And They're Off!

Donald Trumps

How would you vote  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/27/2020 at 07:00 PM

44 minutes ago, Josem said:

https://youtu.be/ctZFTmOT3rs?t=250

Short version: build more homes, especially on the brownfield sites of inner/central Douglas. Not only would that help make housing more accessible to more people, but further, it will help create new jobs and better protect the environment on the Isle of Man.

Build the right type of homes for those who want/need to downsize to allow the younger generation to come through and take up the existing stock. Generally the older generation don't want or need larger properties with large gardens that require a lot of maintenance.

We need legislation for greater use of Housing Associations to build affordable housing for those looking to downsize. Most of the HA's on the Island are sheltered housing, which is not the same as a Housing Association for all. There's an assumption that the older generation don't live in privately rented accommodation but have paid off their mortgages and then use the equity to buy smaller property. That ain't always the case. I know of people on fixed retirement income living in private rental properties that they moved into 20 years ago. There are three in our immediate vicinity. Most of the joint pension goes on the rent. Then of course there's also the single person low income sector that needs accommodation as well.  

Whatever is built the construction industry will still build it but build the right properties to fit the demographics not the other way around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No mention of the fact that half of new builds are sold before they're built to buy to let investors. Try buying at the new dandara ballasalla estate, a big chunk are already sold. They'll be available to rent pretty soon. Or the Haven development opposite Janet's Corner in Castletown. Work hasn't even started there and a third are gone. That's what's mental, right there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Josem said:

[...] As I outline in the press release (linked at that same page) this is the data that is normally published by the IOM Government themselves as part of their annual housing report. They have failed to publish it on their website this year as they normally do. I don't know why they've failed to publish it months ago, I guess you'd have to ask them. Obviously, they have the data, since they've provided it here in response to a FOI request. Regardless, all I've done is present the same data that they normally publish (although I hope that I've communicated and shared it in a more accessible manner than the Government normally does).

Quite a lot of the delay will be due to the Economic Affairs staff being diverted away from their regular annual schedule to do other things - and that will still be true when they are dealing with various additional economic measures and increased numbers on regular reports like unemployment.  There's quite a lot of other stuff that was due in the Spring that still hasn't appeared, such as passenger figures.

But there's an extra reason why they may have delayed the report, which is to do with the input data.  These are the transaction records which are usually submitted by the lawyers involved and are frequently late even at the best of times.  It's supposed to be a couple of months or so on average but there are particular types of transactions that can get left for years, though these aren't usually normal house/flat sales.  But even the 'normal' can take quite a few months to get registered and with the effect of offices being shut in the Spring and the pandemic also delaying completion of sales, the delays will be even longer than they usually are.

You can actually see this in the underlying data for property sales (downloads available from here):

https://www.gov.im/media/1357981/isleofmanlandtransactions4920.csv

where you can see a lot of transactions from Autumn 2019, which would probably have normally been gotten round to in Feb to May, not actually appearing till Jul or Aug.  So any figures produced before that would have omitted a lot of data.

As it happens they seem to have included 2019 figures in the FoI reply they supplied you with[1] with remarkable speed, though those may not be final.  The earnings data was already released in April of course.

(Oh, and please don't use thick lines on graphs - it's the graphic equivalent of Comic Sans).

[1]  As ever with FoI there is the servlet problem.  The data set is attached to the reply (which in effect consists of: Please find attached the information requested - a nice example of the longer the question, the shorter the response).  The response is on the FoI search page  with Case ID:1451981; Title:   Housing Affordability Ratio Data; Public Authority: Cabinet Office;  Submitted: 31/08/2020;  Outcome Date    01/09/2020).

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

No mention of the fact that half of new builds are sold before they're built to buy to let investors. Try buying at the new dandara ballasalla estate, a big chunk are already sold. They'll be available to rent pretty soon. Or the Haven development opposite Janet's Corner in Castletown. Work hasn't even started there and a third are gone. That's what's mental, right there.

Off Island investors in the main too.

• Like 1

Lots of market information in this on DOI site (thank you google: isle of man housing study)

https://www.gov.im/categories/home-and-neighbourhood/affordable-housing/affordable-housing-reform/housing-needs-study/

The section near the end seems to indicate the market has elected to provide considerably less new homes than was anticipated. One argument being that's why there's a shortage. The other being developers were worried they wouldn't flog them.

Edited by english zloty
Autocorrect

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

Build the right type of homes for those who want/need to downsize to allow the younger generation to come through and take up the existing stock. Generally the older generation don't want or need larger properties with large gardens that require a lot of maintenance.

We need legislation for greater use of Housing Associations to build affordable housing for those looking to downsize. Most of the HA's on the Island are sheltered housing, which is not the same as a Housing Association for all. There's an assumption that the older generation don't live in privately rented accommodation but have paid off their mortgages and then use the equity to buy smaller property. That ain't always the case. I know of people on fixed retirement income living in private rental properties that they moved into 20 years ago. There are three in our immediate vicinity. Most of the joint pension goes on the rent. Then of course there's also the single person low income sector that needs accommodation as well.  

Whatever is built the construction industry will still build it but build the right properties to fit the demographics not the other way around.

Yep, I'm all for an independent housing association to take on responsibility for both social & affordabe housing

The Examiners property sales have now started to list the Prom Apartment sales?? This is in contrast to the dearth of such sales in the recent past?

Some of these prom 'flats' now being listed seem to be below market or 1st sale price levels. Could that mean that 2nd hand sales of these flats has fallen below market value/ original price sales and would mark them as a not too good investment?

Why did these sales not appear in previous Examiner property sales?

Was there some  agreement between the developers and the Examiner not to reveal the falling value of these flats?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Kopek said:

The Examiners property sales have now started to list the Prom Apartment sales?? This is in contrast to the dearth of such sales in the recent past?

Some of these prom 'flats' now being listed seem to be below market or 1st sale price levels. Could that mean that 2nd hand sales of these flats has fallen below market value/ original price sales and would mark them as a not too good investment?

Why did these sales not appear in previous Examiner property sales?

Was there some  agreement between the developers and the Examiner not to reveal the falling value of these flats?

Most of Spectrum was BMV. 

He's a member of a political party which may, or, maynot change the face of Manx politics.

His attempt at election may be a forerunner of a  SWEEP of seats at the general election or abject rejection of party politics in an Island so endured to personal persona that an party persona might not overcome???

• Haha 1

I'm truly sorry about your Nan and that Manx Radio  did not give her her true public forum!

Fact is, if all political voices are not given airtime, we will be stuck with the same old same old.

Watterson, '' I;m in favour '' of political reform of Tynwald but not untill I have had a go in the Ermine Robes!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slinkydevil said:

Why is Josem given any airtime by the press at all? He's not elected to anything, just a member of the public with an opinion. We all have one of those.

Fookin' 'ell slinky, that's a bit severe. I see where you're coming from kinda thing, but it's a bit harsh.

So . .  folk interested in matters political should be silenced unless they have been elected?

I think you have something you need to tell us?