How would you vote  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Josem said:

Here's a few that I've heard from people in recent weeks and months:

1) Jobs: How we're going to protect existing jobs and create new ones now and into the future.

2) Health care: How to further improve our health service so that it is local, high-quality and universally accessible.

3) Air and sea connections: How to have resillient air and sea connections for freight and (in time) passengers.

4) The cost of living: How to ease the squeeze on household budgets.

5) Coronavirus: How to protect our island from the virus.

And what are your solutions, what do you offer, what do you bring to the table?

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Eligibility To be eligible to receive up to 5 LED bulbs, a member of the household must satisfy at least one of the following criteria: - In receipt of benefits i.e. Income support, Income b

Ok as you clearly are actually a knob, let me answer in terms that your clearly inhibited intellect can process. Some illustrations of the kind of people who should stand for the Keys are: 1

His idiotic support for ending the free movement of people in europe will have cost him. And deservedly so. Fucking brexiteers can all fuck off.

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Josem said:

1) Jobs: How we're going to protect existing jobs and create new ones now and into the future.

2) Health care: How to further improve our health service so that it is local, high-quality and universally accessible.

3) Air and sea connections: How to have resillient air and sea connections for freight and (in time) passengers.

Is climate change response not on the political agenda in South Douglas?

Dare say the IOM Green Party candidate will ensure it becomes one

Given the ultra low public support for our institutions of government, reform should be on the agenda too - even if it's not especially topical in the constituency itself right now

• Like 1

Don't forget, Josem was the guy who went on and on about the Isle of Man being the 9th worst affected country in the world, despite it obviously not being.

And he also went on and on about the government not publishing its modelling data and when offered the opportunity to discuss it with someone heavily involved TURNED IT DOWN to continue moaning.

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

The EU doesn't currently accept membership applications from European micro-states

To be honest I’d forgotten his vociferous support for Brexit. It’s a valid point bringing it up. I’d find it hard to vote for anyone who thought Brexit was a good idea in respect of the IOM. 

• Like 2

@Josem I don't think there are many, if any, local retailers which could achieve £500k bottom line? Coming from a motor trade background where some may come close on occasion but high costs on the island gobble up profits. We don't have enough chimney pots and the retailers don't have enough cash available for investment to reach those dizzy heights.   

I think you may be expected to have opinions on BLM and our crazy local climate ambitions too, good luck!

Edited by Max Power
3 minutes ago, Max Power said:

@Josem I don't think there are many, if any, local retailers which could achieve £500k bottom line? Coming from a motor trade background where some may come close on occasion but high costs on the island gobble up profits. We don't have enough chimney pots and the retailers don't have enough cash available for investment to reach those dizzy heights.   

Johns right though that removing the tax would cost us around £2M and in essence the companies don’t pay any more tax anyway as the 10% they pay here gets offset by HMRC in their UK tax bill. They still pay the same rate of tax just 10% of it here and the rest in the UK rather than all of it in the UK.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Holte End said:

As all bricks are imported, I think his metaphor is floored.

If he is talking about buying things Local.

Both BPD and Corlett's make their bricks locally.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Josem said:

By this, I mean the "10% Rate of Income Tax for Resident and Non-Resident Corporate Taxpayers on Retail Business in the Isle of Man" described in this Practice Note online here: https://www.gov.im/media/365703/pn18113.pdf

It doesn't just affect "large, UK based, retailers". It affects all retailers on the Isle of Man who earn profits over £500k. Certainly, some (most?) of them are UK-based.

Taxes like these penalise local retailers who employ local workers, and taxes like these are not paid by online competitors like Amazon, Asos, and others. Local residents have told me that we need to get serious about putting Manx jobs first, and get serious about building a strong and vibrant high street with successful local retailers. This is a meaningful and achievable step on that direction.

This is nonsense, and has no connection with reality. I can only assume that you must want to just copy and paste this rubbish and ascribe it to anyone you disagree with, but it's obviously completely absurd in this context. The idea of calling me a "UKIP'er, little Englander" is just lazy nonsense: I don't think if I've ever even met anyone who's a member of UKIP, and I can't even comprehend how a charge of "little Englander" even makes sense in this context of someone like me who has never even lived in England.

And yes, I think that the Isle of Man should remain outside the EU, and I think it is good for the Isle of Man if the UK has a more similar constitutional relationship with the EU as the Isle of Man does. I don't think it makes sense for the Isle of Man to somehow leave the UK customs union and somehow have the IOM join the EU as a member state; I don't know how that would even work, or why anyone would want to put Manx jobs and the Manx constitutional settlement at risk with such a bizarre proposal.

Yep; I imagine that can and should be a good part of it.

Hopefully the clarification above is helpful.

Yes.

I don't understand how this even makes sense in connection to me: literally the first item in the plan to promote jobs was about improving investment in local infrastructure. Maybe you've read something else, and got it confused here, because there's nothing in anything I've written there about cutting any services. Literally the first point was about increasing services on road resurfacing and repair.

I think there are some meaningful issues to discuss here in this election, and I think the readers of this thread are being done a disservice by people who just create fake caricatures of me out of the figments of their fanciful imagination.

For some time you've been peddling an ideology that seeks to shrink government influence and spending in favour of market economics.This necessarily means that social spending will reduce, negatively impacting the less affluent member of society whom you are purporting to champion. Your support for Brexit shows your true colours: elite first, plebs nowhere.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Johns right though that removing the tax would cost us around £2M and in essence the companies don’t pay any more tax anyway as the 10% they pay here gets offset by HMRC in their UK tax bill. They still pay the same rate of tax just 10% of it here and the rest in the UK rather than all of it in the UK.  

Yes, you and John are correct, I am referring to local retailers only. I can't think of many which would be able to make in excess £500k after the costs of running a business here.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Yes, you and John are correct, I am referring to local retailers only. I can't think of many which would be able to make in excess £500k after the costs of running a business here.

Have you seen the prices in the brewery's shops!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
8 minutes ago, manxman34 said:

Have you seen the prices in the brewery's shops!

Not sure that selling beer in pubs is a retail activity. It’s not listed in the Tax Guidance note.

Clearly selling beer in off licences owned by the brewery is. But supplying shops and free houses would be wholesale, not retail.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, John Wright said:

I’m making no judgment. Just pointing out that those things are wholly incompatible with claiming to be a liberal. He needs to be consistent as to which mast he nails his colours to.

To be fair some of those things are compatible with being an Australian Liberal, so he may have his perception distorted by his background.  You'd think he would have realised that the British usage is different (and has been for at least 110 years), but people tend to believe words mean what they want them to mean.  

1 hour ago, Josem said:

Hopefully the clarification above is helpful.

Well it was, but mainly because it suggests that you don't really understand how business operates.  Any local business that is already making a profit of £500,000 a year is unlikely to be put off expanding its operations by the thought that it will have to pay 10% on any extra profit it makes.  All you will be doing is taking £2 million off the Manx budget for no reason[1].

And in any case increasing profits is hardly a guaranteed way to increase jobs.  Rather like the tax cap, this proposal is basically the same old right-wing magical thinking that if you throw enough money at rich people it will somehow miraculously come back to you increased.  It won't (how do you think they got rich in the first place?).

If you want to take action against online retailers, do that - though you may find exactly the same people who complain about the loss of the high street will be even more angry about paying more for online goods.

[1]  There's also the irony that the tax only came about because Peter Karran kicked up a fuss about "Tesco of taking a million pounds a week out of the Manx economy".  So it was Liberal Vannin's idea in the first place.

• Like 6
5 hours ago, Max Power said:

I think the priority is to preserve the town centre? It could be a pretty bleak place if all the big retailers were to be housed in a out of town shopping centre. Mind you it may be an opportunity to have more local retailers in the town?

The priority would be/is to preserve DBC's harvest of business rates. They've driven so many businesses out of the town and into the arms of Braddan with the likes of the Cooil that they'll not be keen to lose any more.

Could "more local retailers" (read smaller?) even afford to pay the sort of Rates demanded in Douglas?

2 hours ago, Josem said:

The key which unlocks how to address many of the issues the Island faces is energy.

imagine if the Island owned and developed the means to produce a massive oversupply of cheaply generated renewable energy.

The possibilities and opportunities that would create...

• Like 6