Jump to content

How would you vote  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But the reason those people took their earnings as dividends rather than wages was to avoid paying NI - that's the reason people do that.  It's perfectly legal, but you have to accept the consequences of being treated as a shareholder rather than an employee.   And while the special circumstances of Covid might not be foreseen, the pension and benefit implications were certainly known.  At best these people have been misled by financial advisers, but they were trying to pay less to the government and are now complaining because the government won't give them something they haven't paid for.

And perhaps not know - she talked about educating people on what you have just stated - what if they don’t know and aren’t as smart as you in these things. Does a self employed hairdressers or Bricky really know the implication?? I think not so basically you agree with her ??

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Eligibility To be eligible to receive up to 5 LED bulbs, a member of the household must satisfy at least one of the following criteria: - In receipt of benefits i.e. Income support, Income b

Ok as you clearly are actually a knob, let me answer in terms that your clearly inhibited intellect can process. Some illustrations of the kind of people who should stand for the Keys are: 1

His idiotic support for ending the free movement of people in europe will have cost him. And deservedly so. Fucking brexiteers can all fuck off.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, ManxKnob said:

By choice or restraining order? That’s a fucking grudge if ever there was one. He defo asked her out once and she laughed...... Manx boys never forget a pie in the face . Wonder if naybe it was her hubby he fancied though. Was it his soft top??  Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha 

Prick

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's truly dreadful isn't it? 

Don't know that I'd go that far, but it certainly could have benefitted from a fair bit of trimming and editing down!

I think a lot of it would work a lot better if, instead of just listing everything she supports and proposes, she had picked a good few prominent examples in each area of things she supports, disagrees with, or wants to propose and then constructed a narrative around it. It still might not be exciting, but at least it would be accessible and help build a better picture of her as a candidate than just a collection lots of fairly sizable lists of opinions does. Still, she's at least put in the work and tried to cover all bases so can't fault her too much for that.

I do wonder how important a manifesto is though (especially when it's invariably going to be judged against other manifestos), compared with work on the doorstep and in people's living rooms.

Edited by VinnieK
Link to post
Share on other sites

How important is a manifesto when the term is going to be a year or less and, even if successful, will make not a jot of difference to a course previously set by the CM alone?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, ManxKnob said:

While I’m on... sovereign fund - great idea, 0-3 child nursary benefit, great idea, use schools more in community (little cash for more centres- great idea, IPCC great idea, SARC, great idea, medical cannabis - no brained, index link pensions- great idea. Some practical solutions and sensible policies. This is such a negative page it’s stalrsnge as there seems to be very smart people on hear - perhaps you all shud put up or shut up and stand yourselves - See if you can all cope with the slagging off from people you don’t no. ????? Probably get banned form here now ha ha ha ha 

The one thing you say that I really agree with is stalrsnge.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, ManxKnob said:

While I’m on... sovereign fund - great idea, 0-3 child nursary benefit, great idea, use schools more in community (little cash for more centres- great idea, IPCC great idea, SARC, great idea, medical cannabis - no brained, index link pensions- great idea. Some practical solutions and sensible policies. This is such a negative page it’s stalrsnge as there seems to be very smart people on hear - perhaps you all shud put up or shut up and stand yourselves - See if you can all cope with the slagging off from people you don’t no. ????? Probably get banned form here now ha ha ha ha 

It's here and know!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

How important is a manifesto when the term is going to be a year or less and, even if successful, will make not a jot of difference to a course previously set by the CM alone?

Well good point. Throughout my entire adult life Keys manifestos have been uniformly execrable. And there’s no sign of that changing. We would lose little if candidates simply said, ‘I’ve decided to sack off this manifesto nonsense... I’m really shit hot at FIFA ‘20 on my PlayStation so vote for me please. Oh and by the way, I knew your mother and I’m in favour of children not getting cancer’.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

Don't know that I'd go that far, but it certainly could have benefitted from a fair bit of trimming and editing down!

I think a lot of it would work a lot better if, instead of just listing everything she supports and proposes, she had picked a good few prominent examples in each area of things she supports, disagrees with, or wants to propose and then constructed a narrative around it. It still might not be exciting, but at least it would be accessible and help build a better picture of her as a candidate than just a collection lots of fairly sizable lists of opinions does. Still, she's at least put in the work and tried to cover all bases so can't fault her too much for that.

I do wonder how important a manifesto is though (especially when it's invariably going to be judged against other manifestos), compared with work on the doorstep and in people's living rooms.

What like Lon P’s ? That’s trimmed down a fair bit. Any comments on that or is this the slag off the woman page?....

 

just a thought. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ManxKnob said:

What like Lon P’s ? That’s trimmed down a fair bit. Any comments on that or is this the slag off the woman page?....

 

just a thought. 

It certainly isn’t a slag off a woman page..let me respond to your question concerning the manifesto of Lon Pinkerton, Special Agent. It’s a vacuous piece of shit that would embarrass a six year old with learning difficulties. OK?

Edited by Uhtred
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Photoshopped into Pully! 

yeah.... why would you photoshop yourself?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

CC and others talk of a Sovereign Wealth Fund. Haven’t we all got short and retarded memories? The Isle of Mans foray into the Film Industry, the Cinemanx years! Not forgetting the earlier foray into films, whereby each year, the great and good, along with civil servants competed with Alan Whicker. Granted, some of the earlier films made on island were successful to some extent and created investment and jobs. However, they have been deemed to be a cause for trouble as regards VAT codes etc, and originally led to the initial VAT revenue sharing agreement being revised, not in the islands favour. 
 

Remember when the Island bought a share in Pinewood Film Studios? As reverred by the islands then investment guru, Eddie Teare? Remember when we set up the Film Fund, which was ultimately managed by Pinewood? Big Profits on our investments? When questions were asked, the term ‘commercial confidentiality’ was trotted out time and again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a common trait in just about all of them, but the one that got me was: "it is a statement of my commitment to work for you"

It's a classic doorstep statement.

Once in they do the official and then the unofficial 'induction' and become a typical 'Team Tynwald' politician.

It

Makes

Me

Fucking

Sick

And has done for 50 years.

 

 

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ManxKnob said:

While I’m on... sovereign fund - great idea, 0-3 child nursary benefit, great idea, use schools more in community (little cash for more centres- great idea, IPCC great idea, SARC, great idea, medical cannabis - no brained, index link pensions- great idea. Some practical solutions and sensible policies. This is such a negative page it’s stalrsnge as there seems to be very smart people on hear - perhaps you all shud put up or shut up and stand yourselves - See if you can all cope with the slagging off from people you don’t no. ????? Probably get banned form here now ha ha ha ha 

Let's look at these:

A sovereign fund: This only makes sense if you have a one-off, time limited source of income like oil revenue and you put it aside to invest.  We don't.  And as others have pointed out the government doesn't have a brilliant track record in this sort of investment.

0-3 childcare benefit:  This is one of her better-worded policies (mainly because it is all vague aspirations) but her idea of a "0-5 pre-school within Douglas South"  (apparently no one else gets to have it) clashes with this.

Use schools more in community: Every local politician has been saying this since the dawn of time (or at least it feels like it).  It never happens because it actually costs a lot to do properly and there isn't really the demand.

IPCC:  WE already have one Commissioner - how many more does she think we need to handle single figure complaints each year.  And if we adopt the same system as the UK it still results in the same problems of police investigating police.  (Also she thinks crime is going up when it's been going down for years).

SARC:  Already being done.

Medical cannabis: Already being done (if the UK allow)

Index linked pensions:  Already done - but the important question is what index you use (on which she says nothing).

At best she's being cynical and claiming responsibility for things that are going to happen anyway.  At worse she simply doesn't understand what the job of an MHK should entail and thinks it consists of just proclaiming what you believe in and that will magically happen.  There's no need to read the documents; research the situation; ask the appropriate questions; work out what is needed and what will work; make sure that the laws and regulations are correct.  Of course such politicians are putty in the hands of the civil service and vested interests and end up as highly-paid rubber stamps, occasionally having a whinge about the predictable effects of something they voted for.

Of course she's not the only candidate or existing MHK to think like this.  But we really don't need another one.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...