And They're Off!

Donald Trumps

How would you vote  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/27/2020 at 07:00 PM

19 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

He’s an underfunded visionary.

not a bad bloke. Immensely creative and could well be the breath of fresh air the house needs. 

I know of people who have seen a slightly darker side to Mr Sole.. 

Also, he’s certainly no visionary unless you figure that trying to extract money from people to fund his completely incoherent, unachievable, unrealistic projects somehow counts as such.

I know he got a few politicians and misguided business people on board, but don’t be one of them Derek.

Unless you’re just taking the piss of course.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I’m  a bit confused/concerned about the date of the by election.

KC gave notice of resignation on or about 13/7 ( at least that was when it was announced - it’s possible she gave it a month earlier ) and under the rules she has to give one month notice before it takes effect. 

That means her seat doesn’t actually fall vacant until 13 August and a Writ for her seat can’t be moved until after then. I must be missing something.

s. 6(9) of the Representation of the People Act says

A sitting member of the Keys other than the Speaker may resign his or her
seat on giving to the Speaker one month’s previous notice in writing of his
or her intention so to do, and at the expiry of such notice his or her seat
shall thereupon become vacant.

Governator has moved the writ. hasn't he?

1 hour ago, Sheldon said:

You're not the chap who adapted the script for "Jack and the Beanstalk" for the Gaiety panto, are you? Because that would explain a lot! 

Not me. But whoever did may have been stealing my thoughts.  No chance of that now, not since I invented the hypergalactic electromagnetic bioelectrical brain magnet during a round of eight dimensional tennis with Kofi Annan.

You can have one too, for the low, low price of £1,452. It looks remarkably like a slipper filled with mince. Buy two and impress your friends and visiting dignitaries! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I think many will be confused about the latest entry - rather Mrs Pamela Birnie-Malarkey. From what I know, she never took the the late Bill’s surname upon their nuptials, nor was even so known at his funeral. So, call me cyclical for suggesting that she is now just using the Malarkey name purely for self-interest and to capture the sympathy vote? I do hope that at least she had the common courtesy to let his 3 daughters know she intended to suddenly adopt the name before announcing her intention to stand. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

I’m  a bit confused/concerned about the date of the by election.

KC gave notice of resignation on or about 13/7 ( at least that was when it was announced - it’s possible she gave it a month earlier ) and under the rules she has to give one month notice before it takes effect. 

That means her seat doesn’t actually fall vacant until 13 August and a Writ for her seat can’t be moved until after then. I must be missing something.

s. 6(9) of the Representation of the People Act says

A sitting member of the Keys other than the Speaker may resign his or her
seat on giving to the Speaker one month’s previous notice in writing of his
or her intention so to do, and at the expiry of such notice his or her seat
shall thereupon become vacant.

In her IOM TV interview, just after she announced she was stepping down:

at the start she confirmed that she had 'handed-in' her resignation a month before and so the seat was already vacant.  There doesn't seem to be any obligation on the part of the Speaker to publicise being informed and I suppose an MHK could change their mind and withdraw it.

(It was mentioned on the resignation thread, though pretty much in passing)

15 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

I think many will be confused about the latest entry - rather Mrs Pamela Birnie-Malarkey. From what I know, she never took the the late Bill’s surname upon their nuptials, nor was even so known at his funeral. So, call me cyclical for suggesting that she is now just using the Malarkey name purely for self-interest and to capture the sympathy vote? I do hope that at least she had the common courtesy to let his 3 daughters know she intended to suddenly adopt the name before announcing her intention to stand. 

It may be a legal thing, what you are known as isn't automatically your legal name, and that is what has to go on the ballot paper.  Which is why you sometimes see "known as ..." after a name there.

7 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It may be a legal thing, what you are known as isn't automatically your legal name, and that is what has to go on the ballot paper.  Which is why you sometimes see "known as ..." after a name there.

There isn’t any such thing as a “legal name”. Not in the IOM. You have the name on your birth certificate, but you can call yourself anything you want. Anything. And you don’t need a deed poll change of name.

Its a convention in England, and here, that women adopt their husband’s family name. It’s not a universal convention. Scotland never adopted it. Spain has a different convention entirely.

in the professions there are many women who retain their maiden name, as they qualified before marriage.

Likewise in this day and age of non nuclear, non marital, step families there are lots of kids who are known by names not on their birth certificate.

24 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

In her IOM TV interview, just after she announced she was stepping down:

at the start she confirmed that she had 'handed-in' her resignation a month before and so the seat was already vacant.  There doesn't seem to be any obligation on the part of the Speaker to publicise being informed and I suppose an MHK could change their mind and withdraw it.

(It was mentioned on the resignation thread, though pretty much in passing)

I’d missed that. Mind now at ease.

i see a retired pilot, a Paul Quine, is candidate 9.

I think nine candidates is more than any constituency had during the 2016 election.

That's actually a little worrying since it can increase the chances that

• people win/lose on the slimmest of margins
  • those who do win do so with a small proportion of the vote, calling their mandate into question.

I wonder if something like the single transferrable vote would be a better mechanism for our elections.

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Yes, but was it ultravires? If so it’s like the Johnson prorogation. A blank bit of paper and no effect. 

Governator can do no wrong in the CM's eyes & he - Quayle - is looking forward to the by-election, so nothing is likely to change 

Tynwald is off on holiday FOR THREE MONTHs so they're not going to do anything about it either

6 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

I think nine candidates is more than any constituency had during the 2016 election.

That's actually a little worrying since it can increase the chances that

• people win/lose on the slimmest of margins
  • those who do win do so with a small proportion of the vote, calling their mandate into question.

I wonder if something like the single transferrable vote would be a better mechanism for our elections.

We Manx people are too stupid for complicated voting systems

We know our place

• Haha 1