Beecroft/Costain Quits

3 minutes ago, gettafa said:

How does that work on the title deeds?

A nominal 5 shillings or something?

Before written conveyancing. The parties attended annual setting quests and entries were made in the Lib Vast and Lib Assed ( the Manorial Rolls of the Island ).

The setting quest came round every April/May and October/November. It was a type of Manorial Land Court/Registry. Changes in Ownership were recorded, inheritance, mortgages. It was important that the Lord knew who was responsible to pay the lords rent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't get me wrong, I'm not sticking up for her, I just can't abide gossipy Manx-crab nosiness and jealous tittle-tattle as displayed in 2112's post. Rife on this Island. 

How is it "deceitful"? As for "keeping quiet," I'd say she has every right to keep her own personal business quiet, what business is it of yours? If she has private health insurance, really,

Lowey couldn’t fucking spell Moscow, let alone be in their pay. He certainly wasn’t an agent for the towel heads though.

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

I think Josem would be pretty good actually. 

Although, is he manx enough yet?  In all seriousness, he's a pretty recent immigrant - does he need a certain time here/immigration status?

You have to have been 'resident' on the Island for five years, though it doesn't have to be up to date or even continuous, just five years in total.  (For what it's worth I think he's been here a lot longer than that).

• Thanks 1

And is no less 'manx' than many in Tynwald just now. It doesn't make much difference these days and I suppose it is only up to the electorate of Douglas South.

Not a bad interview on MTTV:

2 hours ago, gettafa said:

So no need to resign until after lockdown. 

No, when that was lifted the limitations of her situation would become more relevant.  There's another reason as well, which is, with the suspension of elections, her going before would have left Douglas South completely unrepresented for an indefinite period.  I'm not sure what the exact legal situation is, but with the lifting of restrictions there can presumably be a double by-election in the Autumn and the constituency can have members in the Keys again.

Edited to add:  I wrote that before I saw Costain's interview with Moulton posted above, where she confirms that he had intended to go earlier, but held back after Covid hit.  Also interesting that she had put her resignation in a month  ago, so there's not the wait for it to take effect that John  referred to earlier.  I'm not sure how that would affect the by-election timetable, I suspect it will make it easier to have them on the same day.  And with not many people being away on holiday, the usual worries about a Summer election might not apply.

Edited to add 2: Later in the interview she confirms the point about the by-election (I'd only watched the first few minutes).  Unlike in the UK, in the Isle of Man, there is actually a time limit within which by-elections have to take place.  The clock for Malarkey's seat was stopped  by emergency legislation but presumably has started again.

Edited by Roger Mexico
  • Thanks 1

Perhaps I was being cynical. Kate Beecroft has confirmed in the MTTV interview that she gave her notice in a month ago, and stayed on after Bill Malarkey died to ensure there was some representation in Douglas South. Apparently with the timing etc there can be a double by-election.

Edited by gettafa

I wish her well with her health and that she gets better quickly. 
Like many MHKs she struggles to list much in the way of credible achievements during 9 years in office. She made a lot of noise and followed Peter Karran’s scattergun approach. She always reminded me of a latter day Mary Whitehouse; finding something disgusting everywhere she looked. Also, like her old leader she didn’t really follow up many of her 100s of questions, as if asking questions were more important than the answers. As for answers, she didn’t have many herself. Let’s hope someone who has the goal of achieving something appears on the next list of candidates. 

Edited by joebean
  • Like 2
14 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Which constituency does Josem live in?

It should be, but it's not really relevant thee days. Douglas is Douglas.

I'm still reeling that Robertshaw in effect conned the voters of Douglas East that he could be arsed about them or their constituency.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Which constituency does Josem live in?

Technically Central as far as I can see, (though Quay PD was in South till last election).  I don't think that it matters much in Douglas/Onchan though, providing you live in the general area.  Quite a few existing MHKs don't live in their constituency - though they're usually fairly near.

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

And is no less 'manx' than many in Tynwald just now. It doesn't make much difference these days and I suppose it is only up to the electorate of Douglas South.

Not a bad interview on MTTV:

Yeah he's been here at least 10 years I think. 

I wasn't being at all derogatory on the 'manx' statement,  was just interested in the residency/election rules.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

You have to have been 'resident' on the Island for five years, though it doesn't have to be up to date or even continuous, just five years in total.  (For what it's worth I think he's been here a lot longer than that).

He has . I came across him playing basketball at NSC in at least prior to 2015

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Technically Central as far as I can see, (though Quay PD was in South till last election).  I don't think that it matters much in Douglas/Onchan though, providing you live in the general area.  Quite a few existing MHKs don't live in their constituency - though they're usually fairly near.

You'd think then he might contain his ambition in order to contest Douglas Central in the general election against the great Chris Thomas & others

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

I came across him playing basketball at NSC in at least prior to 2015

That must have been socially awkward. What was he doing to arouse you so much? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6