Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man

How would you vote  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

“Do you David Fowler take Clare Christian to be your lawfully wedded wife “etc.

“Well .....yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees”

Followed by:

VICAR: "Do you, Clare Christian, take David Fowler to be your lawfully wedded husband?"

CLAIRE CHRISTIAN lifts veil and proceeds to read a lengthy prepared statement from a piece of paper, fixedly staring at it the whole time. 

Edited by VinnieK
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

I honestly think that this one is almost impossible to call from the outside.  We can watch all the videos and pass judgment, but none of those have a significant number of views once you take into account the fact that plenty of those views are going to come from outside Douglas South. Similar applies to Facebook likes and follower numbers, so in all likelihood it's going to come down to who's putting in the work going around Douglas South hammering their message home and who out of those comes across the best.

That said, I'll put a fiver on Claire Christian and David Fowler racing home with two thousand votes each.  They later win the general election and are appointed joint Chief Minister.  They marry shortly after and a thousand years of prosperity follow, based largely on the Island being home to the best dressed Legoland in the world  For much of that golden millennium, we are ruled over by their immortal son, who also turns out to be Jesus, which is a nice surprise for everyone. Clanton's challenge that the votes of fish and birds weren't adequately counted goes unheard. However, the Castle Mona is converted into a space station and given to him as a consolation prize, and he lives happily ever after.

I'm not entirely sure that will come to pass, but what I do know is this: cute appeals to Manx pride and all that are one thing, but one should never give in to the temptation to don a Manx Tartan flat cap, no matter how keen one is to honour the traditions and culture of our proud highland ancestors of. . .er. . .1946.

image.png.ffc2a1ec0535c0183a23e52bc8e27a38.png

Post of the year. And if anyone needs a visual illustration of the term ‘twat’ - see above.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Post of the year. And if anyone needs a visual illustration of the term ‘twat’ - see above.

If our old gods still lived, they would send a conspiracy of ravens to pluck that hat from the head of anyone who wore it and then destroy it.  Whatever they later did to the bearer would be up to them.

Edited by VinnieK
  • Like 1

He should have gone the full hog and put a kilt on:

On 7/5/2015 at 9:23 PM, theambo said:

Proudly posted by one of the incumbents on Facebook.

post-12604-0-59794700-1436127687_thumb.jpg

Also, can we all agree he looks a right tit in that cap with that accent?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, dilligaf said:

You mean Jackie Stewart. Andy was a fine singer of shite songs. Scottish Soldier springs to mind.

Ah yes, sorry Andy,  if you read this, for confusing you with the other gobshite.

Edited by Declan
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Declan said:

Ah yes, sorry Andy,  if you read this, for confusing you with the other gobshite.

Long after anyone could remember why, Andy Stewart still used to be got out every New Years Eve on TV. Back when TV was still a thing. And then Jools Holland came along as a sort of antidote to Andy Stewart. And then Jools Holland turned into him anyhow.

It's funny how people become like their parents.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

16 minutes ago, pongo said:

Long after anyone could remember why, Andy Stewart still used to be got out every New Years Eve on TV. Back when TV was still a thing. And then Jools Holland came along as a sort of antidote to Andy Stewart. And then Jools Holland turned into him anyhow.

It's funny how people become like their parents.

My mother moans about the lack of Scottish singing on New Year's Eve.

3 minutes ago, Declan said:

My mother moans about the lack of Scottish singing on New Year's Eve.

At least I didnee choose bloody Texas.

2 hours ago, VinnieK said:

If our old gods still lived, they would send a conspiracy of ravens to pluck that hat from the head of anyone who wore it and then destroy it.  Whatever they later did to the bearer would be up to them.

The old gods have never gone away Vinnie.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pongo said:

It's hard to believe that Edwin Collins was ever that young.

The closest I've ever been to a riot was at an Edwin Collins show.

5 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

The old gods have never gone away Vinnie.

I hope so, and I hope they're still watching over us. There's something so infinitely depressing about that hat that, try as I might, I just can't let go it—when I look at it, all I can see is a fuzzy headstone for what remains of the Island's character.

I know and accept that, contrary to the nonsense that HM the Sole tries to flatter us with, the Island has largely always been a minor part of history, and that 'Manxness' and the Manx of little interest to anyone but the Island's inhabitants (and not always even then), but at least we were something.  Something more than THAT HAT and a faintly pleasing list of characteristics like 'welcoming' or 'friendly'.

And the worst thing is that I quite like the colours of the tartan.

I accept that I have a problem here and might have to spend time with a professional. 

• Like 2