How would you vote  

117 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just a reminder that candidates manifestos are posted up and linked to from the Douglas South Candidates page on the government website as they are received:

https://www.gov.im/categories/home-and-neighbourhood/elections-and-voting/douglas-south-by-election-2020/candidates/

At the moment Birnie Malarkey, Clanton, Jessopp and Oliphant-Smith haven't supplied one.  Jessopp's will presumably be soon (he's clearly campaigning), Oliphant-Smith seems better at starting things than finishing, and you wonder if Birnie Malarkey is just relying on enough sympathy and name recognition votes to get her in in a crowded field without bothering to campaign much.  Clanton seems to have been uncharacteristically low-key and I notice he was the only one not to get interviewed by 3FM

One other odd omission is that there doesn't seem to have been a requisition meeting called that I can discover.  There was one back in 2016 and even for the previous by-election in 2015.  Maybe the Corpy doesn't have anyone to chair it who can count up to 10. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Eligibility To be eligible to receive up to 5 LED bulbs, a member of the household must satisfy at least one of the following criteria: - In receipt of benefits i.e. Income support, Income b

Ok as you clearly are actually a knob, let me answer in terms that your clearly inhibited intellect can process. Some illustrations of the kind of people who should stand for the Keys are: 1

His idiotic support for ending the free movement of people in europe will have cost him. And deservedly so. Fucking brexiteers can all fuck off.

Posted Images

15 hours ago, dilligaf said:

As a fan of the tv program Still Game, I recognise her as a home help who “does” 

Does what?

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Clanton seems to have been uncharacteristically low-key and I notice he was the only one not to get interviewed by 3FM

That might be a deliberate attempt to create some distance between his previous incarnation and to cultivate a more electorate-friendly persona though, a process which already seemed to be in progress at the time of his last interview with Paul Moulton*

*e.g. the lack of unhistorical and irrelevant, but potentially flattering ramblings about the Island's prior global significance, the lack of mention of Moraceae, and the near-dismissal of the E.G.G. and other projects as bold ambition.

Edited by VinnieK
6 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

That might be a deliberate attempt to create some distance between his previous incarnation and to cultivate a more electorate-friendly persona though, a process which already seemed to be in progress at the time of his last interview with Paul Moulton*

*e.g. the lack of unhistorical and irrelevant, but potentially flattering ramblings about the Island's prior global significance, the lack of mention of Moraceae, and the near-dismissal of the E.G.G. and other projects as bold ambition.

But in that case, you would imagine the best tactic was to give lots of interviews, being as Joe Normal as you can be.  Lots of public appearances, lots of social media, lots of contact with the public.  Hide past bad publicity with lots of current sensible stuff.

21 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But in that case, you would imagine the best tactic was to give lots of interviews, being as Joe Normal as you can be.  Lots of public appearances, lots of social media, lots of contact with the public.  Hide past bad publicity with lots of current sensible stuff.

Possibly, but they might need this time to iron out some of the rough edges and get the patter and image nailed down.  Otherwise, there might be a risk that a bit of the 'old' HM the Sole, King of Moraceae and tamer of the (Meta-)aura, would sneak out two weeks or ten days before the election and sow doubts in the minds of the electorate concerning the authenticity of the 'new' Ian-James Clanton (Aka HM Sole), MHK candidate.

Incidentally, a look at the different candidates' facebook pages and the number of followers they have is interesting, if not necessarily having any bearing on their chances. Ranked in order from most popular to least:

Clare Christian: 615

Kevin Oliphant-Smith: 288

Pamela Birnie-Malarkey: 254

Ian-James Clanton: 175

Paul Quine: 174

Anthony Allen: 144 (this might be inflated, as it seems to double as his site as a commissioner).

Michael Josem: 127

Lon Pinkerton: 95

Andrew Jessopp: 54

David Fowler: 11

Note: for someone who markets himself as a public figure, that's a pretty rubbish result for Clanton.

Edited by VinnieK

I would like to to see the use of targetted Facebook advertising outlawed in IOM politics.

It's potentially very effective if you know how to run a campaign (or employ someone who does).

My feeling is that it has the potential to distort the nature of IOM politics in a way which is rather sinister.

Edited by pongo
43 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

Possibly, but they might need this time to iron out some of the rough edges and get the patter and image nailed down.  Otherwise, there might be a risk that a bit of the 'old' HM the Sole, King of Moraceae and tamer of the (Meta-)aura, would sneak out two weeks or ten days before the election and sow doubts in the minds of the electorate concerning the authenticity of the 'new' Ian-James Clanton (Aka HM Sole), MHK candidate.

I’ve not heard anything more from H M R Sole, King of Moreass. I don’t think it’s a deliberate ploy I think it’s probably because he’s a dangerous idiot who nobody in their right mind would vote for. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, ManxKnob said:

Also - chatting to a mate in anacoar last night, he’s only herd from half the candidates. Nothing from Pam, HM, Lon, quine or Allan - there only 2 weeks to go? Weird. Have a few pulled out? 

If you read Lon's facebook page, he had to go off-island earlier in the month as a close family member passed away, and then he will have to isolate on his return so won't be able to do any door to door until close to election time 

6 hours ago, ManxKnob said:

Also - chatting to a mate in anacoar last night, he’s only herd from half the candidates. Nothing from Pam, HM, Lon, quine or Allan - there only 2 weeks to go? Weird. Have a few pulled out? 

Some of the hapless hopefuls probably see it as an easy way to quadruple their normal earnings for very little work

• Like 1
1 hour ago, VinnieK said:

Incidentally, a look at the different candidates' facebook pages and the number of followers they have is interesting, if not necessarily having any bearing on their chances. Ranked in order from most popular to least:

Clare Christian: 615

Kevin Oliphant-Smith: 288

Pamela Birnie-Malarkey: 254

Ian-James Clanton: 175

Paul Quine: 174

Anthony Allen: 144 (this might be inflated, as it seems to double as his site as a commissioner).

Michael Josem: 127

Lon Pinkerton: 95

Andrew Jessopp: 54

David Fowler: 11

Note: for someone who markets himself as a public figure, that's a pretty rubbish result for Clanton.

Also interesting looking at the num of views of the 3FM interviews 

2 hours ago, pongo said:

I would like to to see the use of targetted Facebook advertising outlawed in IOM politics.

It's potentially very effective if you know how to run a campaign (or employ someone who does).

My feeling is that it has the potential to distort the nature of IOM politics in a way which is rather sinister.

Certainly distorted it for Johnson in the last UK election

His campaign appointed right wing Australian experts in social media 'influence'

13 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Certainly distorted it for Johnson in the last UK election

His campaign appointed right wing Australian experts in social media 'influence'

Targetted Facebook marketing is a devastating effective way of reaching people directly based on demographics, economics, their interests, the groups they belong to, what else they look at etc etc

But in politics it's almost invariably the start of an arms race. If one candidate uses it effectively then it will be the start of a race to the bottom in terms of populist point scoring.

Edited by pongo