Teacher’s pay dispute

Just now, P.K. said:

The pay is pisspoor for the number of hours worked?

OK Mr Mogadon, what are the contractual hours of teachers per annum?

"Hours worked"
"Contractual hours"

These are not the same thing.

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Unions seem to be getting rather irate that government haven’t got money to pay them an extra 9% plus £1.75m lump sums on top of 2.75% they have already had this year. personally I think they are

I agree with you. Offered a deal and refused it. That funding was used during the pandemic to pay people for not working, including some teachers and to prop up businesses. Now they complain that th

Teaching assistants are needed because the Island has no special schools for children with serious physical or cognitive impairments, and no pupil referral units for the most unruly. This means classe

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, HeliX said:

"Hours worked"
"Contractual hours"

These are not the same thing.

Yep.

There's the classic teacher cop-out.

As inevitable as night follows day.

To sustain your excuse for a "stance" on teacher pay the very last thing you want to do is put up the figures that show what a cushty number it is.

Helix = Fail.

Again....

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

Teachers are underpaid and we have an understaffing problem. Negotiating hasn't worked.

Negotiating? Government = “we’ll give you a pay rise as agreed by the UK”. 

manx teachers = “Nope, we want even more”. 

“pushed around by the government”?! LOLOLOL.....

1 minute ago, P.K. said:

Yep.

There's the classic teacher cop-out.

As inevitable as night follows day.

To sustain your excuse for a "stance" on teacher pay the very last thing you want to do is put up the figures that show what a cushty number it is.

Helix = Fail.

Again....

I would fully endorse teachers logging their hours. As would all the teachers I know.

Here you are with the "cushty" bollocks again. If it was cushty, and such a secure, easy, enviable job, there wouldn't be a shortage.

Facebook was full of concerned parents after teachers started working to rule. Because clubs stopped, meetings stopped, parents evenings stopped. Lots of parents were left with problems picking kids up in what would normally have been clubs running from 4-5. Which is a lifesaver for lots of parents. No revision clubs were run. And many other activities.

All the evidence is right there that teachers work more than their contracted hours. But it doesn't fit your narrative so you ignore it. And then you have the gall to suggest other people are "failing" to produce good argument. Fucking berk.

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, HeliX said:

All the evidence is right there that teachers work more than their contracted hours. But it doesn't fit your narrative so you ignore it. And then you have the gall to suggest other people are "failing" to produce good argument. Fucking berk.

So Mr Fucking Mogadon post up the contractual hours and pay rates followed by the "evidence" for all the rest of the activities you posted up.

Me personally I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with teachers only working their contractual hours as long as it's all on the school premises where the hours can be properly logged.

Good luck with that one...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, HeliX said:

Because they've been getting less than they should for a long time, so the offer wasn't enough to redress the issue.

They’ve not been getting less than they should do. They’ve been getting slightly less than people who live in an entirely different country with an entirely different inflation rate. The UK. 

1 minute ago, Southfork said:

They’ve not been getting less than they should do. They’ve been getting slightly less than people who live in an entirely different country with an entirely different inflation rate. The UK. 

UK teachers are underpaid too.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, P.K. said:

So Mr Fucking Mogadon post up the contractual hours and pay rates followed by the "evidence" for all the rest of the activities you posted up.

Me personally I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with teachers only working their contractual hours as long as it's all on the school premises where the hours can be properly logged.

Good luck with that one...

Come on Mr Fucking Mogadon put up the contractual hours, the pay rates and the " evidence" for the extra hours worked.

What are you afraid of?

I used to rightsize for a living and I can tell you that if you can't £measure it then it's worthless....

6 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Come on Mr Fucking Mogadon put up the contractual hours, the pay rates and the " evidence" for the extra hours worked.

What are you afraid of?

I used to rightsize for a living and I can tell you that if you can't £measure it then it's worthless....

I don't have a teaching contract in my pocket. The evidence for extra hours worked is everywhere, but short of inviting you to a teachers' house to observe I doubt you'd accept it anyway.

How would you like to measure teachers' performance in monetary terms?

9 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I don't have a teaching contract in my pocket. The evidence for extra hours worked is everywhere, but short of inviting you to a teachers' house to observe I doubt you'd accept it anyway.

How would you like to measure teachers' performance in monetary terms?

Hours logged.

Like any other business.

Post up the contractual hours and pay scales to show just how hard done by teachers are...

1 minute ago, P.K. said:

Hours logged.

Like any other business.

Post up the contractual hours and pay scales to show just how hard done by teachers are...

As I already said, I'd be in support of teachers logging hours.

There's brief payscale information here: https://www.gov.im/categories/education-training-and-careers/careers-guidance/what-career/working-in-education/teaching-in-secondary-schools/

Here's information on contracted hours: https://neu.org.uk/advice/workload-and-working-time

Here's information on actual worked hours: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-27087942

• Thanks 1

Deja vu.

On 7/18/2020 at 12:48 AM, P.K. said:

My elder sister was a teacher. don't bother whining about the salary. Teachers are only expected to do their version of "work" for just 195 days out of 365 available. And only 1265 hours in that. Basically four days a week when they're working.

Demanding more money for those hours is a ruckin' joke.

1 minute ago, Banker said:

Seems reasonable pay to me for what they do plus long holidays particularly during the pandemic when they had extra 3?months off

You'd work 50+ hour weeks for ~£30k per year?

I can't imagine you're seriously implying that one year where you had some extra time "off" (where a lot of teachers were still going into work to look after kids, and most teachers were still setting/marking work and putting syllabuses online) due to a pandemic can be counted as some sort of bonus of the profession.