Jump to content

Teacher’s pay dispute


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Because there is much more to life for kids than just school school school.

Looking around at the standard of education, I would argue they need more school not less

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Unions seem to be getting rather irate that government haven’t got money to pay them an extra 9% plus £1.75m lump sums on top of 2.75% they have already had this year. personally I think they are

I agree with you. Offered a deal and refused it. That funding was used during the pandemic to pay people for not working, including some teachers and to prop up businesses. Now they complain that th

Teaching assistants are needed because the Island has no special schools for children with serious physical or cognitive impairments, and no pupil referral units for the most unruly. This means classe

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Looking around at the standard of education, I would argue they need more school not less

Yes, but you're a known nutter who'd have people birched. I spent loads of time with my 9 year old over lockdown and really enjoyed it, and now its the summer holidays and I should be out there earning big cos there's loads of work I've decided to only work some of it, so I can spend more time with him. What's the point of having kids if you just want someone else to look after them all time for you? 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Because there is much more to life for kids than just school school school.

I totally agree with you about children and education. If i had my way, i'd have sports a two or three afternoons a week, and introduce subjects that kids can relate to, and also allow's for practical studies for kids who do not enjoy physics, biology, english lit, RE etc etc. Some of the most successful people have no education, but they have something called 'common sense'.

But, this is about teachers, and the lack of hours worked through the year. Why do they think secondary age kids need half term? Why such a long summer holiday? The unacceptable answer is 'because we always have', and that's not good enough in today's society. Pay them well, and give them 6 weeks holiday.

I'd love National Service to be re-introduced, but that's another topic!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Yes, but you're a known nutter who'd have people birched. I spent loads of time with my 9 year old over lockdown and really enjoyed it, and now its the summer holidays and I should be out there earning big cos there's loads of work I've decided to only work some of it, so I can spend more time with him. What's the point of having kids if you just want someone else to look after them all time for you? 

amazing how you feel the need to try and strengthen your comments with insults.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2020 at 11:12 PM, Neil Down said:

All this whining about teachers yet here you all are with the ability to read and write thanks to..... a teacher

They have taught the past two generations that spelling, capitalization and grammar are of no great importance.

They are currently teaching our children that if you don't get the money you want, want, want, then whine like a bastard and go on strike.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was taught to read and write by my parents.

When I was training to be a teacher, the idea was that kids should not have their spelling , grammar, etc... over corrected, because that would cause them to lose their enthusiasm for writing, and cramp their style.

This is probably why so many teachers carnt speel.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, winnie said:

Some of the most successful people have no education, but they have something called 'common sense'.

I agree, a very small number of successful people have little to no education, but I would suspect that the overwhelming proportion of successful people have significantly benefitted from a substantial education.  Of course, this very much depends upon the definition of ‘successful’.  Sadly, a lot of people who think they are blessed with ‘common sense’ often act entirely irrationally, often smoking, drinking and eating far too much and relying on highly educated people to resolve their problems.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Meoir Shee said:

I agree, a very small number of successful people have little to no education, but I would suspect that the overwhelming proportion of successful people have significantly benefitted from a substantial education.  Of course, this very much depends upon the definition of ‘successful’.  Sadly, a lot of people who think they are blessed with ‘common sense’ often act entirely irrationally, often smoking, drinking and eating far too much and relying on highly educated people to resolve their problems.  

Bollox.

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, gettafa said:

They are currently teaching our children that if you don't get the money you want, want, want, then whine like a bastard and go on strike.

Given the monstrous gulf between minimum wage increases and cost of living increases in the last few decades that's exactly what I'd teach kids too.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HeliX said:

Given the monstrous gulf between minimum wage increases and cost of living increases in the last few decades that's exactly what I'd teach kids too.

I know

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Meoir Shee said:

Thanks for the in depth analysis, if you could just elaborate a little?

A little humility with your last sentence wouldn't go amiss. And you do realise that even educated people drink, smoke and end up obese??

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, monasqueen said:

I was taught to read and write by my parents.

When I was training to be a teacher, the idea was that kids should not have their spelling , grammar, etc... over corrected, because that would cause them to lose their enthusiasm for writing, and cramp their style.

This is probably why so many teachers carnt speel.

Even before secondary school I was taught when writing have a dictionary by your side, never did me any harm! now on their mobiles it is speed that counts with a message, spelling out of the door.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, monasqueen said:

I was taught to read and write by my parents.

When I was training to be a teacher, the idea was that kids should not have their spelling , grammar, etc... over corrected, because that would cause them to lose their enthusiasm for writing, and cramp their style.

This is probably why so many teachers carnt speel.

When I was at school, correction was done with a ruler over the knuckles, or worse, depending on the size of the error. That tended to produce and focus enthusiasm. Well, it did for me anyway...

Now we supposedly have this bollocks that their written work allegedly can't be corrected or marked with a X if wrong in case they get negative vibes about life?

Seriously, WTF? We just produce people who don't know how to cope with setbacks in life or being knocked back. And now need counselling to deal with it as well on occasions.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...