And They're Off!

Donald Trumps

How would you vote  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

14 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

Is it actually a manifesto? It doesn't say anything, just that we've had a pandemic that was shit for the economy. Well duh, we know that bit.

Are there some pages missing?

Brain cells I think rather than pages.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

Is it actually a manifesto? 

The answer is honestly no it isn’t. But then again he looks to be a bit too lazy to be bothered putting a proper manifesto together. Maybe there was darts on down the Heron that night? His whole life experience seems to be an extensive time working for government but he apparently has the solution to get all these unemployed private sector people back to work in these testing times. But his manifesto strangely doesn’t seem to explain how. 

Edited by Mr Newbie

It would be nice to get an mhk who is actually positive and will try to make things happen. I've spoken to a few about different ideas that might be good for say Douglas promenade gave details of who to talk to etc, pretty much dismissed straight away, no appetite unless it's easy or will pick up a few votes. 

51 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

Is it actually a manifesto? It doesn't say anything, just that we've had a pandemic that was shit for the economy. Well duh, we know that bit.

Are there some pages missing?

Yes, based on his ‘manifesto’ Lon’s the kind of visionary with the big ideas we need to get us out of this mess...

Zero ideas, zero experience, zero credibility.

28 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

It would be nice to get an mhk who is actually positive and will try to make things happen. I've spoken to a few about different ideas that might be good for say Douglas promenade gave details of who to talk to etc, pretty much dismissed straight away, no appetite unless it's easy or will pick up a few votes. 

The prospective MHK's dismissed your ideas or an incumbent?

Your idea might not have been practical or cost effective, did they give reasons for why they dismissed it?

5 minutes ago, Twitch said:

Yes, based on his ‘manifesto’ Lon’s the kind of visionary with the big ideas we need to get us out of this mess...

It's probably not a very popular view, but candidates spouting a whole bunch of big ideas immediately makes me doubt their suitability.  It's not that I'm against ideas, big or small, so much as I have to wonder about anyone who comes out of nowhere convinced that they understand something as big and complicated as a society or an economy and the practical difficulties of changing one or more aspects of it enough to have a bunch of big-ticket, sure fire solutions in their back pocket.

Maybe some do, but I'm willing to bet that most fall far short of the mark and are so lacking in self-awareness that they just end up blaming everyone else when reality drives an armoured car right through the middle of their grand vision. Those in the latter group are as bad, if not a bit worse than those with no ideas.

I'd prefer instead to see someone with a few decent ideas that are influenced by a consistent view of society that I more or less agree with, and, most importantly, some kind of evidence that they have the sense and temperament to sensibly consider evidence presented before them and know when to step-in or, just as importantly, stand back from the decision-making process. 

• Like 2

What exactly is wrong with a manifesto built on the concept of a theme park? DFE could just buy dismaland and make it worse. 

DEFA worlds first solar powered rollercoaster and Boot with his shoot will go down a hoot. 

longtail can have a train which goes round the park except it never runs

crazy golf where the course is based on the promenade works and the holes are potholes

a steampacket sponsored Viking boat swing which randomly stops and then continues halfspeed for the rest of the ride

what else? 

Edited by english zloty
  • Like 1

It doesn't really matter what they write in their manifestos there isn't enough time left for them to achieve anything. The best they can hope for is an extra 10k in a government post. I would be surprised if more than one or two them actually knew what MHK's do. I would be even more surprised if any of them had actually been in Legislative Buildings to watch a sitting (although some of them may have made a token gesture of turning up to the last tynwald).

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Rhumsaa said:

The prospective MHK's dismissed your ideas or an incumbent?

Your idea might not have been practical or cost effective, did they give reasons for why they dismissed it?

Incumbent. 

You're right the ideas may not be practical etc but it was just dismissed straight away no I'll look into it etc just excuses on why things couldn't be done

9 hours ago, VinnieK said:

It's probably not a very popular view, but candidates spouting a whole bunch of big ideas immediately makes me doubt their suitability.  It's not that I'm against ideas, big or small, so much as I have to wonder about anyone who comes out of nowhere convinced that they understand something as big and complicated as a society or an economy and the practical difficulties of changing one or more aspects of it enough to have a bunch of big-ticket, sure fire solutions in their back pocket.

Maybe some do, but I'm willing to bet that most fall far short of the mark and are so lacking in self-awareness that they just end up blaming everyone else when reality drives an armoured car right through the middle of their grand vision. Those in the latter group are as bad, if not a bit worse than those with no ideas.

I'd prefer instead to see someone with a few decent ideas that are influenced by a consistent view of society that I more or less agree with, and, most importantly, some kind of evidence that they have the sense and temperament to sensibly consider evidence presented before them and know when to step-in or, just as importantly, stand back from the decision-making process. 

He doesn't even have a 'few decent ideas' though does he. We need people with ambition and vision. Yes it's hard with our civil service-run system of Government, but this guy is just spouting the usual "I'll be here for you" crap that is the absolute minimum for a constituency MHK. Remember, these guys are supposed to be our policy makers. Where's the bleeding policy ideas then...?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Twitch said:

He doesn't even have a 'few decent ideas' though does he. We need people with ambition and vision. Yes it's hard with our civil service-run system of Government, but this guy is just spouting the usual "I'll be here for you" crap that is the absolute minimum for a constituency MHK. Remember, these guys are supposed to be our policy makers. Where's the bleeding policy ideas then...?

I think what he's produced is his introductory letter, not his manifesto. Although even that is terribly bland (see the motivation section) so I wouldn't hold out too much hope.

• Like 1