Jump to content

How would you vote  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

49 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

It's actually in The Heron, at 9 o'clock next Friday night.

Chaired by Skilly. The one who slurred that we were “70,000 alcoholics clinging to a rock“, in that terrible Toughest Pubs fiasco. :thumbsup:

Edited by dilligaf
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Eligibility To be eligible to receive up to 5 LED bulbs, a member of the household must satisfy at least one of the following criteria: - In receipt of benefits i.e. Income support, Income b

Ok as you clearly are actually a knob, let me answer in terms that your clearly inhibited intellect can process. Some illustrations of the kind of people who should stand for the Keys are: 1

His idiotic support for ending the free movement of people in europe will have cost him. And deservedly so. Fucking brexiteers can all fuck off.

Posted Images

Pamela Birnie-Marlarkey has just released her manifesto, though so far only as a video slideshow on Facebook.

I haven't had a chance to read through it properly yet, but one instance of slightly unfortunate wording popped out at me:

Quote

Now that the company [sc. the Steam Packet] has been nationalized, it is an appropriate time to raise the idea of partial privatisation.

Isle of Man residents should be given the option to purchase and own shares. Ownership would allow shareholders to balance the risks and rewards on the following:

  • fare prices
  • social benefit over profit
  • securing the workforce and ensuring that Isle of Man income tax and national insurance is paid.

I'm not sure shareholders have any say in whether or not income tax and national insurance are paid, whatever the 'risks and rewards' are. . .

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, VinnieK said:

Pamela Birnie-Marlarkey has just released her manifesto, though so far only as a video slideshow on Facebook.

I haven't had a chance to read through it properly yet, but one instance of slightly unfortunate wording popped out at me:

I'm not sure shareholders have any say in whether or not income tax and national insurance are paid, whatever the 'risks and rewards' are. . .

She is as daft as poor Bill was then. Jesus H.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect it means no scouser crew (or Heysham equivalent) as presumably those crew domiciled in UK pay their tax + NI there - possibly she also objects to the East Europeans (at one time many were Lithuanian but guess this will change from next Jan) who worked during the summer season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Frances said:

I suspect it means no scouser crew (or Heysham equivalent) as presumably those crew domiciled in UK pay their tax + NI there - possibly she also objects to the East Europeans (at one time many were Lithuanian but guess this will change from next Jan) who worked during the summer season.

IOM registered vessels can employ both officers and crew from all over the world subject to paperwork.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, pongo said:

IOM registered vessels can employ both officers and crew from all over the world subject to paperwork.

which makes perfect sense, the IOM Yacht registry would probably be less successful if you could only crew them with Manx work permit holders!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

which makes perfect sense, the IOM Yacht registry would probably be less successful if you could only crew them with Manx work permit holders!

Yes. I think that @Frances was assuming some sort of Brexit implication. But AFAIK that's not really a factor. IOM registered vessels already routinely employ non UK and non EU officers and crew.

Edited by pongo
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, pongo said:

Yes. I think that @Frances was assuming some sort of Brexit implication. But AFAIK that's not really a factor. IOM registered vessels already routinely employ non UK and non EU officers and crew.

That's true enough, but to actually work on the boats they will have to get to them first and live in the UK  or IOM.  And the ability of EU nationals to do that will be limited from next year, especially if they're not already resident in UK/IOM - as many seasonal staff may not be.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So Pamela for Douglas South is advertising a meeting with a chance to ask questions of all the candidates who apparently have not been notified about it .....this election has an Alice in Wonderland feel about it already....let the three ringed circus begin....:geek:

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

So Pamela for Douglas South is advertising a meeting with a chance to ask questions of all the candidates who apparently have not been notified about it .....this election has an Alice in Wonderland feel about it already....let the three ringed circus begin....:geek:

She is calling it a requisition meeting which you assume is one that has been officially convened. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Technically the Mayor of Douglas (Cllr Joughin for 'tis he) should be organising this - which will effectively mean the Corpy will be putting it together on his behalf.  (The only wonder is the date isn't after polling day, given that).  Presumably they organised it to suit themselves and let their chums know about it.  Birnie-Malarkey would presumably come under that category (Bill certainly would have) and the other candidates (and the public) will presumably be told later.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

So why has Josem not heard about it if it is official?

Because he is the only man for the job and they have to try to keep him in the dark. Sad really. So many non entities running has made a mockery of the whole thing. Josem for the win. He would get all the votes from our household if we were unlucky enough to live in south Douglas 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

That's true enough, but to actually work on the boats they will have to get to them first and live in the UK  or IOM.

Why?

Lots of non UK and non EU nationals already work on IOM registered vessels. Including vessels which operate around the British Isles.

Shipping is an international business already.

Edited by pongo
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Because he is the only man for the job and they have to try to keep him in the dark. Sad really. So many non entities running has made a mockery of the whole thing. Josem for the win. He would get all the votes from our household if we were unlucky enough to live in south Douglas 

Just as well you don't,then

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...