Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
TheTeapot

Beecroft/Costain Quits

Her opinions seem to concur with much of what is frequently opined on MF.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Glad to see the back of her frankly. Sniped from the sidelines without offering alternatives when not a Minister and was instantly out of her depth and a piss-poor Minister when put in that role.

If she’s not well though then it’s sad whatever you think of her. Don't think she’s been much cop either but to resign so quickly for health reasons doesn’t sound good. So that’s two Douglas by-elections now for two seats that will give the successful candidates a year or thereabouts until they’re having to stand again. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Nellie said:

Two opportunities to get elected will, doubtless, bring out all sorts of chancers and has-beens, so expect a field of 6 plus candidates......

martin moore the angry beaver might throw his name in the hat

Edited by WTF
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, WTF said:

You can bet Josem will stand. I don’t even think he has a job at the moment either so maybe good timing for him. 

1 minute ago, WTF said:

Oh I really really hope so, and I urge anyone who can to VOTE MOORE

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

12 minutes ago, John Wright said:

HM Sole

R Sole more like!

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, finlo said:

R Sole more like!

A fight off between Josem, Moore, and H M Sole would be well worth following. 

Edited by Mr Newbie

12 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Oh I really really hope so, and I urge anyone who can to VOTE MOORE

The Russians will keeps him out again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Mr Newbie said:

A fight off between Josem, Moore, and H M Sole would be well worth following. 

But what would any of them bring to the House? What change or revolution that would actually be entertained within those hallowed walls?

Just now, Ham_N_Eggs said:

He's not very good at filling paperwork and the associated fees on time - see his repeated troubles with paying his VED.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

But what would any of them bring to the House? What change or revolution that would actually be entertained within those hallowed walls?

It’s only 12 months. They’d have to then stand to stay in for a full term in 2021 so it could be a laugh having a loon like HM Sole in for a years entertainment. 

Edited by Mr Newbie
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Really, when you think of how many lost elections, referendums etc since have been blamed on the Russians since, Martin Moore is a man truly ahead of his time.

23 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

He's not very good at filling paperwork and the associated fees on time - see his repeated troubles with paying his VED.

Yes it's amazing how cunning those Russians are.

23 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

It’s only 12 months. They’d have to then stand to stay in for a full term in 2021 so it could be a laugh having a loon like HM Sole in for a years entertainment. 

Actually getting elected at a by-election about a year before a general election is a pretty good way of making sure you get the next time.  People still remember you and you're less likely to get lost in the campaign.  The only exception I can think of is Joughin in Douglas East last time and that was after he'd been elected more or less randomly on what must have been the lowest number of votes since universal suffrage.  Even then he only lost to Robertshaw by 7 votes.

Speaking of records, is this the first time there has ever been a double by-election on the Island?  (Assuming that is what will happen).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Really, when you think of how many lost elections, referendums etc since have been blamed on the Russians since, Martin Moore is a man truly ahead of his time.

Yes it's amazing how cunning those Russians are.

Actually getting elected at a by-election about a year before a general election is a pretty good way of making sure you get the next time.  People still remember you and you're less likely to get lost in the campaign.  The only exception I can think of is Joughin in Douglas East last time and that was after he'd been elected more or less randomly on what must have been the lowest number of votes since universal suffrage.  Even then he only lost to Robertshaw by 7 votes.

Speaking of records, is this the first time there has ever been a double by-election on the Island?  (Assuming that is what will happen).

Starts to sound like the Rushen by election in 1975 when Dick (ERM) Gawne and Eddie Lowey fought it out. Dick, very much the patrician, born to Kentraugh, accused Eddie, born in a Council house, and a Labour Party member of being in the pay of Moscow.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

43 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

Can he be any worse than the current lot of loons we have already voted in? Let’s face it he may be an improvement, I do hope so. I’ve a feeling that the Manx Labour Party will throw everything at this, to make this constituency their fiefdom. Granny Farming like you have never seen before.