Teacher’s pay dispute

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

What's lush about it?

So you have no idea about the differences between teaching on Mannin and teaching in a UK multicultural city? Which is to say all of them...

What a surprise not.

Edited by P.K.
Someting strange happened
  • Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Unions seem to be getting rather irate that government haven’t got money to pay them an extra 9% plus £1.75m lump sums on top of 2.75% they have already had this year. personally I think they are

Trouble is, how do you objectively measure the outcome of a teacher?  Teacher A gets set 1 and everyone gets a top grade.  Teacher B gets set 6 and barely anyone sits the exam.  Teacher C has a pastor

Teaching assistants are needed because the Island has no special schools for children with serious physical or cognitive impairments, and no pupil referral units for the most unruly. This means classe

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, P.K. said:

So you have no idea about the differences between teaching on Mannin and teaching in a UK multicultural city? Which is to say all of them...

What a surprise not.

I do. That doesn't make an IOM teaching job "lush".

18 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I do. That doesn't make an IOM teaching job "lush".

It makes it cushty by comparison though!

I'm still wondering how many teachers have left the IOM to pursue a teaching career elsewhere and what happened to their pension pot?

Could tell an interesting story....

5 minutes ago, P.K. said:

It makes it cushty by comparison though!

I'm still wondering how many teachers have left the IOM to pursue a teaching career elsewhere and what happened to their pension pot?

Could tell an interesting story....

To some schools perhaps. There are also a lot of very privileged schools in the UK where it's easier for teachers than here. But I also think salaries for lower-paid teachers in the UK (i.e. not senior management level) should be higher.

Wouldn't imagine anyone records those stats really. I'd be surprised if it was a large number though. Things have to be badly skewed to make it financially worthwhile uprooting your entire family and moving. Probably only viable for someone in their 20s too really.

Again it won't be recorded, but I'd be interested to know how many of our graduates decide not to return to the island when pursuing a teaching career upon finishing University. Though again it'll be strongly influenced by family ties. I know it was for me, though in an entirely different profession.

Edited by HeliX

So Mr Mogadon has no answer.

Except to claim that UK fee paying schools might be easier to teach in than Mannin.

What a crap answer.

Mr Mogadon = FAIL....

• Haha 1
25 minutes ago, P.K. said:

So Mr Mogadon has no answer.

Except to claim that UK fee paying schools might be easier to teach in than Mannin.

What a crap answer.

Mr Mogadon = FAIL....

Are you really trying to claim some sort of victory due to me not offering you an answer to something there's no information for?

I suppose setting your goals that low makes them easier to achieve.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, HeliX said:

What's lush about it?

Oh god, here we go again . . . 

Put it this way H, you're the one who compares teaching to other professions. How about comparing teachers to nurses. You know, pay, holidays, working hours, responsibility, possibility of catching the virus etc

Just try that laddie. Then come back to me

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Oh god, here we go again . . . 

Put it this way H, you're the one who compares teaching to other professions. How about comparing teachers to nurses. You know, pay, holidays, working hours, responsibility, possibility of catching the virus etc

Just try that laddie. Then come back to me

Nurse salaries are far too low too.

Now what?

Now what? Well, we read the book of How The World Should Ideally Be by Helix. And do it. Good luck with that one.

Alternatively, we pay the nurses more. But for sure, have the nurses paid a shed full more than teachers.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1
18 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Now what? Well, we read the book of How The World Should Ideally Be by Helix. And do it. Good luck with that one.

Alternatively, we pay the nurses more. But for sure, have the nurses paid a shed full more than teachers.

You'll get no denial from me about being an idealist. But if you aim for realistic change, it doesn't happen. You have to pull hard in a direction for anything to change.

8 hours ago, gettafa said:

....and the radiologists, and the physio's and the lab technicians, and the porters and the house keepers and the ........... (gulp) medical staff. :D

What ever happened to all the froth last year about paying half a much again for them here than in the UK? Asking for someone else.......:ph34r:

• Like 2
9 hours ago, HeliX said:

Nurse salaries are far too low too.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion.

Just like everyone else.

Edited by P.K.
8 hours ago, gettafa said:

Don't bother. Clearly some people can even ignore reality if it doesn't suit their agenda.

Well, not unless you want to be bored into submission that is...

Edited by P.K.