How would you vote  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, Josem said:

I think we could improve accountability by simply having shorter-terms... a more powerful, frequent, reminder to politicians that if you don't serve the public, you'll get sacked.

Then you only risk fossilizing short-termism in the political system, which is already one of the biggest sources of criticisms of parliamentary democracy---especially in the Anglo-american world where politics is ruthlessly adversarial and based on winner-takes-all politics.

The only real solution to a lack of accountability in democracy is for:

• the populace to take a more active interest and to participate more in politics; 
  • there to be a strong, responsible, and diverse media helping to keep people informed. 

Two of the big problems with these kinds of discussion is that they focus too much on trying to find structural solutions for issues that are essentially cultural, which often amounts to hammering a square peg into a round hole, and they tend to ignore that a functioning democracy also places certain obligations on the public to do their part.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Eligibility To be eligible to receive up to 5 LED bulbs, a member of the household must satisfy at least one of the following criteria: - In receipt of benefits i.e. Income support, Income b

Ok as you clearly are actually a knob, let me answer in terms that your clearly inhibited intellect can process. Some illustrations of the kind of people who should stand for the Keys are: 1

His idiotic support for ending the free movement of people in europe will have cost him. And deservedly so. Fucking brexiteers can all fuck off.

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

The only real solution to a lack of accountability in democracy is for:

• the populace to take a more active interest and to participate more in politics; 
  • there to be a strong, responsible, and diverse media helping to keep people informed. 

The New jolly Manx Radio has bolloxed that one up then. (The Government gave them too much money and they said fuck it, let's have some fun instead of all this boring politics stuff)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Josem said:

I think we could improve accountability by simply having shorter-terms... a more powerful, frequent, reminder to politicians that if you don't serve the public, you'll get sacked.

5 years is too long. And there needs to be an easier way to turf out an under performing politician.

With online voting the hassle/cost  excuse is lessened. Increasing the penalty for election fraud should sort out the main opposition to online voting, and postal vote should always be available option.

Incidentally, the 'potential' for election fraud is greater by those running the current and antiquated polling station than anything Buster dreamed up.

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

It's the 21st century digital age

Move towards online consultative democracy

No. People in general are fuckwits when it comes to running anything outside of their own living rooms and many can't even do that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The role of MHKS would change to one where they argue to their constituents the response they recommend

Fuckwits are to a large extent funding all this & deserve a say

1 hour ago, Donald Trumps said:

It's the 21st century digital age

Move towards online consultative democracy

Aka populist Facebook mob rule.

No thanks.

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, ian rush said:

HM  the sole Manifesto has just arrived. Singing the praises of Courtenay Heading amongst other pungent horseshit.

An anti-vaccination campaigner who refused to acknowledge the jurisdiction of the court when getting done for driving offences? Wicked!

I'm sad to see said manifesto doesn't seem to be lurking around online anywhere.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

I'm sad to see said manifesto doesn't seem to be lurking around online anywhere.

I don't get it, surely he is the kind of candidate who should really be hammering himself all over the internet. 

Just now, TheTeapot said:

I don't get it, surely he is the kind of candidate who should really be hammering himself all over the internet. 

Yeah, I was surprised by his almost complete lack of presence on the Internet. 

On the other hand, by limiting his exposure he also limits the amount of detailed criticism that can be publicly levelled at him---he may well be hoping/assuming that he can win this thing through a last minute blitz of the doorstep and letterboxes. Alternatively, he may simply assume that he's so natural a leader that he's automatically going to win purely by virtue of standing

• Like 1

What we need is a sort of CEO type (unelected of course) who has a Board (again unelected) supported by a lot of well paid managers appointed by the shareholders who invest their money all guided by a legal back office. Its a bit like a private company isn't it? I have probably missed some key bits out but it would stop the private vs public service.......er..er..

6 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

In lieu of a manifesto, here he is banging on about the E.G.G. Apparently, he and the project had the support of many academics and important diplomats, which makes it even more strange that the most he could raise was a measly four grand. 

Not looking good for the "it's a metaphor/performance art" interpretation.

Also, if what he says is true about his 'background in academia', he must be the most prominent academic to have seemingly never had so much as a word published in a peer-reviewed journal, monograph, or other reputable publication.

Edited by VinnieK
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, gettafa said:

No. People in general are fuckwits when it comes to running anything outside of their own living rooms and many can't even do that. 

Surely you can't have it both ways though? You can't say people are smart enough to pick a representative with integrity and competence, but apparently aren't able to make it out the door without tripping down the steps.

10 hours ago, VinnieK said:

Two of the big problems with these kinds of discussion is that they focus too much on trying to find structural solutions for issues that are essentially cultural, which often amounts to hammering a square peg into a round hole, and they tend to ignore that a functioning democracy also places certain obligations on the public to do their part.

This is what is so often over-looked. There's no reason to think we would be better off with 10 MHKs or 50 when at 95% of people probably can't explain National Insurance or how capital spending differs from revenue spending. There's a weird expectation now that the state can address problems people cause for themselves.

• Like 2