And They're Off!

Donald Trumps

How would you vote  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/27/2020 at 07:00 PM

8 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

I think nine candidates is more than any constituency had during the 2016 election.

That's actually a little worrying since it can increase the chances that

• people win/lose on the slimmest of margins
  • those who do win do so with a small proportion of the vote, calling their mandate into question.

I wonder if something like the single transferrable vote would be a better mechanism for our elections.

Yep, we had it. Then gave it up. 

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

NINE candidates!!!

Will there be enough voters to go round?

Well there were seven for one seat in Douglas East in the last by-election for the Keys, so with two seats we should hoping for at least 14.  I can see the Returning Officer[1] desperately looking up what to do in the event of a three-way tie.

[1]  James Quinn of Quinn Legal (relation?).  Here's the Nomination Papers, if anyone's tempted.

4 hours ago, piebaps said:

Well we've had a convicted arsonist, a drink driver and a bus spewer. He'll fit in nicely.:D

To be fair, the convicted arsonist was a long time before he was elected.

Still doesn't stop him being a bit of a plank, setting fire to what would generally be agreed was the 'wrong house'. And that car was more than a wee bit identifiable. And even though quite a young fella at the time, maybe has a lot more knowledge about the daubing on his own 'doorstep' so to speak, of a house of one of the greatest Manxmen of our time (rather than some sort of dripping rich tax dodging comeover come lately English property speculator).

Edited by gettafa

1 hour ago, Manx Bean said:

I think many will be confused about the latest entry - rather Mrs Pamela Birnie-Malarkey. From what I know, she never took the the late Bill’s surname upon their nuptials, nor was even so known at his funeral. So, call me cyclical for suggesting that she is now just using the Malarkey name purely for self-interest and to capture the sympathy vote? I do hope that at least she had the common courtesy to let his 3 daughters know she intended to suddenly adopt the name before announcing her intention to stand. 

No she hasn’t and also didn’t tell them about the ashes being scattered at Tynwald 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Declan said:

Who's the greatest Manxman of our time?

Sorry, probably rather obsequious of me, but the nearest to James Bond 007 the Island ever had. 

Let's just say a Manxman. But who built a bungalow for himself at a time when just  a few years before the bungalow building rate on the Isle of Man had been just one in a single year.

Back then, bungalows were bad and must be being built by them there property speculators and tax dodgers from England.

So burn it down or daub it.

Life on the Isle of Man was so simple in those days, like a century or two before; how to test for a woman being a witch.

22 minutes ago, Declan said:

Who's the greatest Manxman of our time?

Dr Prof Brian Stowell has recently passed away, so the position is currently vacant

I doubt if he will be surpassed in our my lifetime

Edited by Donald Trumps

29 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Sorry, probably rather obsequious of me, but the nearest to James Bond 007 the Island ever had. 

Let's just say a Manxman. But who built a bungalow for himself at a time when just  a few years before the bungalow building rate on the Isle of Man had been just one in a single year.

Back then, bungalows were bad and must be being built by them there property speculators and tax dodgers from England.

So burn it down or daub it.

Life on the Isle of Man was so simple in those days, like a century or two before; how to test for a woman being a witch.

Was his third forename Skrine and his son’s second forename Boreel?

8 hours ago, VinnieK said:

"All progress is driven by misfits/rebels/whatever*" ≠ "All misfits drive progress"

*Also, self-aggrandizing corporate blather from Apple ≠ truth.

That's not really a very convincing argument though since you can play that game with any statement. For (an extreme) example:

Arthur Sinister declares "80% of newborns should be chosen at random and liquified, with advanced technology being used to turn the goop into starship fuel so we can finally conquer the planet of the Scorpion people. Don't worry about the babies though, we'll have harvested their souls and implanted them into super intelligent and adorable robotic teddy bears"

Now, when everyone starts rolling their eyes and sniggering, do you leap out from behind a conveniently placed shrubbery and say "A-ha! Let's just hang on a mo, my dismissive and mentally enfeebled chums!  Yes, this idea is strange,  but strip it out as a metaphor for addressing the burning issue of overpopulation and dwindling resources here on Earth - a new way of renewing society and focusing our energies"?

Is the Egg actually a metaphor for the Isle of Man?

2 hours ago, Twitch said:

I know of people who have seen a slightly darker side to Mr Sole.. 

Also, he’s certainly no visionary unless you figure that trying to extract money from people to fund his completely incoherent, unachievable, unrealistic projects somehow counts as such.

I know he got a few politicians and misguided business people on board, but don’t be one of them Derek.

Unless you’re just taking the piss of course.

What’s the worst that could happen here?

He gets elected, and is in fact the prince of darkness. Sept 2021, out on his ear, and the usual, stereotypical ‘Safe bet’ gets elected to steer the gravy boat through another five years of mediocrity.

HM popping his head up is actually a shining example of why we keep coming up short. We are simply too cautious, and timid to take some bold steps to try to change the outlook and the landscape. 

And then we all moan about the state of the nation. This is a once in a decade to try something utterly radical with little risk. Be bold, South Douglas!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Is the Egg actually a metaphor for the Isle of Man?

What’s the worst that could happen here?

He gets elected, and is in fact the prince of darkness. Sept 2021, out on his ear, and the usual, stereotypical ‘Safe bet’ gets elected to steer the gravy boat through another five years of mediocrity.

HM popping his head up is actually a shining example of why we keep coming up short. We are simply too cautious, and timid to take some bold steps to try to change the outlook and the landscape. 

And then we all moan about the state of the nation. This is a once in a decade to try something utterly radical with little risk. Be bold, South Douglas!

But we don’t all moan about the state of the nation. It is mainly people who want to make the Isle of Man just another bit of that useless England that they came from. People love it here because it is not like England and hope it always remains that way.

I think most here, Manx and those who have made it their home, want it like it is. Different. Can’t for one think you are serious in backing this idiot who has more or less mocked the IOM and it’s Government to a man. I wouldn’t give him house room.

The Bees just wants to marry mini bees off. :flowers:

Edited by dilligaf
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

But we don’t all moan about the state of the nation. It is mainly people who want to make the Isle of Man just another bit of that useless England that they came from. People love it here because it is not like England and hope it always remains that way.

I think most here, Manx and those who have made it their home, want it like it is. Different. Can’t for one think you are serious in backing this idiot who has more or less mocked the IOM and it’s Government to a man. I wouldn’t give him house room.

The Bees just wants to marry mini bees off. :flowers:

I, like you, want the place to be different. What I don’t want is for it to be mediocre and a little bit shit, which is the way it has been sliding for the last 15years. Lots is great, but it is slowly being eroded and undermined.

We can be so much better. Indeed, we have to be to survive.

Edited by Derek Flint
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1