And They're Off!

Donald Trumps

How would you vote  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Why don’t we wait to see what pledges they make in generally pointless manifestos, rather than doing a character assassination on here?

People are different. Some we like, some we don’t, but it would be helpful if we could judge on substance, ability etc.

But Derek character assassination and snide references to people's ancestry is what we do.  It's a Manx speciality, you can't expect us to abandon our heritage.  We'll just sit here going "And her great-grandmother was no better than she should be".[1]

And to be fair the candidates are often no better, with manifestos (as you say) full of pointless platitudes and personal stuff about themselves and their families and connections and charity work.  And not much about what they want to do or change.

[1]  Which is you think about is completely meaningless, though it does have a distinguished literary heritage.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Just Googled Kevin the Oliphant as far as I can see he's -

Edited by Declan
  • Thanks 2

When he knocked on my door he announced himself as an advocate. I was genuinely interested and asked a few questions, which he parried and then said he was an advocate for people with mental health issues.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

He was described as a “director “ on today’s news, but recently described himself as a “ health care assistant “

Is he both ? 

His twitter seems to show him with an NHS lanyard recently.

I guess one can have a job as Health Care Assistant and be director of a hobby company selling stuff (for example)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Why don’t we wait to see what pledges they make in generally pointless manifestos, rather than doing a character assassination on here?

People are different. Some we like, some we don’t, but it would be helpful if we could judge on substance, ability etc.

there is no substance in MHK's before or after election, it's all a lie.

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

But Derek character assassination and snide references to people's ancestry is what we do.  It's a Manx speciality, you can't expect us to abandon our heritage.  We'll just sit here going "And her great-grandmother was no better than she should be".[1]

And to be fair the candidates are often no better, with manifestos (as you say) full of pointless platitudes and personal stuff about themselves and their families and connections and charity work.  And not much about what they want to do or change.

[1]  Which is you think about is completely meaningless, though it does have a distinguished literary heritage.

You are spot on.

i would also say that Douglas South has for 30+ years has had DJ Cretney and Kate as MHKs interspersed with Malarkey and others. I’m surprised that both MLP and LibLabVan haven’t got candidates quick off the blocks ready. Like the suggestion that family connections/nepotism is popular within Manx Politics or keep it in the family, some see Douglas South like a fiefdom, a seat for the long term. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

He is one of those people, and I say this with kindness cos I quite like him, that is very good at starting things, but not very good at seeing them through.

Does he work for the Department of Incompetence?

32 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Like the suggestion that family connections/nepotism is popular within Manx Politics or keep it in the family, some see Douglas South like a fiefdom, a seat for the long term. 

The way she kicked off about parking in town killing trade immediately after Covid and went for Cllr Christian directly and was very quickly silenced and asked to delete posts on Facebook I might suggested she’s been picked as somebody who is better pissing from inside the tent. I believe her hand is being closely held by someone in the DfE. But there’s still no real need to register on here just to insult the woman for her claimed family background. 

• Haha 1

I might not post here often but I follow all comments closely. I have thought long and hard about standing but would prefer to concentrate my effort on the GE 2021. After reviewing the 2016 manifestos I agree with Derek Flint that most are pointless.  The contents need to be more specific and costed and I also think little can be achieved in a year when all the current Members will be doing anything they can to get elected. Therefore I will wait and put something forward for real change, openness, transparency, where politicians rather than senior civil servants take decisions and real cost savings are made for utilisation in frontline services.