How would you vote  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I do not agree that my children were better educated than I was I had a basic education but made the most of it and although they all work extremely hard and are ambitious they have never had to work the hours I did, doing two jobs for most of my life to buy a house and bring the family up.   Holidays in my childhood were a trip every few years to see the relatives in Scotland and England, in turn they came over, not every year to see us.   That is how it was.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Eligibility To be eligible to receive up to 5 LED bulbs, a member of the household must satisfy at least one of the following criteria: - In receipt of benefits i.e. Income support, Income b

Ok as you clearly are actually a knob, let me answer in terms that your clearly inhibited intellect can process. Some illustrations of the kind of people who should stand for the Keys are: 1

His idiotic support for ending the free movement of people in europe will have cost him. And deservedly so. Fucking brexiteers can all fuck off.

Posted Images

3 hours ago, HeliX said:

Having our (considerably more expensive!) education not result in at least a similar standard of living is pretty galling.

Perhaps a part of what's to blame is also society's attitude towards higher education and in particular the trend of credentialism that's been running rampant through HR departments for the past thirty years or so.

That's not to play down the more prominent role of growing inequality and the economic situation, but I don't think it particularly helps matters when

• jobs that don't strictly require a higher education qualification demand one (either to offload part of training costs onto the state, or to make HR departments' lives easier by giving them a handy tick box to filter candidates out);
  • higher education is marketed as a must have and operates on a pile 'em high (but don't sell it cheap) model.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very much in favour of the free availability of further and higher education to those who want or might benefit from it, but I can't help but feel that the role it currently occupies in relation to the labour market and the view of it as prerequisite to a 'better life' is a bit antiquated and potentially damaging.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 9/24/2020 at 5:32 PM, Declan said:

I was thinking about Devon at lunch. The cafe had a special of Manx Crab with Avocado.

What does he actually do for a living? He just seems to be some horrid whinny little Trotskyist who fronts a campaign for almost everything that’s wrong with the world. He’s not Manx either is he? 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

What does he actually do for a living? He just seems to be some horrid whinny little Trotskyist who fronts a campaign for almost everything that’s wrong with the world. He’s not Manx either is he? 

Yeah imagine not only wanting things to be better but also actually doing something about it! Haha what a complete loser.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Yeah imagine not only wanting things to be better but also actually doing something about it! Haha what a complete loser.

Well he doesn’t really seem to do a lot about any of his causes. Just make a lot of silly noise and then noisily move onto the next silly woke issue of little consequence. Sounds like an ideal Douglas councilor - probably offering 10 years of noise and nothing like rest of them. 

2 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Well he doesn’t really seem to do a lot about any of his causes. Just make a lot of silly noise and then noisily move onto the next silly woke issue of little consequence. 

Wasn't this a result of all the climate change campaigning he (edit: and the other "silly woke" people in the Climate Change Coalition) did? https://www.itv.com/news/granada/2020-01-09/isle-of-man-government-commits-10-million-for-immediate-implementation-to-tackle-climate-emergency

I'm sure that's tiny compared to things you've achieved, mind.

Edited by HeliX

Wasn't this a result of all the climate change campaigning he (edit: and the other "silly woke" people in the Climate Change Coalition) did? https://www.itv.com/news/granada/2020-01-09/isle-of-man-government-commits-10-million-for-immediate-implementation-to-tackle-climate-emergency

I'm sure that's tiny compared to things you've achieved, mind.

They’ve committed to nothing. Certainly £10m won’t be spent. The noise of a climate action plan has just bought off a load of whinny wokes - 2050 is 30 years away. 

1 minute ago, thesultanofsheight said:

They’ve committed to nothing. Certainly £10m won’t be spent. The noise of a climate action plan has just bought off a load of whinny wokes - 2050 is 30 years away. 

As I suspected, you must have achieved great things. It can't possibly be that you're spouting off on a forum railing against people who are bothering to try to make things better while doing roundly fuck all yourself.

Because that would be the action of a twerp. So that clearly can't be it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
1 minute ago, HeliX said:

As I suspected, you must have achieved great things. It can't possibly be that you're spouting off on a forum railing against people who are bothering to try to make things better while doing roundly fuck all yourself.

A bit close to home that criticism was it? 

Clearly it can...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I would hope that any prospective Douglas councillor would go in there primed with the right questions about how the hell someone has come up with the costings for that proposed block of flats in Willaston. Because they're insane.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 9/24/2020 at 5:32 PM, Declan said:

I was thinking about Devon at lunch. The cafe had a special of Manx Crab with Avocado.

Shouldn't that be Cream Scones? Devon insists Tynwald outlaws 'Jam first'?

• Haha 1
21 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I would hope that any prospective Douglas councillor would go in there primed with the right questions about how the hell someone has come up with the costings for that proposed block of flats in Willaston. Because they're insane.

Maybe the Corpy want to have apartments in Willaston equally as good as the drug den apartments on the Majestic site.

Just now, dilligaf said:

Maybe the Corpy want to have apartments in Willaston equally as good as the drug den apartments on the Majestic site.

The difference, Dilli, is that one was built as a for profit private enterprise and the other will be funded by the ratepayers. If the Willaston ones were being built by Dandara for example, they'd hit the market for LESS than what the the Corpy are proposing to spend to build them. The costings are bullshit.

It shouldn't really bother me, not living in Douglasland, but it does, you're being taken for a ride.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1