Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man

How would you vote  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

I don't see 2 or 3 offering genuine leadership
 

I don't see Shimmins offering anything worthwhile

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, John Wright said:

He’s already said he won’t. He was the compromise candidate because no one wanted anyone else. He sort of snuck up on the blind side. If you’d said in June 2016 that he’d be chief minister by October you’d have been offered counselling, at best, sectioning, at worst.

The worrying thing is that there’s no stand out candidate to replace him at 12 months out.

Would Juan, who’s ambition knows no bounds, be willing to give up his robes? You bet. Would Alf throw his hat in the ring? Absolutely. Will LibVans try and push Hooper? Josem as much as said so. Will Ashford try for the job he’s be studying for since before he was out of nappies? You bet.

Help.

My money's on the Boy David.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Quayle wasn't so much a compromise (between whom?) as the most acceptable to the civil service.  There wasn't really much in the way of alternatives because so many had lost their seats or not stood again or jumped to LegCo in 2015.  Watterson rules himself out by becoming Speaker (and was distrusted as he was seen as a 'cutter'), Beecroft would never have the support, so between Quayle and Cannan the former was seen as the more pliable.

Next time there will be a lot more choice whatever you think of them as possibilities.  I'd include Allinson, though I can't see Shimmin getting the support.  Watterson might 'do a Brown' and put himself forward as a reluctant compromise after a deadlock that he has engineered, but I don't know if that is possible under the current electoral system (though there's time to change it yet again).


Then I hope Mr Shimmins spends the next year working on support within Tynwald

It is far from heroic to abandon our own people | News |

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I agree someone puts a half decent manifesto together (the only candidate to do so, so far) and gets slated for it. The photoshopping is cynical though. Why would you photoshop yourself on to a Pully scene? 

I know! Did Mark Kemp use photoshop in 2016? NO he did not, at the height of summer Mark Kemp yomped up Bradda in a woollen three-piece suit. https://www.gov.im/media/1352893/mark-kemp-rushen.pdf

Was this unnecessary effort in vain? NO it was not! Because, now in 2020 Mark Kemp can proudly declare he is "almost an MHK".

Edited by Declan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Quayle wasn't so much a compromise (between whom?) as the most acceptable to the civil service.  There wasn't really much in the way of alternatives because so many had lost their seats or not stood again or jumped to LegCo in 2015.  Watterson rules himself out by becoming Speaker (and was distrusted as he was seen as a 'cutter'), Beecroft would never have the support, so between Quayle and Cannan the former was seen as the more pliable.

Next time there will be a lot more choice whatever you think of them as possibilities.  I'd include Allinson, though I can't see Shimmin getting the support.  Watterson might 'do a Brown' and put himself forward as a reluctant compromise after a deadlock that he has engineered, but I don't know if that is possible under the current electoral system (though there's time to change it yet again).

I’m surprised you haven’t noticed, Civil Servants don’t get a vote in the CM election. I think we may have another big clear out again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

I don't see Shimmins offering anything worthwhile

I see him offering large enterprise leadership experience

None of the others have this

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

 I think we may have another big clear out again.

Nah we won't. We'll get the same people, just in different bodies.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, John Wright said:

He’s already said he won’t. He was the compromise candidate because no one wanted anyone else. He sort of snuck up on the blind side.

I don't know if that's quite accurate.  Quayle got 12 votes in the Keys, but that's not that much more than the 9 that Cannan received (with 3 going to Beecroft from the then LibVan members). Where things were much more decisive was in LegCo, where the vote when unanimously to Quayle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, VinnieK said:

I don't know if that's quite accurate.  Quayle got 12 votes in the Keys, but that's not that much more than the 9 that Cannan received (with 3 going to Beecroft from the then LibVan members). Where things were much more decisive was in LegCo, where the vote when unanimously to Quayle.

Vote will be solely in the Keys this time round

Quayle was the 'anyone but Alf' candidate last time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 minute ago, VinnieK said:

I don't know if that's quite accurate.  Quayle got 12 votes in the Keys, but that's not that much more than the 9 that Cannan received (with 3 going to Beecroft from the then LibVan members). Where things were much more decisive was in LegCo, where the vote when unanimously to Quayle.

 

That was a bit controversial because the MLC's agreed to unanimously support the decision of the MHK's, so they took the 3 MHK majority over 2nd place and voted. 

Some people felt that the MHK's choice should have had majority of the house before MLC's provided the absolute majority

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone except the President who refused to allow the Keys to reach a majority

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

I see him offering large enterprise leadership experience

None of the others have this

If you are referencing his time as a Senior Yes man in RBSI - then he has absolutely no leadership experience despite what LinkedIn and Other profiles may allude to via a fancy job title - his decision making power was limited.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

That was a bit controversial because the MLC's agreed to unanimously support the decision of the MHK's, so they took the 3 MHK majority over 2nd place and voted. 

Some people felt that the MHK's choice should have had majority of the house before MLC's provided the absolute majority

There should have been another round of voting in the Keys, until there was a clear majority for one candidate. The LEGCO voted on mass when their candidate was on top but without a majority in the Keys.

It was utterly immoral. We're told we don't need to vote for the CM because our chosen representatives do, but often it's then unchosen ones that choose. Now they say the MLC's have devolved democratic mandate because they were voted in by the Keys. But at that point the MLC's were voted in by the previous Keys many of whom will have been rejected by the electorate. So the democratic legitimacy of Quayle's position in 2021 will be, in part, that he was appointed by people who were appointed by MHK's who were elected in 2011.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

My memory is that Mr Bell regularly spoke to listeners on various Manx Radio phone-ins hosted by Roger Watterson

I think 'lectured at' rather than 'spoke to'.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Declan said:

There should have been another round of voting in the Keys, until there was a clear majority for one candidate. The LEGCO voted on mass when their candidate was on top but without a majority in the Keys.

It was utterly immoral. We're told we don't need to vote for the CM because our chosen representatives do, but often it's then unchosen ones that choose. Now they say the MLC's have devolved democratic mandate because they were voted in by the Keys. But at that point the MLC's were voted in by the previous Keys many of whom will have been rejected by the electorate. So the democratic legitimacy of Quayle's position in 2021 will be, in part, that he was appointed by people who were appointed by MHK's who were elected in 2011.

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...