Jump to content

MT 4G Broadband


Hillside
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Ours in Ramsey went down about 0700 hrs.

getting a great 4G signal from Sure with the new Hospital mast though. MT one has been very poor.

Appalling at my end of town. Jurby is better served with their mast than Ramsey by MT.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've heard from MT that it's some form of card that's malfunctioning. We've been off since 5pm with a brief few minutes online this morning, albeit slowly. Fibre.

Making guesses from a network perspective and where I've seen impacted, it seems that the problem is in the Douglas North exchange. I'm guessing that all the others are linked back there.

At a guess, the other exchanges which have DSLAMs (the boxes attached to your telephone lines), route into a BNG (broadband network gateway) over in Douglas North, and it happens to be that's the bit of kit that's on the fritz. The BNG will be handling the PPPoE or PPPoA sessions, which aren't being opened on faulty connections. On my end, there's just no response to the initial 'hello' message sent from my router. The seemingly random nature of neighbours being impacted differently could simply be load balancing across multiple links between exchanges.

BNGs are expensive, and can handle a lot of connections, so having a shared one wouldn't be a huge surprise, albeit liable to cause the faults here.

According to Wimanx's support social media, MT have been trying to rebalance traffic away from whatever is causing the fault, and that has booted people off this morning.

Realistically, I'd guess tomorrow at the earliest before they have the equipment on-island in and properly to get it sorted.

Disclaimer: this is purely conjecture from being fed up of being offline with a dose of knowing enough to be dangerous in networking.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

I've heard from MT that it's some form of card that's malfunctioning. We've been off since 5pm with a brief few minutes online this morning, albeit slowly. Fibre.

Making guesses from a network perspective and where I've seen impacted, it seems that the problem is in the Douglas North exchange. I'm guessing that all the others are linked back there.

At a guess, the other exchanges which have DSLAMs (the boxes attached to your telephone lines), route into a BNG (broadband network gateway) over in Douglas North, and it happens to be that's the bit of kit that's on the fritz. The BNG will be handling the PPPoE or PPPoA sessions, which aren't being opened on faulty connections. On my end, there's just no response to the initial 'hello' message sent from my router. The seemingly random nature of neighbours being impacted differently could simply be load balancing across multiple links between exchanges.

BNGs are expensive, and can handle a lot of connections, so having a shared one wouldn't be a huge surprise, albeit liable to cause the faults here.

According to Wimanx's support social media, MT have been trying to rebalance traffic away from whatever is causing the fault, and that has booted people off this morning.

Realistically, I'd guess tomorrow at the earliest before they have the equipment on-island in and properly to get it sorted.

Disclaimer: this is purely conjecture from being fed up of being offline with a dose of knowing enough to be dangerous in networking.

I thought much the same :whistling:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

I've heard from MT that it's some form of card that's malfunctioning. We've been off since 5pm with a brief few minutes online this morning, albeit slowly. Fibre.

Making guesses from a network perspective and where I've seen impacted, it seems that the problem is in the Douglas North exchange. I'm guessing that all the others are linked back there.

At a guess, the other exchanges which have DSLAMs (the boxes attached to your telephone lines), route into a BNG (broadband network gateway) over in Douglas North, and it happens to be that's the bit of kit that's on the fritz. The BNG will be handling the PPPoE or PPPoA sessions, which aren't being opened on faulty connections. On my end, there's just no response to the initial 'hello' message sent from my router. The seemingly random nature of neighbours being impacted differently could simply be load balancing across multiple links between exchanges.

BNGs are expensive, and can handle a lot of connections, so having a shared one wouldn't be a huge surprise, albeit liable to cause the faults here.

According to Wimanx's support social media, MT have been trying to rebalance traffic away from whatever is causing the fault, and that has booted people off this morning.

Realistically, I'd guess tomorrow at the earliest before they have the equipment on-island in and properly to get it sorted.

Disclaimer: this is purely conjecture from being fed up of being offline with a dose of knowing enough to be dangerous in networking.

I wouldn’t say that the ISP responding to this exact same comment on their Facebook page with a gif constitutes “hearing it from MT”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, mokebatcher said:

I wouldn’t say that the ISP responding to this exact same comment on their Facebook page with a gif constitutes “hearing it from MT”

The poor social media folks getting it in the neck all day will have about as much technical info from the engineers as you or I.

Update from WiManx

***Update*** 16:52

Wholesale engineers Investigations with their vendor have concluded that a hardware replacement is needed in the Broadband Core Network. This will be scheduled tonight after peak traffic to avoid further disruption as the change is deemed high risk. In the meantime the impact remains as per previous updates. Next update at midnight prior to the change.

Edited by AcousticallyChallenged
Added update
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

The poor social media folks getting it in the neck all day will have about as much technical info from the engineers as you or I.

That’s because as an engineer when asked ‘what is the problem and what time will it be working again?’ you think to yourself ‘you wouldn’t understand if I told you so just fuck off and let me get on with fixing this fucking piece of shit that I told you three years ago needed replacing’. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Terminal said:

That’s because as an engineer when asked ‘what is the problem and what time will it be working again?’ you think to yourself ‘you wouldn’t understand if I told you so just fuck off and let me get on with fixing this fucking piece of shit that I told you three years ago needed replacing’. 

Presumably that is what you are saying now to the MT bosses?

Bring back the GPO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hard to imagine the sole incumbent we rely on to service EVERY provider wouldnt have integral spares on the Island. Heads should roll for this.

Gary Lamb parades to Cycle360 in his range rover for a gym session every weekend, well I hope he's working up a sweat at the moment.

Further deregulation required and opening up access to alternative providers. Or even better, spin off MT Wholesale even further from retail and have it more answerable to the communications commission for shite like this happening.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Further deregulation required and opening up access to alternative providers. Or even better, spin off MT Wholesale even further from retail and have it more answerable to the communications commission for shite like this happening.

Doesn't Isle of Man Government have a stake in the Manx Telecom? If that is the case then MT have the Government in their pocket.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...