Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man

How would you vote  

88 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Declan said:

I think he was talking about HM Sole. 

That joke was probably a bit too subtle for MF :)

Edited by James Hampton
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

He’s an underfunded visionary.

Oh come on!!!

His go fund me campaign was £999,999,000 underfunded on his E.G.G. (Ecological Geophysical Galleon I believe that acronym stood for, whatever one of those is)

It's complete nonsense, which fatally undermines his credibility and suitability to be an MHK.

You could say we are all underfunded visionaries, but I think I could think of a lot more practical and useful ways to spend a billion quid.

A complete waste of a vote imho.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/22/2020 at 10:02 PM, dilligaf said:

We need change like a hole in the head. Like I’ve said many times. If one does not like what we are, just fuck off back. Most of us don’t want change.

But yes, he is mad as a bag of frogs. You have a short memory , or a selective one. God only knows why you had a coffee with him. 

Dilli - we really do need change, and very rapidly. Spuds, herring and a much less regular boat in the morning is where we are heading otherwise. None of this is going to affect core day to day quality of life, but at present, unless there’s a significant shift in thinking and direction in order to stimulate the economy beyond ‘borrow a hundred million quid and create some more government jobs’.

On 7/22/2020 at 11:43 PM, James Hampton said:

Thanks Derek.

That’s the nicest thing anyone’s said about me round here.

i do feel slightly usurped as the ‘most alternative’ vote, but there’s still time to improve for 2021. 

CI think I saId it directly at the time. 

On 7/23/2020 at 5:36 AM, b4mbi said:

Oh come on!!!

His go fund me campaign was £999,999,000 underfunded on his E.G.G. (Ecological Geophysical Galleon I believe that acronym stood for, whatever one of those is)

It's complete nonsense, which fatally undermines his credibility and suitability to be an MHK.

You could say we are all underfunded visionaries, but I think I could think of a lot more practical and useful ways to spend a billion quid.

A complete waste of a vote imho.

Let’s just have a look at this for a moment. Yep, the Egg is totes off the wall, but strip it out as a metaphor for something better - a new way of running a society. 

This is where the world goes wrong a lot of the time -dismissing the high level concept without dissecting the detail. I suppose it’s a bit like policing ; you don’t get very far just taking everything at face value.

Remember this;

“Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.”

Edited by Derek Flint
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Manx Radio are now claiming 7 runners anyone name them ?

Claire Christian

Marc Clarke

Ian James Clanton

David Fowler

Lon Pinkerton

Michael Josem 

Kevin Oliphant Smith

Pamela Birnie- Malarkey

51 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

“Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.”

I’ve always thought that was the strangest speech to give to Sid James in ‘Carry On Camping’.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

“Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. . .”

"All progress is driven by misfits/rebels/whatever*" ≠ "All misfits drive progress"

*Also, self-aggrandizing corporate blather from Apple ≠ truth.

Let’s just have a look at this for a moment. Yep, the Egg is totes off the wall, but strip it out as a metaphor for something better - a new way of running a society. 

This is where the world goes wrong a lot of the time -dismissing the high level concept without dissecting the detail. I suppose it’s a bit like policing ; you don’t get very far just taking everything at face value.

That's not really a very convincing argument though since you can play that game with any statement. For (an extreme) example:

Arthur Sinister declares "80% of newborns should be chosen at random and liquified, with advanced technology being used to turn the goop into starship fuel so we can finally conquer the planet of the Scorpion people. Don't worry about the babies though, we'll have harvested their souls and implanted them into super intelligent and adorable robotic teddy bears"

Now, when everyone starts rolling their eyes and sniggering, do you leap out from behind a conveniently placed shrubbery and say "A-ha! Let's just hang on a mo, my dismissive and mentally enfeebled chums!  Yes, this idea is strange,  but strip it out as a metaphor for addressing the burning issue of overpopulation and dwindling resources here on Earth - a new way of renewing society and focusing our energies"?

Edited by VinnieK
  • Like 6
  • Haha 3

This is worse than a school playground!  

FWIW, HM is bright and enthusiastic, he is also beautiful from the inside to out, I absolutely adore him. Kevin is a bit of a wet blanket, Claire is proactive but I suspect she's not really in it for the people, Mr Josem is ace, smart guy with loads of energy and good ideas. I don't know of the rest but I hope Mr Josem and HM win the seats :)

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, 2bees said:

This is worse than a school playground!  

FWIW, HM is bright and enthusiastic, he is also beautiful from the inside to out, I absolutely adore him. Kevin is a bit of a wet blanket, Claire is proactive but I suspect she's not really in it for the people, Mr Josem is ace, smart guy with loads of energy and good ideas. I don't know of the rest but I hope Mr Josem and HM win the seats :)

I would expect Josem to get one of the seats. But I’m sorry anyone who votes for a complete crackpot like H M Sole deserves all they get. What will he actually do in the role of MHK given the number of crackpot things he already tries to do in his private life? The DFE and DOI alone will love him. The number of crazy infrastructure projects or initiatives alone that he could be a catalyst for would be mind blowing. An international space port? An undersea kingdom? Alien tourism? A teleport facility between here and Heysham? The man is clearly a complete loon from the things he’s said and the things he’s tried to fund via his madcap cult already. That said from the performance of those girls on the Tynwald Day protests there seems to be perhaps more than a bit of brainwashing going on in relation to his acolytes so who knows he may successfully get half of Douglas South into some sort of mind-altering trance. 

Edited by Mr Newbie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Something popped up on my facebook a page for someone named Pamela who said she going to run. No other details no surname just Pamela. 

Edited by thommo2010

1 hour ago, 2bees said:

HM is bright and enthusiastic, he is also beautiful from the inside to out, I absolutely adore him. 

51 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

That said from the performance of those girls on the Tynwald Day protests there seems to be perhaps more than a bit of brainwashing going on in relation to his acolytes so who knows he may successfully get half of Douglas South into some sort of mind-altering trance. 

I'm not sure what the performance of those girls was on the Tynwald Day protests. Was 2bees one of them?

• Haha 1

Thank you John I suspect quite a few of these are unemployed or looking for an escape from their present employment.    Sole seems to be lacking in knowledge of the real world, Josem is between jobs allegedly, Christian is probably looking for an additional income in these hard times, the others......nothing impressive.    It will be a case of best of bunch again, what a sad state of affairs.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, gettafa said:

I'm not sure what the performance of those girls was on the Tynwald Day protests. Was 2bees one of them?

Absolutely not hahahaha 

• Haha 1