Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
TheTeapot

Beecroft/Costain Quits

9 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Starts to sound like the Rushen by election in 1975 when Dick (ERM) Gawne and Eddie Lowey fought it out. Dick, very much the patrician, born to Kentraugh, accused Eddie, born in a Council house, and a Labour Party member of being in the pay of Moscow.

You can just imagine the Politburo in Moscow discussing something of such gravity as a Manx election, can't you? I'd love to think it was real. Unfortunately it has all the hallmarks of a "fox hat" moment. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mr Newbie said:

If she’s not well though then it’s sad whatever you think of her. 

That's right. I very much hope she has the chance to get some relaxation now, whatever anyone thinks of her.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, woolley said:

You can just imagine the Politburo in Moscow discussing something of such gravity as a Manx election, can't you? I'd love to think it was real. Unfortunately it has all the hallmarks of a "fox hat" moment. :D

Eddie won in the last 16 months of a Keys term. He had contested the 1974 by election won by Noel Cringle. He, Noel and Miles Walker won in 1976 and 1981.

22 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Starts to sound like the Rushen by election in 1975 when Dick (ERM) Gawne and Eddie Lowey fought it out. Dick, very much the patrician, born to Kentraugh, accused Eddie, born in a Council house, and a Labour Party member of being in the pay of Moscow.

Lowey couldn’t fucking spell Moscow, let alone be in their pay. He certainly wasn’t an agent for the towel heads though.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Can he be any worse than the current lot of loons we have already voted in

Yes, watch this. They are his followers and were educated by him in politics. They want change because the system is broken but at the same time they are part a go with the flow movement which makes zero sense and is probably straight from "HM's" mouth. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Actually getting elected at a by-election about a year before a general election is a pretty good way of making sure you get the next time.  People still remember you and you're less likely to get lost in the campaign.  The only exception I can think of is Joughin in Douglas East last time and that was after he'd been elected more or less randomly on what must have been the lowest number of votes since universal suffrage.  Even then he only lost to Robertshaw by 7 votes.

Yes I get that but if he is genuinely as bonkers as his public persona suggests it would at least give us 12 months of entertainment then move on to someone relatively sane. On the plus side I’m sure the DOI would love the chance to spend £100M building his undersea kingdom for him. If he wanted a granite one, with no roof, and some taped off paving around it, sometime around 2045. 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Priceless that John; wish I'd been there to hear him say it. The thought of Eddie trying to exchange his roubles at the IOM Bank (Ballasalla) branch paints a picture.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Yes, watch this. They are his followers and were educated by him in politics. They want change because the system is broken but at the same time they are part a go with the flow movement which makes zero sense and is probably straight from "HM's" mouth. 

9E43556C-6A07-457C-9012-B8A8E639E899.jpeg

57AEF022-B333-4F05-A79C-7FBD597EC6B9.gif

Edited by Mr Newbie

17 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Eddie won in the last 16 months of a Keys term. He had contested the 1974 by election won by Noel Cringle. He, Noel and Miles Walker won in 1976 and 1981.

And to further the history lesson, Noel Cringle had got in on a by-election just less than a year before Eddie Lowey.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Can he be any worse than the current lot of loons we have already voted in? Let’s face it he may be an improvement, I do hope so. I’ve a feeling that the Manx Labour Party will throw everything at this, to make this constituency their fiefdom. Granny Farming like you have never seen before.

No one seems to realise this, but Douglas South is not the solid council estate that people think it is - and that it was 40 years ago.  This is because of the growth of housing in the Ballaughton part of the constituency.  That polling district now makes up 62% of Douglas South (on 2011 electors) and if you add the bit of private housing in Pulrose PD (north of Groves Road) private housing probably now makes up pushing two-thirds of the electorate.  At the last boundary review it lost St Georges PD with Hillside Avenue and the Lord Street Flats.

Cretney had worked hard in the Ballaughton part, but it was noticeable that they didn't even try to put up a second labour candidate in recent years.  But by then the MLP had just become the DC Fan Club anyway.  I'm not sure that they have that much to throw at anything.  I sure I saw something recently when they announced that membership was booming and it has soared to ... 35.

MLP has elected Joney Faragher to leader, hopefully she'll stand, she'd take NO SHIT if she got in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

MLP has elected Joney Faragher to leader, hopefully she'll stand, she'd take NO SHIT if she got in.

To quote the Dalai Lama, who the fuck is Joney Faragher?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Gob on her, has she?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Well he was a union man at Martin-Baker and in the 1970s that would have been synonymous with being a trotskyist red.

There was a few hundred votes in it. I would suggest that the huge Qualtrough clan, ever influential in Manx politics down south, would have done their bit to keep Dick Gawne out. 

Edited by gettafa