Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Gladys

Gas Fires

You are all pretty knowledge people.  I have a multi fuel stove in my living room that I would like to replace with a gas fire.  I do like a real fire, but it is dirty, a bit of a slog to clean out each evening and is quite costly in wood and coal. 

Can anyone recommend a fuel efficient gas fire and the best place to get one please? I am guessing it will have to be an online purchase as there are very few sellers of gas fires on the island. 

TIA. 

7 minutes ago, Gladys said:

You are all pretty knowledge people.  I have a multi fuel stove in my living room that I would like to replace with a gas fire.  I do like a real fire, but it is dirty, a bit of a slog to clean out each evening and is quite costly in wood and coal. 

Can anyone recommend a fuel efficient gas fire and the best place to get one please? I am guessing it will have to be an online purchase as there are very few sellers of gas fires on the island. 

TIA. 

Ask Manx Gas. When they remove their face masks, they are very helpful people really 

Just now, Scotty said:

Ask Manx Gas. When they remove their face masks, they are very helpful people really 

I have been to see them and they weren't particularly forthcoming. 

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

I have been to see them and they weren't particularly forthcoming. 

Oh, sorry. Apart from robbing me every 2 months, I find them very knowledgeable and helpful.

Ring Mike Kerruish 612406. Very decent guy running a great firm.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Gladys said:

TIA. 

It would probably be cheaper for you if you just burn £5 notes

5 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

It would probably be cheaper for you if you just burn £5 notes

Almost doing that with the multifuel stove.  

Gladys, we have a Firefox multi fuel and it really is economical. We use 10 pieces of Wildfire and three logs from about 6 pm and it's still going well when we go to bed at 10.30ish. We clean it out every three days and clean the glass daily. We find it quite economical. Our room is about 15ft by 10ft and the fire also warms the hallway and the dining room.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Gladys, we have a Firefox multi fuel and it really is economical. We use 10 pieces of Wildfire and three logs from about 6 pm and it's still going well when we go to bed at 10.30ish. We clean it out every three days and clean the glass daily. We find it quite economical. Our room is about 15ft by 10ft and the fire also warms the hallway and the dining room.

Hope this helps.

Christ Doc - a secret career as an estate agent!

Edited by Uhtred
  • Haha 1

B&Q stock them. Larger selection on line which they’ll deliver. We got one 12 years ago. Vermiculite bed, fake logs, naked flame. Looks good. Very expensive. Heat straight up the chimney.

Good for chill autumn and spring evenings when you’ve turned off the central heating.

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

Almost doing that with the multifuel stove.  

Buy your Kiln Dried Logs from Mark Whip then. We swear by them , not literally, but great value, great heat and from them, great service.
Grasshopper  498240. You will not be disappointed . Believe me.

• Thanks 2

Dunno what your domestic arrangements are Gladys in terms of storage space, and working facilities, but rather than swap the multi fuel stove for a stupidly expensive to run gas fire, do you have scope to buy bulk ‘slabwood’ from St. Johns sawmill and chainsaw it into logs (or have a friend do that for you)? It’s what my niece and her husband do and the resulting logs cost buttons compared to commercially bought ones and they last for 2 winters with the fire lit every day. If that’s not possible, you can buy offcut wood from the sawmill that doesn’t need chainsaw-ing, or big bags of logs. Might be worth exploring.

2 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

expensive?

£5-50 per bag, but burn great.

Hmmm, we buy a tote bag of cut logs for round about £40 a bag if we need to . I have storage space with two compartments that will take two tote bags each, so one if for last years logs and one for this years. I believe one year is long enough for drying although some say two years, not necessary in my opinion. I also gather a trailer full of logs off the beach after each big storm so plenty of fuel for free.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Scotty said:

Buy your Kiln Dried Logs from Mark Whip then. We swear by them , not literally, but great value, great heat and from them, great service.
Grasshopper  498240. You will not be disappointed . Believe me.

It's who we get ours from. Lovely guy and brilliant service

• Thanks 1