And They're Off!

Donald Trumps

How would you vote  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

11 candidates raises the question of why? Is it because there is serious dissatisfaction with how things are and so many people think they can do better or because they see the money and want it?

It does seem a bit mental when they will only sit for twelve months before having to go through it all over again. The successful candidates will struggle to make an impact in order to be re-elected. 

Not a good start for the new improved, bigger, better, bolder, stronger Manx Labour Party - their candidate for Douglas South, Marc Clarke, according to the Nations Propoganda Mouthpiece has withdrawn from the bye- election. Now there are 10

Edited by 2112

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

11 candidates raises the question of why? Is it because there is serious dissatisfaction with how things are and so many people think they can do better or because they see the money and want it?

Or there suddenly aren’t many jobs about and lots been made unemployed so maybe £50k for a year chancing it is better than job seekers? 

45 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

As far as I'm aware they've all got jobs apart from Josem?

Pinkerton must be looking down the barrel of MARS at his age with a young kid. Not sure Allen has a full time job. Fowler is a gardener who won’t have worked in months. I don’t think Mrs Malarkey works. Would anyone employ a Walter Mitty like Oliphant-Smith as he seems to have had hundreds of jobs over the years. He used to run a cafe if that’s what he still does which will also have been closed for months. And Clanton has maybe run out of idiot followers to fund his Cult related activities? Other than that Josem doesn’t seem to be working from Tweets he’s made. I’d wager £50k looks just fine and dandy in most of those situations hence why there are so many candidates. 

Edited by Mr Newbie
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Before my time this one.
One of the Qualtroughs from Castletown, 100 years agoi. Actually he withdrew after his name was on the ballot paper. Still 2 votes though.

Ah yeah. I think this guy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Davidson_Qualtrough

Was demobbed just in time to get to the Island and submit his nomination for the Castletown 1919 by-election. As a stop-gap his Dad who was MHK for Rushen submitted his name. Presumably to keep the seat warm for JDQ ahead of the general election later that year. JDQ, go tback on the Island in time, won the by-election then was unopposed in general election.

Edited by Declan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Declan said:

Ah yeah. I think this guy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Davidson_Qualtrough

Was demobbed just in time to get to the Island and submit his nomination for the Castletown 1919 by-election. As a stop-gap his Dad who was MHK for Rushen submitted his name. Presumably to keep the seat warm for JDQ ahead of the general election later that year. JDQ, go tback on the Island in time, won the by-election then was unopposed in general election.

Good one.

There's some nice little stories from the olden days.

[deleted - now read the wiki]

Edited by gettafa

7 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Good one.

There's some nice little stories from the olden days.

[deleted - now read the wiki]

It does illustrate why it might be best to run in the by-election rather than wait for the GE. He won the by-election and was then re-elected uncontested until 1946.

There's a great story from a few years later where his brother sued the referee of a match between Castletown and Rushen for libel.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Uhtred said:

It would take a performance of positively Herculean standards to knock Pownall off the top step of the Shit Candidate podium. Polling under 30 votes would be a real achievement.
I agree with the prediction that Fowler and Oliphant-Smith will poll very poorly. So too I expect will Pinkerton. So have a crack at these:

1. What will the percentage turnout be?

2. How many votes will each of the two elected candidates poll.

3. How many candidates will poll fewer than 100 votes?’

4. Who will poll the fewest votes, and how many will that be?

You will be permitted to modify all and any of your answers if any further candidates declare.

You may also notice that I haven’t actually asked who you consider will be elected. That’s because I don’t give a fuck.

Is it worth me building a swingometer for this election, do you think?

• Like 3