• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When lockdown started and our company had everyone working from home, I got through the best part of a box of cat5 making cables for them to use to connect to their router instead of using wi-fi.   

I've always suspected deliberate throttling to persuade you to 'upgrade' to a more expensive tariff.

Don't be so defeatist. Nokia engineers have replaced a load of hardware today so even if that didn't fix it it's probably a good upgrade.

Posted Images

I dropped into The MT shop 5 times in the last month.

Chaos.

How do you get served in there?  Random names called out from a list generated from somewhere, who knows where, that no one responds to.

People just sitting on the big sofas, looking bored, people sitting at the sides, looking bored.

MT is run by bankers, who employ school kids who have no clue what is going on.  The shop is just that, a shop to take your money.  They can type what the hell they want on the keyboard for anything else.  It took them 2 fucking years to cancel caller display on my landline.   It took me 5 years to get the second caller display charge taken off which was added in error.

The won’t own up to problems people are having, just fob you off with ‘we have to charge for this that and the other’.  Meanwhile the network falls down around their ears and they still cannot deal with it without getting others in.  

They take the government money for providing a fixed line service and IP Phones as well as dealing with ANY IT issue we are supposed to be paying GTS for.  We pay that department millions just for them to ring up MT if it’s a wired fault or Sure if it’s a mobile one.  

Meanwhile Quayle, who wants faster BB for everyone is probably sipping his holiday Cocktails in Guernsey while getting a stiffy talking to people with more money (and brains) than he has.

Businesses are packing up, people are packing up, even the bloody Basking Sharks don’t bother coming anymore.  

It’s turning into a shit island, with shit politicians, shit kids with shittier parents. Shit services with shit charges.  Shit, shit and more shit.

We are only starting to hear from are shit political shitters because of another shit election coming up.  Again, more of  the same same shit.

Just give the island a shitty Liverpool postcode and be done with it.  

Edited by x-in-man
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
8 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

It’s turning into a shit island, with shit politicians, shit kids with shittier parents. Shit services with shit charges.  Shit, shit and more shit.

We are only starting to here from are shit political shitters because of another shit election coming up.  Again, more the same same shit.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

sipping his holiday Cocktails in Guernsey while getting a stiffy talking to people with more money (and brains) than he has.

We are only starting to here from are shit political shitters because of another shit election coming up.  Again, more the same same shit.

Anything useful you might have to say is undermined by this kind of crass and puerile nonsense

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

It's crazy that a now entirely private company has so much ultimate power over the Isle of Man.

My thoughts exactly. Broadband is now a vital public utility in much the same way as electricity, water, gas etc. In the same way as I believe that an island government needs to control its lifeline travel services , I also believe that utilities should ultimately be controlled by the state. All of the above should be run on a not for profit basis, and should be free from external influences that come from being beholden to private equity firms and shareholders dividends. In this instance, if this turns out to be a prolonged outage it creates much more than a number of upset people who cannot access their FB page, it damages our already patchy reputation as a place to do business. Have MT skimped on DR facilities in the name of profit, I do not know, but I know that we need to provide resilience and project confidence in what could be a world class network.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, b4mbi said:

I find it more crazy that the resiliency of the network is not there, is there a single point of failure?

Gary Lamb this morning on manx radio, saying the fault hasn't yet been identified.

Ha! Words like "resilience" and "strategic" that pour forth from DfE marketing info is bullshit.... and now we know why it's all bullshit.

Why on earth IOMG would make such claims over something that they have no immediate control over is beyond me.   

Edited by Andy Onchan
  • Like 1

You can invest in redundancy and resilience, you can carry out DR testing, you can carry spares, you can have best laid plans and gold-plated support contracts. Anyone with a modicum of real-world experience in IT and networks knows that when the sh*t hits the fan and none of the above works as it should, you are at the mercy of the vendor to dig you out.

It will be interesting to see the RCA when it’s all over, but until then I don’t know what else MT can do which they aren't already. They’re working their backsides off trying to fix it, they’ve escalated it to the vendors, their social media team are responding to almost every comment, and the CEO is communicating openly and frequently.

Yes lessons must be learned but I don’t believe it’s as simple as under-investment or incompetency - despite all the armchair know-it-all experts.

Micky

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, MickyBlue said:

You can invest in redundancy and resilience, you can carry out DR testing, you can carry spares, you can have best laid plans and gold-plated support contracts. Anyone with a modicum of real-world experience in IT and networks knows that when the sh*t hits the fan and none of the above works as it should, you are at the mercy of the vendor to dig you out.

It will be interesting to see the RCA when it’s all over, but until then I don’t know what else MT can do which they aren't already. They’re working their backsides off trying to fix it, they’ve escalated it to the vendors, their social media team are responding to almost every comment, and the CEO is communicating openly and frequently.

Yes lessons must be learned but I don’t believe it’s as simple as under-investment or incompetency - despite all the armchair know-it-all experts.

Micky

Generally I would agree with you.  I was an IT manager for 30 years.  Talking to retired ex MT engineers though and I am repeatedly told that they were replaced by cheap, incompetent youngsters. 

• Sad 1
3 hours ago, x-in-man said:

I've not read it but I would like to recommend this book:

Is It Just Me or Is Everything Shit?

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, MickyBlue said:

I wish someone would tell DfE that instead of pushing out buzz words that are meaningless.

Well, if it's core network gear giving intermittent faults, it can be tricky to work out exactly what to replace.

Mix in with that 6 figure costs for it with the associated headaches of getting that sort of stuff over in a pandemic, and the disruption of replacing it, you can see why they're trying to fix it before cutting their losses.

There may well be a new one on the way already, but that may not even be in the UK.

• Like 2