Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man

How would you vote  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

14 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

There's something so infinitely depressing about that hat that, try as I might, I just can't let go it—when I look at it, all I can see is a fuzzy headstone for what remains of the Island's character.

Poetry.

15 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

'Manxness' and the Manx of little interest to anyone but the Island's inhabitants (and not always even then), but at least we were something

And still are.

16 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

And the worst thing is that I quite like the colours of the tartan.

I accept that I have a problem here and might have to spend time with a professional.

Nothing wrong with the Tartan. It's who is wearing it and why that counts. But you can still have that time if you feel you need it. ^_^

4 hours ago, VinnieK said:

I'm not entirely sure that will come to pass, but what I do know is this: cute appeals to Manx pride and all that are one thing, but one should never give in to the temptation to don a Manx Tartan flat cap, no matter how keen one is to honour the traditions and culture of our proud highland ancestors of. . .er. . .1946.

image.png.ffc2a1ec0535c0183a23e52bc8e27a38.png

1946?  I'll have you know that the illustrious history of Manx tartan goes all the way back to way back to 1957.

(Though of course those of us who have read our Hobsbawm et al know that the concept of a tartan for something is an invention for flogging tat to Victorian tourists, so this is a true inheritor of its tradition).

There also appears to be something called the Manx Hunting Tartan, which is presumably what M'lord Boot and his mates wear when they're hunting Manxies.

• Like 2

I like my hat. I'm going to keep wearing my hat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

1946?  I'll have you know that the illustrious history of Manx tartan goes all the way back to way back to 1957.

(Though of course those of us who have read our Hobsbawm et al know that the concept of a tartan for something is an invention for flogging tat to Victorian tourists, so this is a true inheritor of its tradition).

There also appears to be something called the Manx Hunting Tartan, which is presumably what M'lord Boot and his mates wear when they're hunting Manxies.

Is Kelly The Manx Hunting Tartan Bear the quarry or the hunter?

https://www.presenceofmann.com/kelly-the-manx-hunting-tartan-bear/

• Haha 1

There was a man who flogged kippers at the sea terminal he always wore the Manx tartan flat cap, reminds me of him.

13 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

There was a man who flogged kippers at the sea terminal he always wore the Manx tartan flat cap, reminds me of him.

Showing your age there Sid!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

There also appears to be something called the Manx Hunting Tartan

Oh Lord.  It's worse than I thought.

Is it too late to just pack it all in and rebrand ourselves as Estonian or something? Is there a particular pattern of hat we could wear to clearly indicate our sympathy for and enduring connection to Estonia to anyone who was in doubt (and who might like to elect us to the Riigikogu)?  Aega on piisavalt, yessir!

Edited by VinnieK

31 minutes ago, Josem said:

I like my hat. I'm going to keep wearing my hat.

Truth be told, there's nothing really that wrong with the hat. If there's a place in this world for Kelly the Manx Hunting Tartan Bear, then there is a place for your hat.

It's the context in which the hat appears in this instance that makes it the stuff of the cultural version of existential dread.

• Haha 1

imagine a Manx politico - Rob Callister for example. Moves to Aus and decides to run for office wearing a hat with corks on it. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, VinnieK said:

I hope so, and I hope they're still watching over us.

they are Vinnie. But only on Wednesday's, Thursday's and Friday's.

Edited by b4mbi
and Tuesday's and Saturday's as it turns out... :)

7 minutes ago, Declan said:

imagine a Manx politico - Rob Callister for example. Moves to Aus and decides to run for office wearing a hat with corks on it. 

To extend the analogy a little, imagine if one of us rocked up in Scotland and started our election campaign by declaring we were Scottish, with nothing really to back that up apart from the occasional paean to shortbread and mountains and how totally awesome Scottish people are... Then the Saltire starts making a few appearances, accompanied by lots of conspicuous references to 'our nation'. Maybe there are a couple of selfies of us giving the thumbs up at a caber toss, along with a blogpost or two banging on about a lesser-known Scottish Hero. Finally, we bang out a video in which we're wearing a tam o' shanter and/or sporran, right in the middle of an Edinburgh suburb.

Meanwhile, there are a few other candidates who are born and raised in Scotland but not making a massive deal out of it, along with a few from outside of Scotland who either don't feel the need to mention it or are marketing it as an advantage.

I'm very possibly (probably) making to much of this, and I don't want to denigrate any genuine appreciation of the Island, but it all seems over the top and, rightly or wrongly, risks coming off as somewhere between tacky and cynical.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

they are Vinnie. But only on Wednesday's, Thursday's and Friday's.

But closed for business on Mondays and Sundays?  Do they operate mainly in Ramsey?

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Declan said:

Uh, two of the three previous Australian Prime Ministers literally moved from these Isles to Australia, and wore Akubra hats from time to time. Although their (genuine Akubra) hats didn't have corks on them, I'll give you that.

Tony Abbott's climate change policy makes me cringe | Illawarra ...

Scott Morrison: How the new Australian Prime Minister is ...

Are there any other items in my wardrobe that I'm not permitted to wear?  Do you maintain the list, or does someone else maintain the list?

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Josem said:

Are there any other items in my wardrobe that I'm not permitted to wear?  Do you maintain the list, or does someone else maintain the list?

No one's saying "you're not permitted to wear this, Josem"; they're saying something along the lines of "I think prominently wearing that in a campaign video a couple of days before the election looks a bit tacky and/or weird"

I assume we are allowed to discuss even trivial aspects of your campaign (just to turn the tables a little bit there)?

Edited to add: on a conciliatory note, you should see the comments former politicians have attracted in the past. Poor Geoff Corkish just wanted to wear a tutu, and people were perfectly beastly about it. 

Edited by VinnieK
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Josem said:

Good attitude. Should help the votes........

5 hours ago, VinnieK said:

No one's saying "you're not permitted to wear this, Josem"; they're saying something along the lines of "I think prominently wearing that in a campaign video a couple of days before the election looks a bit tacky and/or weird"

...or both. 

• Like 1