How would you vote  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Eligibility To be eligible to receive up to 5 LED bulbs, a member of the household must satisfy at least one of the following criteria: - In receipt of benefits i.e. Income support, Income b

Ok as you clearly are actually a knob, let me answer in terms that your clearly inhibited intellect can process. Some illustrations of the kind of people who should stand for the Keys are: 1

His idiotic support for ending the free movement of people in europe will have cost him. And deservedly so. Fucking brexiteers can all fuck off.

Posted Images

On 9/13/2020 at 7:44 PM, TheTeapot said:

That Devon bloke who is probably in all of those groups, is going for a seat at DBC according to something on fb

And lo it was so

Voters in Douglas Council’s Derby Ward constituency will have four candidates from whom to choose when they head to the polls next month.

Alan Charles Buck, who’s retired, programmer and ’activist’ Samuel James Hamer, former school teacher Amanda Jane Walker and community organiser Devon Watson are all standing in the contest.

It actually turns out this 'news' is  as up to date as these things usually are and nominations closed on Monday and were confirmed on Tuesday:

A poll for the election of two members of Douglas Borough Council to represent Derby Ward will be held on Thursday, October 15, 2020.

The candidates nominated are: 

Alan Charles Buck, 10 Eaton Court, Palace Road, Douglas. (Retired). Proposer: Amanda Jane Griffin. Seconder: Breeshey Jennings.

Samuel James Hamer. 2 Raphael Road, Douglas. (Programmer and activist). Proposer: Sophie Reynolds. Seconder: Liam Reynolds.

Amanda Jane Walker. 15 Hilary Park, Douglas. (Retired school teacher). Proposer: Philip Richard Craine. Seconder Antony Whittaker.

Devon Watson. 32, Derby Road, Douglas. (Community organiser). Proposer: Vanessa Edwards. Seconder: Jordan Watson,.

Voting will open at 8am and close at 8pm. 

Polling stations are:

Derby Polling District: Manx Concert Brass Bandroom, Derby Road.

Windsor and Tynswald Polling Districts: Scout Hall, Demesne Road.

Walker was the runner-up in the 2018 by-election in the ward.

6 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Was going to ask the same question. Never heard of the job title “. Community Organiser”. !

I think you can put whatever you want as your description (there's probably a maximum of six words as there is in the UK).  So he may just have decided that 'Community Organiser' sounded cooler than 'Accounts Clerk' or whatever.

In most places, the description is normally used for someone's political Party or 'Independent', I suppose using it for job titles has developed out of a situation where nearly everyone calls themselves that.  Though we have missed out on the opportunity to discover which political Party Mr Watson is in this week.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I think you can put whatever you want as your description (there's probably a maximum of six words as there is in the UK).  So he may just have decided that 'Community Organiser' sounded cooler than 'Accounts Clerk' or whatever.

In most places, the description is normally used for someone's political Party or 'Independent', I suppose using it for job titles has developed out of a situation where nearly everyone calls themselves that.  Though we have missed out on the opportunity to discover which political Party Mr Watson is in this week.

In fairness, he is described as “organiser” for his save the planet party.

His aims look reasonable enough on his campaign page. No doubt the usual suspects here will think/hope that they're unachievable, but looks better than the usual status-quo shite we get from most candidates.

• Like 1

Barrack Obama was a community organiser in the Eighties and he did worthwhile stuff. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama#Community_organizer_and_Harvard_Law_School

For me Community Organiser brings to mind someone like the woman who runs Soundcheck or Bill Dale or someone who manages a food bank - you know organises stuff. Not someone who organises the community to protest - that's an activist. There's a place for both in politics, but I think an activist needs to demonstrate an ability to deal with practical things (even that's he manages a coffee shop).

13 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

Guy has a sense of entitlement. First it was free buses, now a 'better standard of living' than his parents. Erm... what?

Screenshot-2020-09-25-at-13-39-12.png

Err, isn't that exactly what we should aspire to give each following generation?

EDIT: Also it's hardly entitlement if it's as a result of being better educated and working longer hours is it?

Edited by HeliX
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Err, isn't that exactly what we should aspire to give each following generation?

EDIT: Also it's hardly entitlement if it's as a result of being better educated and working longer hours is it?

He has a point but it's probably true of his parents generation too, assuming they're born in the 60/70s. Most will have both partners working full time unlike their parents, retiring later on worse pensions than their predecessors. And it's probably not his grandparents or parents fault anyway - they're probably just ordinary folk who got up each day and went to work - they didn't invent capitalism, cut them some slack.

The better educated comment is naive. I mean I've got a degree, but the workplace training, vocational courses, the experience gained from doing stuff, the places I've been, the reading I've done are  a bigger part my education. I'm pretty sure the training needed to be a mastercraftsman of old is equal to a few modules on "Management Theory".

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Declan said:

The better educated comment is naive. I mean I've got a degree, but the workplace training, vocational courses, the experience gained from doing stuff, the places I've been, the reading I've done are  a bigger part my education. I'm pretty sure the training needed to be a mastercraftsman of old is equal to a few modules on "Management Theory".

It's a naïve and very supercilious attitude to expect a 'better education' (the precise nature of which being, as you point out, much harder to pin down in reality than Devon suggests) to lead automatically to a better standard of living.  The simple fact is that standards of living aren't and, more to the point, can't and even shouldn't be purely (or even mainly) a function of education—there's a whole range of personal, regional, historical, and international factors at play there which affect each and every person differently.

Ignoring the more personal and intangible benefits, education is most realistically thought of as just one type of investment in a person's life.  Like all investments, it won't always pay off and it's not automatically an injustice when it doesn't.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Declan said:

He has a point but it's probably true of his parents generation too, assuming they're born in the 60/70s. Most will have both partners working full time unlike their parents, retiring later on worse pensions than their predecessors. And it's probably not his grandparents or parents fault anyway - they're probably just ordinary folk who got up each day and went to work - they didn't invent capitalism, cut them some slack.

It likely is yeah. Which is ridiculous. There's more "wealth" in the world than there has ever been, and yet things appear to be going backwards for the average person.

Agreed on the education point. There's certainly no direct link between education and salary. However, having our (considerably more expensive!) education not result in at least a similar standard of living is pretty galling.

• Like 1