Teacher’s pay dispute

All this whining about teachers yet here you all are with the ability to read and write thanks to..... a teacher

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Unions seem to be getting rather irate that government haven’t got money to pay them an extra 9% plus £1.75m lump sums on top of 2.75% they have already had this year. personally I think they are

I agree with you. Offered a deal and refused it. That funding was used during the pandemic to pay people for not working, including some teachers and to prop up businesses. Now they complain that th

Teaching assistants are needed because the Island has no special schools for children with serious physical or cognitive impairments, and no pupil referral units for the most unruly. This means classe

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Neil Down said:

All this whining about teachers yet here you all are with the ability to read and write thanks to..... a teacher

If only they could teach themselves how to budget

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Neil Down said:

Most people accept they do a valuable job but not that they deserve the amounts of cash that they seemingly want on top of the inflation busting awards given, 5.5% for new reachers

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Banker said:

Most people accept they do a valuable job but not that they deserve the amounts of cash that they seemingly want on top of the inflation busting awards given, 5.5% for new reachers

New teachers start on something like 23k, after three years of university and two years of training. I can't remember the exact figure now off the top of my head (it's back a dozen pages or so if interested) but a school leaver at 16 who only gets minimum wage will have earned the better part of 150k before the teacher even starts. And the teacher will then take years and years to catch up in terms of lifetime earnings. 

I actually think the higher up salaries in teaching are fine, but the new teacher ones suck. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Neil Down said:

I learned both before starting school, so did our kids.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, dilligaf said:

I learned both before starting school, so did our kids.

Same here.

My mother taught at Ballaugh for 20 years. Some kids arrived who could read a bit and do basic sums, some arrived who had no idea what letters and numbers were.

• Like 1
On 8/7/2020 at 11:24 AM, HeliX said:

Was this in the 70s-90s sort of range by any chance? I know people who taught both in the UK and here in the 50s and 60s who enjoyed it, and people who have taught the last 10 years and enjoyed it. I don't know anyone who taught in the 70s-90s or even up to 00s who enjoyed it. Not sure what changed and when, not something I've particularly taken interest in discovering.

This was in the late 1960s. From what you say, just as things went sour for teachers? I suppose part of the problem was that, at least at my Grammar School. the teaching profession was being heavily pushed as a potential career, possibly because the teachers there had no experience of other jobs themselves, so could not extol the virtues of other types of work.

Thinking back, there was the teacher who was so fed up, he left and went to work on bin lorries.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

This was in the late 1960s. From what you say, just as things went sour for teachers? I suppose part of the problem was that, at least at my Grammar School. the teaching profession was being heavily pushed as a potential career, possibly because the teachers there had no experience of other jobs themselves, so could not extol the virtues of other types of work.

But why should teachers be expected to have experience of other jobs, we don't demand it of other professions such as doctors, accountants or lawyers.  Though I would have thought back then a lot of teachers would have had outside experience because of WWII and national service and the expansion of education after WWII that meant that a lot of people went into teaching after other careers.

• Like 1

But teachers are expected to impart "life skills" to their charges. This is something few of them have now. Perhaps it is true that once upon a time, common sense could be taught, but now it can't, because the teachers were not taught it themselves. It is certainly now a rare skill amongst the younger generations.

Teachers who went through war experiences had life (and death) experience in bundles, and it seems to be the case that they were always the most highly respected.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, PaulJ said:

If only they could teach themselves how to budget

If only could teach themselves how to work... Covid-19 has been the excuse to do not work at all. Not even the work that could be done online easily.

On 8/8/2020 at 2:54 PM, Southfork said:

Oh they’ve pissed the nurses off now as well to the point that they’re taking to the streets. Seems that with the exception of teachers everyone now thinks teachers are greedy twats

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8607017/Hundreds-NHS-nurses-healthcare-staff-march-London-protest-pay.html

What does that article have to do with Teachers on the Isle of Man?  The nurses that are being referred to in that article are those that work in the UK and who are now expected to take the claps that they received on Thursday evenings to the bank rather than actually being given a pay award.

• Like 1

I've no objection to teachers earning a good wage, but why the need for so much holiday. Surely 2 weeks at Christmas, 2 weeks at easter and 2 weeks in the summer is more than enough for anyone. The only reason schools had 6 weeks in the summer is to help get the harvest in 100 years ago - we now have tractors and combines to do that!!!!!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, winnie said:

I've no objection to teachers earning a good wage, but why the need for so much holiday. Surely 2 weeks at Christmas, 2 weeks at easter and 2 weeks in the summer is more than enough for anyone. The only reason schools had 6 weeks in the summer is to help get the harvest in 100 years ago - we now have tractors and combines to do that!!!!!

Heads and teachers wanted a 4 term year on those lines. Rejected iirc because of TT and objections from Chamber of Commerce who wanted cheap labour in the summer, and the bus company - don't know why

• Thanks 1