How would you vote  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, piebaps said:

Of course it didn't. Politicians rarely answer questions.

Here's another way of thinking about it, 77% of politicians do answer questions 84% of the time but 26% of people asking the questions only listen 48% of the time

• Haha 3
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Eligibility To be eligible to receive up to 5 LED bulbs, a member of the household must satisfy at least one of the following criteria: - In receipt of benefits i.e. Income support, Income b

Ok as you clearly are actually a knob, let me answer in terms that your clearly inhibited intellect can process. Some illustrations of the kind of people who should stand for the Keys are: 1

His idiotic support for ending the free movement of people in europe will have cost him. And deservedly so. Fucking brexiteers can all fuck off.

Posted Images

56 minutes ago, Josem said:

The idea that this election turned on my lack of policy substance is completely bonkers and insane. It's a totally nutty take that has no meaningful relationship to reality. Addressing that point is impossible because it is not grounded in the reality of the universe that we live in.

I don't think anyone said that the election turned on your lack of policy substance.  I said that:

• Liberal Vannin's apparent lack of policy substance is a problem for both them and the electorate, and one that has the potential to lose votes, and
  • Your policy contributions, via your manifesto and interviews, isn't nearly as substantial as you've made them out to be here.

At this point (and based on your performance in interviews and elsewhere on here),  I'm beginning to wonder if that was a deliberate, if wonky, attempt at a strawman, or if you just have difficulty following an argument. Perhaps it's both.

Edited by VinnieK
36 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

so if that isn't why you lost, have you worked out the actual reason yet?

The successful candidates knocked on more doors than I did. They didn't waste time responding to comments on here, instead, they talked to actual voters in person.

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, Josem said:

The successful candidates knocked on more doors than I did. They didn't waste time responding to comments on here, instead, they talked to actual voters in person.

Never Mind the Quality, Feel the Width.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
21 minutes ago, Josem said:

You've made about 40 posts to this thread between the day it started and the day of the election election.  That's about one per day, and a fair proportion of those posts were short and sweet directions to a campaign video, an interview, or your manifesto.

That being the case, do you honestly believe that nothing but the time spent posting on here is what threw the election?

Edited by VinnieK
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
17 minutes ago, Josem said:

I'd agree with that assessment

19 minutes ago, Josem said:

Does that make them cleverer than you then who wasted so much time faffing around on social media? 

Edited by Southfork
3 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

You've made about 40 posts to this thread since it started in early July and before the election.  That's about one per day, and a fair proportion of those posts were short and sweet directions to a campaign video, an interview, or your manifesto.

That being the case, do you honestly believe that nothing but the time spent posting on here is what threw the election?

Oh no, I think there's a lot of other time I spent that wasn't effectively used. Indeed, the dozens of posts and articles on various policy issues I made on my website probably didn't help me to win as much as knocking on more doors would have. Continuing to volunteer on a weekly basis for the foodbank probably didn't help me to win as much as knocking on more doors would have. Spending time engaging on social media so much probably didn't help me to win as much as knocking on more doors would have. Meeting with various people with various policy concerns (everything from animal welfare campaigners to child sexual abuse campaigners and so on) probably didn't help me to win as much as knocking on more doors would have. Continuing to volunteer with my former employer to help workers get jobs on building sites probably didn't help me to win as much as knocking on more doors would have.

There's a whole bunch of things which didn't help me to win as much as knocking on more doors would have. Especially given the very narrow nature of the result, dropping just one of those things might well have swayed the election. 

Just now, Southfork said:

Does that make them clever than you then who wasted so much time faffing around on social media? 

I guess so? They apparently made better choices - It certainly made them more effective at winning votes. The result is pretty persuasive evidence of that!

Look at it from the point of view of any rational candidate in the future: why would you bother engaging here, if you can spend that time speaking directly with voters? You'd have to have rocks in your head to post here.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Josem said:

Look at it from the point of view of any rational candidate in the future: why would you bother engaging here, if you can spend that time speaking directly with voters? You'd have to have rocks in your head to post here.

I said exactly the same thing to Chris Thomas last time he posted here and got hammered. It was a long post but it still stands. It’s a complete waste of effort for a politician (or aspiring one) to post anything here.

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, Josem said:

Oh no, I think there's a lot of other time I spent that wasn't effectively used...

For someone who professes little interest in politics, you seem to find it difficult to communicate in anything other than the politician's idiom.

Well, good luck to you. If it really is simply a matter of knocking on enough doors, you should have no problem getting in next time. And yes, as the Sultan has said, posting on here is a waste of time: we're more than capable of being unpleasant and hypercritical without any direct input at all.

Edited by VinnieK
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Josem said:

The idea that this election turned on my lack of policy substance is completely bonkers and insane. It's a totally nutty take that has no meaningful relationship to reality. Addressing that point is impossible because it is not grounded in the reality of the universe that we live in.

You were born for politics weren’t you?

• Like 2