How would you vote  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Eligibility To be eligible to receive up to 5 LED bulbs, a member of the household must satisfy at least one of the following criteria: - In receipt of benefits i.e. Income support, Income b

Ok as you clearly are actually a knob, let me answer in terms that your clearly inhibited intellect can process. Some illustrations of the kind of people who should stand for the Keys are: 1

His idiotic support for ending the free movement of people in europe will have cost him. And deservedly so. Fucking brexiteers can all fuck off.

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

I welcome anyone to the Island who sees the same beauty and brilliance that the IOM has to offer

Problem is, most immigrants will not have seen the 'Beauty' of the Island but the job or business opportunity.

There are indeed beautiful parts of the Island but hee will take a year or two to be appreciated by immigrants because e they are so concentrated on getting their house and 'new' lives in order.

That's  not to say they are not welcome, bring us your tax and NI, the more the better etc etc. but I doubt the 'Beauty' of the Island is the prime motivator?

• Like 1

I've seen a figure banded about that it costs around 4 K to stand in the elections . Would this be realistic ? . If so I cant see Kevin Oliphant Smith managing that.  

Edited by Numbnuts
1 hour ago, Kopek said:

. but I doubt the 'Beauty' of the Island is the prime motivator?

I can't speak for the experience of others, so can only share my own. I initially came here for work, and that was the catalyst. At the end of 2010, when I decided to make the move from Australia, I expected that it would be fun to go live in a new country for a year or two. Back then, I didn't expect to stay here for more than a couple of years at the most.

But then I arrived, and I loved being part of a strong and vibrant community - where you knew your neighbours, where you were greeted by name when buying milk and eggs at Tesco at 10pm on a Tuesday night. I loved the welcoming nature, most obviously in many different sports throughout my 30s: the basketball, the hockey, and representing the island in Gaelic football. I like being able to wander into town, and recognising many friends. I think the island is a wonderful place to live, and that's why I've literally bet my life on it: that's why I chose to make it my home.

I'm grateful to have had the opportunity to make that choice, and I'm grateful to have been welcomed so thoroughly by so many people.

Obviously, I'll never be ethnically Manx - but Peter Karran once told me, "Being Manx is not about what's in your genes, it's about what's in your heart." I hope to live up to that standard.

• Like 8
13 hours ago, Out of the blue said:

Well said, I have been fortunate enough to experience life in various places throughout my life, and the island eventually pulled me back. I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else, and I know several other immigrants from far flung countries who think the same. We are genuinely very lucky, but by god we do love a good moan.

That's because god created the Manx solely because he needed someone to keep him humble by repeatedly pointing out all of his mistakes and being resolutely unimpressed by any of his works.

I'm in pretty much the same situation as you—the homing instinct kicked in proper about ten years ago or so and just grew until it became impossible to resist.  We're like homing pigeons or salmon. . .exceptionally cantankerous ones who just want to be left alone. 

Edited by VinnieK
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

Claire's making the rounds. Usual stuff, health, waiting times, schools, jobs, etc.

Can she make a difference to any of those? How's she planning to do it all? 

She's working on her manifesto.

Wonder if she'll put in an appearance on here? 

20200718_110550.jpg

Edited by quilp

“Unity has never had a stronger voice.”

Strange slogan. 

What does it mean? United with who? How does that square with the issues she says need addressing. 

• Like 2

Well, certainly via her Facebook pages, during the lockdown she worked tirelessly and effectively to help small business and self-employed. And yes, I would say there was a feeling of unity amongst those she was helping and there can be little doubt that she was an excellent representative.

Edited by gettafa
11 hours ago, Josem said:

I'm grateful to have been welcomed so thoroughly by so many people.

Not to be too disparaging towards our countrymen and women's capacity for cordiality, but unless those people came across as a bit socially awkward and responded to nearly everything with a mumbled "Oh aye, yes" that, whilst polite, seemed to suggest you were making them late for the bus, there's a better than average chance they were English, or at least steeped in their ways*.

*or possibly wanted something.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, VinnieK said:

Not to be too disparaging towards our countrymen and women's capacity for cordiality, but unless those people came across as a bit socially awkward and responded to nearly everything with a mumbled "Oh aye, yes" that, whilst polite, seemed to suggest you were making them late for the bus, there's a better than average chance they were English, or at least steeped in their ways.

Maybe it's time for a MLM campaign...

1 hour ago, Declan said:

Strange slogan. 

What does it mean? United with who? How does that square with the issues she says need addressing. 

It’s like any advertising slogan - meaningless. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, gettafa said:

Well, certainly via her Facebook pages, during the lockdown she worked tirelessly and effectively to help small business and self-employed. And yes, I would say there was a feeling of unity amongst those she was helping and there can be little doubt that she was an excellent representative.

Just so long it doesn't mean. "Unity [within Tynwald] has never had a stronger voice."

• Like 1
16 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

I view a person not from these shores that speaks fluent manx as even more weird than a manx person that does. Serial killer would be my guess

What accent did this Manx speaker use?