Jump to content

Teacher’s pay dispute


Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Southfork said:

True. I remember my old fella explaining to me when I was at school and having difficulty with one teacher who was basically being a total twat that it’s only when you leave school that you‘ll realize what complete fucking idiots most teachers are in real life situations. And he was completely right. I’ve stitched up loads of them over the years when it comes to buying and selling stuff as most don’t have a clue. 

You sound like a charmer of the Del Boy variety.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Unions seem to be getting rather irate that government haven’t got money to pay them an extra 9% plus £1.75m lump sums on top of 2.75% they have already had this year. personally I think they are

I agree with you. Offered a deal and refused it. That funding was used during the pandemic to pay people for not working, including some teachers and to prop up businesses. Now they complain that th

Teaching assistants are needed because the Island has no special schools for children with serious physical or cognitive impairments, and no pupil referral units for the most unruly. This means classe

Posted Images

5 hours ago, manxman34 said:

Wrong in almost every respect. Substantial numbers of children have English as a second language, and many arrive with little or no English. High teacher to child ratios are a thing of the past in many instances, except in the DESC's fantasy figures. Schools have to manage finances with none of the financial certainty of rolling budgets as in England. Teachers would prefer OFSTED to the ridiculous interference from the 'advisers' and the associated paperwork and moving goalposts which cause greater stress. There are no pupil referral units for the worst behaved. There is a recruitment crisis throughout the British Isles, but it's worse here. If nothing changes, there will be low calibre appointments, unqualified staff teaching, subjects dropped, and a rapid drop in standards. It's not just pay and conditions that need sorting - the whole DESC needs changing to make it fit for its purpose. Do that, sort the pay and pensions situation, set up a shared equity scheme so new teachers can be housed, and bring back real independent scrutiny through an elected board or elected governors to hold schools and the DESC to account, and we could really have a system to be proud of.

Fixed. Sorry, the never-ending sentences were making my eyes water.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Southfork said:

True. I remember my old fella explaining to me when I was at school and having difficulty with one teacher who was basically being a total twat that it’s only when you leave school that you‘ll realize what complete fucking idiots most teachers are in real life situations. And he was completely right. I’ve stitched up loads of them over the years when it comes to buying and selling stuff as most don’t have a clue. 

I can't actually think of anything to say.

Edited by the stinking enigma
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I would say, “ well done Southfork”

I suppose holding bitterness so far into adulthood is impressive, but a bit depressing really isn't it?

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I suppose holding bitterness so far into adulthood is impressive, but a bit depressing really isn't it?

Not impressive at all. I am getting near pension age, for normal people , not those who go at 55 or so. I still remember all my teachers, from primary school to when I left.  I will always appreciate the good teachers who took time to help every pupil but I will always remember the bad ones who ruined some kids lives (not mine). 

I will also always remember the absolute idiots, who somehow passed a degree, but were out of their depth teaching. 
I would love to name names, but that would achieve nothing other than making me feel better. They are retired now on more money than hundreds of hard working men and women can earn working full time.

.One of the worst was a Primary Head. How she got there beggars belief. Was a dragon, despised by most parents and even more children. She would not have lasted one term in the UK. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I suppose holding bitterness so far into adulthood is impressive, but a bit depressing really isn't it?

You people shape the lives of children more so than parents to a degree. You should remember that. They are told to respect teachers like some kind of gods. Teachers can make or break a child and certainly determine their career paths. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

You people shape the lives of children more so than parents to a degree. You should remember that. They are told to respect teachers like some kind of gods. Teachers can make or break a child and certainly determine their career paths. 

I'm not a teacher nor in any way involved in childcare.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Not impressive at all. I am getting near pension age, for normal people , not those who go at 55 or so. I still remember all my teachers, from primary school to when I left.  I will always appreciate the good teachers who took time to help every pupil but I will always remember the bad ones who ruined some kids lives (not mine). 

I will also always remember the absolute idiots, who somehow passed a degree, but were out of their depth teaching. 
I would love to name names, but that would achieve nothing other than making me feel better. They are retired now on more money than hundreds of hard working men and women can earn working full time.

.One of the worst was a Primary Head. How she got there beggars belief. Was a dragon, despised by most parents and even more children. She would not have lasted one term in the UK. 

There's a difference between remembering people who were a part of your life, and taking it out on people you've never met because someone from their same profession was part of your life ages ago.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HeliX said:

I'm not a teacher nor in any way involved in childcare.

Oh. Well , sorry then, I thought you admitted to being one a few days ago. I take back my aiming of my comments at you. Sorry

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

Oh. Well , sorry then, I thought you admitted to being one a few days ago. I take back my aiming of my comments at you. Sorry

Grief no. The pay is terrible. Someone should organise a way to improve it.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Grief no. The pay is terrible. Someone should organise a way to improve it.

I think maybe it was “ stinky” who came out as a teacher. 
I did think it sounded wrong when I remembered you talking about software security.

Most teachers would think that was keeping a loaf fresh.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

I think maybe it was “ stinky” who came out as a teacher. 
I did think it sounded wrong when I remembered you talking about software security.

Most teachers would think that was keeping a loaf fresh.

They advertised for a Cyber Security lecturer at the college a couple of years ago. For £20,000 PA... https://www.indeed.co.uk/salaries/security-consultant-Salaries

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

One would have to hope then, that the role was about an hour each day.

Potentially, but even if it were you'd need to find a secondary employment that was happy with you losing that time + commuting time. Given we're typically billed out at a dayrate to clients I wouldn't have thought that easy.
Needless to say I didn't apply!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...