• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When lockdown started and our company had everyone working from home, I got through the best part of a box of cat5 making cables for them to use to connect to their router instead of using wi-fi.   

I've always suspected deliberate throttling to persuade you to 'upgrade' to a more expensive tariff.

Don't be so defeatist. Nokia engineers have replaced a load of hardware today so even if that didn't fix it it's probably a good upgrade.

Posted Images

They’ve definitely fixed something, I’ve just ran a speed test as it seemed much faster and we’re now getting 5.29Mbps which is much improved, actually twice as fast as it was this time last week.

Just now, Annoymouse said:

They’ve definitely fixed something, I’ve just ran a speed test as it seemed much faster and we’re now getting 5.29Mbps which is much improved, actually twice as fast as it was this time last week.

Any improvement you see will almost certainly be down to the fact that others are not using it currently.

• Like 1
On 8/25/2020 at 8:17 PM, pongo said:

Soon enough Elon Musk's SpaceX internet may provide an alternative.

Be quite a challenge to MT if he drops his 'low cost' option from $80 a month down to $40

10 hours ago, gettafa said:

It's crazy that a now entirely private company has so much ultimate power over the Isle of Man.

With a Communications Commisssion who'll do little about the evident lack of (promised) resilience in the network

• Like 1
7 hours ago, MickyBlue said:

You can invest in redundancy and resilience, you can carry out DR testing, you can carry spares, you can have best laid plans and gold-plated support contracts. Anyone with a modicum of real-world experience in IT and networks knows that when the sh*t hits the fan and none of the above works as it should, you are at the mercy of the vendor to dig you out.

It will be interesting to see the RCA when it’s all over, but until then I don’t know what else MT can do which they aren't already. They’re working their backsides off trying to fix it, they’ve escalated it to the vendors, their social media team are responding to almost every comment, and the CEO is communicating openly and frequently.

Yes lessons must be learned but I don’t believe it’s as simple as under-investment or incompetency - despite all the armchair know-it-all experts.

Micky

Pray tell, what is RCA in this context?

6 hours ago, NoTail said:

Generally I would agree with you.  I was an IT manager for 30 years.  Talking to retired ex MT engineers though and I am repeatedly told that they were replaced by cheap, incompetent youngsters. 

I've spoken to a lot of the engineers lately (as the network in my area is far from resilient) & they have to a man been competent & more than helpful

I know there are female engineers out there but I've yet to meet one

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

I've spoken to a lot of the engineers lately (as the network in my area is far from resilient) & they have to a man been competent & more than helpful.

Yes they all know they are working for a company that is under capitalized and under resourced. They themselves are highly skilled people though. 

• Like 2