than a crap troll is a crap troll with dementia. 

Just now, Southfork said:

Did you forget that you had already (poorly) trolled me for that comment previously? The only thing worse than a crap troll is a crap troll with dementia. 

It's always worth pointing out how much of an idiot you are...