Jump to content

Teacher’s pay dispute


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Unions seem to be getting rather irate that government haven’t got money to pay them an extra 9% plus £1.75m lump sums on top of 2.75% they have already had this year. personally I think they are

Trouble is, how do you objectively measure the outcome of a teacher?  Teacher A gets set 1 and everyone gets a top grade.  Teacher B gets set 6 and barely anyone sits the exam.  Teacher C has a pastor

Teaching assistants are needed because the Island has no special schools for children with serious physical or cognitive impairments, and no pupil referral units for the most unruly. This means classe

Posted Images

1 hour ago, trostagh said:

You could never accuse the Isle of Man mainstream media of investigative anything approaching journalism could you?

Fixed 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, trostagh said:

You should bother yourself to read it mate.  It’s fuck all to do with Cregeen.  DD9804C6-03AB-485E-8B1A-0C9ABED98C72.thumb.jpeg.45d9ba4b9ed1b5b79496387af1e09899.jpeg

He never does, just posts random links

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, trostagh said:

You should bother yourself to read it mate.  It’s fuck all to do with Cregeen.  DD9804C6-03AB-485E-8B1A-0C9ABED98C72.thumb.jpeg.45d9ba4b9ed1b5b79496387af1e09899.jpeg

It's an absolutely typical report for the Manx Government.  Rather than admit the main problem is that the CEO is incompetent and has been throwing his weight around to compensate (and that some of his underlings aren't much better) and that the obvious and quickest thing would be to get rid of them, the expert consultants had decided that what is needed is a long and complicated reorganisation involving the appointment of lots more senior civil servants and board members and no doubt all their appropriate hangers-on.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, trostagh said:

You should bother yourself to read it mate.  It’s fuck all to do with Cregeen.  DD9804C6-03AB-485E-8B1A-0C9ABED98C72.thumb.jpeg.45d9ba4b9ed1b5b79496387af1e09899.jpeg

The buck stops with the minister in charge who was Cregeen who stated numerous times he was in constant contact with his executive 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Banker said:

The buck stops with the minister in charge who was Cregeen who stated numerous times he was in constant contact with his executive 

But, to be fair to Graham, he just wandered round like Frank Spencer while the world revolved around his ickle head.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, trostagh said:

But, to be fair to Graham, he just wandered round like Frank Spencer while the world revolved around his ickle head.

Cregeen and the CEO should have been sacked 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't blame Cregeen. He wouldn't have had a clue what was going on and they'd have run rings around him. He wouldn't have made any decisions - not even one. You could certainly argue that he should've known what was going on but that's not how things work here.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The report is pretty devastating, and should lead to the CEO and Director going, but I bet they won't. Getting rid of the Board of Education and removing powers from school governors was a deliberate move by the civil servants at the Department of Education. It was designed to increase their power, lessen their accountability, and make their jobs safe in a climate of cost-cutting. The report suggests re-creating the Board of Education, but making it answerable to the minister. As previously constituted, the 'minister' was the chairman of the board which had real power and credibility as it was popularly elected. Board members were also the school governors, and the system worked ok. It could again. Financial responsibility has been delegated to headteachers, but not the power to make decisions that should go with it, and that needs fixing. The idea that HR take over pay negotiations seems sensible, until you factor in their uselessness. Just let the unions and treasury sort it between them. Sport and Culture should be taken off the DESC, or they'll screw that up as well.

Edited by manxman34
typo
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, manxman34 said:

The report is pretty devastating, and should lead to the CEO and Director going, but I bet they won't. Getting rid of the Board of Education and removing powers from school governors was a deliberate move by the civil servants at the Department of Education. It was designed to increase their power, lessen their accountability, and make their jobs safe in a climate of cost-cutting. The report suggests re-creating the Board of Education, but making it answerable to the minister. As previously constituted, the 'minister' was the chairman of the board which had real power and credibility as it was popularly elected. Board members were also the school governors, and the system worked ok. It could again. Financial responsibility has been delegated to headteachers, but not the power to make decisions that should go with it, and that needs fixing. The idea that HR take over pay negotiations seems sensible, until you factor in their uselessness. Just let the unions and treasury sort it between them. Sport and Culture should be taken off the DESC, or they'll screw that up as well.

One of the astonishing things about the Beamans report is that they seem completely unaware of the role or existence of the old Board of Education.  Presumably their in-depth investigation into the DESC didn't go as far as looking it up on Wikipedia.  It's also worth saying that their work was all done in August according to their website:

image.png.6cb519610109265ac0fc1da329ef75db.png

So it took place when the schools were shut and they may never have even have set foot on the Island.  Naturally with this level of expertise, their recommendations consist of "Do what the English do".  Though to be fair even they seem to have realised what a poisonous mess the Department is - but we could have told them that for free.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...