• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nobody's in charge of that ship, SMUJ. Or they're deluded if they think they are. Those who aren't deluded or have recently seen the election light have all recently departed. That ship is a self

Who could sack him ? Serious question. When did a Minister ever sack anyone ?  They're more likely to be pushed upwards out of the line of fire. Nobody ever gets sacked unless they're caught fiddling.

He'll choose a dinner one.

Posted Images

1 minute ago, manxman34 said:

Julie's packed in after 4 years. An astute move?

As pointed out in another thread that’s now Harmer, Moorhouse and Edge gone in the space of a few weeks.

The curse of the DOI at election time! 

25 minutes ago, manxman34 said:

Julie's packed in after 4 years. An astute move?

Yes, it’s an astute move to remove yourself from a blazing building. Edge’s self-justifying bollocks about being usurped by Maska are a smokescreen. DoI is a basket case (I sense there’s little confidence in Baker also). I’d have more respect for her if she’d said, ‘It’s a basket case; now the Summerhill thing will piss off my constituents, I’m outta there’. Cheap, but truthful.

Edited by Uhtred
  • Like 1

Rodents of the long-tailed, self-preserving variety departing a thoroughly unserviceable and sinking vessel.

• Haha 1

Guess it would be too much to ask for Quayle to get his fat ass into gear and deal with this ongoing issue with incompetence in DOI before the election next year . Its not going away anytime soon unless someone gets a grip. The world and its wife knows management are usless in that department led from the top by top failure Nick Black. Quayle for once in your life do something right and sort it for the new incumbents of Tynwald . I'm not holding my breath that he will though as they seem bullet proof in there . 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

With a mad Captain Ahab (Baker) in charge of the ship.

Nobody's in charge of that ship, SMUJ. Or they're deluded if they think they are. Those who aren't deluded or have recently seen the election light have all recently departed.

That ship is a self-justifying, self-serving entity whose only interest is itself and the egos of its own Petty Officers. Nothing else matters, least of all the interests and convenience of the public who fund it, a fact long-forgotten.

• Like 10

As said some time last year, a minister with balls and power should contract a big player from across,  like Costain, bring them in a finish the job in a month. The current management should be removed before any more mess is created. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Just now, NoTail said:

As said some time last year, a minister with balls and power should contract a big player from across,  like Costain, bring them in a finish the job in a month. The current management should be removed before any more mess is created. 

The DOI have already got staff from across employed, most of the Engineers are from off Island as the locals would not touch it, if there is money to be wasted the DOI will be at the head of the queue, btw the DOI do not shop local.

Self-serving and self-interested as usual from her.

Losing the housing gig will enable her to move onto Bob the Gobs turf re onchan commissioners rents running at a surplus (because unlike everyone else they exclude sheltered housing from their account). 

• Like 1

You're absolutely right Non-Believer and that sums up everything that's wrong. Administrative government with an empowered and unaccountable CS/PS given free rein to make all policy and decisions. All real power and authority is delegated to them. The only real outside input is from influential sectoral interests. The elected politicians are just there for show; to huff and puff, and to dress up for the occasion. As you say, it's self-serving and self-justifying. Going round in circles and never ending projects ensures and protects its interests, influence and indispensability. The carrot of effective (and expensive) solutions to problems is dangled before the donkey of Tynwald and they lead the elected government round and round. It's been this way for too long...    

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

You're absolutely right Non-Believer and that sums up everything that's wrong. Administrative government with an empowered and unaccountable CS/PS given free rein to make all policy and decisions. All real power and authority is delegated to them. The only real outside input is from influential sectoral interests. The elected politicians are just there for show; to huff and puff, and to dress up for the occasion. As you say, it's self-serving and self-justifying. Going round in circles and never ending projects ensures and protects its interests, influence and indispensability. The carrot of effective (and expensive) solutions to problems is dangled before the donkey of Tynwald and they lead the elected government round and round. It's been this way for too long...    

Can it be reformed SMUJ?

It's worth pointing out exactly what happened here:

Onchan member Julie Edge had been responsible for Housing and Public Estates within the DoI prior to the appointment of Marlene Maska MLC.

Ms Edge says the decision to remove the delegation from her was made without prior consultation, adding that giving it to an MLC is undemocratic.

In her resignation statement, she adds the final straw was the lack of discussion over next week's Summerhill closure at a meeting to discuss traffic issues in Onchan.

The housing brief is probably the 'safest' and least controversial one in DoI.  It may even give you the opportunity to do nice things for your constituents (I'm not sure how much DoI housing there is in Onchan).  So she's not going to want to take on something more controversial - certainly not roads or public transport when they are certainly being such a disaster.

Incidentally this will be an actual pay cut for Edge (unlike Moorhouse who still has a departmental membership) though she will still get a 10% upgrade for the Post Office.

5 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Guess it would be too much to ask for Quayle to get his fat ass into gear and deal with this ongoing issue with incompetence in DOI before the election next year . Its not going away anytime soon unless someone gets a grip. The world and its wife knows management are usless in that department led from the top by top failure Nick Black. Quayle for once in your life do something right and sort it for the new incumbents of Tynwald . I'm not holding my breath that he will though as they seem bullet proof in there . 

Mr Quayle will be leaving at the end of his premiership to a deserved gong of his choice from Her Majesty.

• Confused 1