And They're Off!

Donald Trumps

How would you vote  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, Apple said:

is this result really a statement about government or more about local issues. People in Douglas must be more than bemused by what is happening around them and have voted for people who will concentrate on those local issues that the Council are not able to move forward like traffic congestion, road works, regeneration, building, parking and the prospect of unemployment etc.

Plus they must really like paedo’s. Wasn’t Josem’s final campaign all about harsher sentences of paedo’s? Clearly a proper Douglas Souther doesn’t mind paedo’s so much either! 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Apple said:

Is this result really a statement about government or more about local issues. People in Douglas must be more than bemused by what is happening around them and have voted for people who will concentrate on those local issues that the Council are not able to move forward like traffic congestion, road works, regeneration, building, parking and the prospect of unemployment etc.

As said elsewhere, the CS run the show. An MHK can make next to no difference to the parochial shit show in real terms. But, the public believe otherwise, and will hope that Paul and Claire can pull some rabbits out of their respective hats. I do too, to be honest.

Let’s see how big an impact they can make in the next 12 months. I wish them both the very best.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

Nothing wrong with either candidate. Well done to them, especially Claire with what is in bye election terms a landslide! 

But I think it is indicative that the public really is pretty happy with the status quo, and will continue to elect people that will ‘fit in’ to the current framework. Nothing too edgy, or radical that might stir up the pot. It’s also a good indicator of public confidence, and that they are happy enough with the current course of Government.

I wonder how many of those voters in Douglas South work for central government?

IOMG & it's pretend masters, Tynwald is one big cosy club. Make no mistake, the profligacy will continue until the money tree has been stripped bare and has nothing more to give.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Boris Johnson said:

Congrats to the winning pair.

As I said previously, they will have zero effect on anything that happens here outside maybe getting Mrs Quines fence fixed. The CS run the show, if you want to change the island get into the CS and work your way up/ through the swamp.

Spot on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

But I think it is indicative that the public really is pretty happy with the status quo, and will continue to elect people that will ‘fit in’ to the current framework. Nothing too edgy, or radical that might stir up the pot. It’s also a good indicator of public confidence, and that they are happy enough with the current course of Government.

None of the candidates, apart from perhaps Clanton, were particularly radical though, so I don't know if that conclusion necessarily follows. You're also neglecting more than a few factors such as personal impression of the candidates and whether people actually have faith in them to stick to or carry out their promises.

Taking Josem as an example, more than a few of us here described ourselves as being put off by his campaign style and personality, with one member of the Douglas South electorate describing him as coming across as 'oily', which is probably pretty fair. That's going to have an effect. 

Then you have Clanton, whose campaign page has this as main image:

image.png.fd7528c118868a6bc316f035172dda64.png

I mean, really? Expecting someone to put their faith in someone who has seemingly gone out of their way to present himself as a buffoon is a big ask.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ManxKnob said:

What a cunt you are  Stand and be counted you coward, but don’t critise a guy doing his best. Fukin keyboard coward wanker. Say who you really are and have some curage otherwise STFU - he gave it a good go. What have you eve doen? 

You say, from behind an anonymous account...

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

None of the candidates, apart from perhaps Clanton, were particularly radical though, so I don't know if that conclusion necessarily follows. You're also neglecting more than a few factors such as personal impression of the candidates and whether people actually have faith in them to stick to or carry out their promises.

Taking Josem as an example, more than a few of us here described ourselves as being put off by his campaign style and personality, with one member of the Douglas South electorate describing him as coming across as 'oily', which is probably pretty fair. That's going to have an effect. 

Then you have Clanton, whose campaign page has this as main image:

image.png.fd7528c118868a6bc316f035172dda64.png

I mean, really? Expecting someone to put their faith in someone who has seemingly gone out of their way to present himself as a buffoon is a big ask.

It worked for a number of them for years !!

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, asitis said:

The old boys club will carry on wasting your money until it runs out !

We need politicos who will challenge Government at every turn and ask the questions in public they don't want to answer !

But we aren't ever going to get that. You can wake up here, a local average Joe possibly of limited life or work experience, decide to run for election and four weeks later on the back of less than 500 votes you are in a £50k plus job with further potential to run a department or the Island itself with absolutely no understanding of Government, economics or finance. And as we have seen when most realise their shortcomings or the enormity of the task involved they revert to micro politics concerning themselves with the antics if seagulls or nimby planning complainants.

Food for thought: How many of our politicians do you think  have a grasp (or the capability to grasp) on the enormity of the impact of Brexit and whether or not we as an Island are prepared for it? I'll wager less than a handful at most with everyone contesting themselves that it is someone else's problem.

• Like 3

If you watch Paul Quine;s interview with Paul Moulton you can see why he got in.

He's a local, Anagh Coar lad, all his life. I'm not sure he has much to say outside of the airport although I think the local low-lifes will need to be careful. Josem did well to get so close, and Christian even better to double his votes.

27 minutes ago, Josem said:

I have four accounts blocked on Twitter.

Well that makes me feel reasonably special.

For what its worth I had thought you were ok, even though I think you're wrong on Brexit  (especially the free movement of people),'the 9th worst affected country in the world' and your preposterous stance with Wrighty. You at least showed an interest in things and asked questions, showed a bit of willingness to learn, and I thought therefore you might be someone worth paying a little bit of attention to, but now i think you're a pathetic child. I didn't even swear at you or anything. Grow up.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 1