Teacher’s pay dispute

18 minutes ago, manxst said:

I’m happy to say they don’t deserve it either. Plus I’m not bickering. All emergency services SHOULD Be paid more than teachers (and MHKs). AND this is the worst time for ANYone to be whinging about pay rises/industrial action, when there are people being laid off and unable to feed their families. 

There isn't a good time though is there.

There's a teacher shortage. Hours have increased pretty much non-stop for decades, conditions aren't good, pay is crap. If not now then when?

• Sad 1
  • Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Unions seem to be getting rather irate that government haven’t got money to pay them an extra 9% plus £1.75m lump sums on top of 2.75% they have already had this year. personally I think they are

Trouble is, how do you objectively measure the outcome of a teacher?  Teacher A gets set 1 and everyone gets a top grade.  Teacher B gets set 6 and barely anyone sits the exam.  Teacher C has a pastor

Teaching assistants are needed because the Island has no special schools for children with serious physical or cognitive impairments, and no pupil referral units for the most unruly. This means classe

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, HeliX said:

There isn't a good time though is there.

There's a teacher shortage. Hours have increased pretty much non-stop for decades, conditions aren't good, pay is crap. If not now then when?

A good time would have been prior to a world wide pandemic which has led to hundreds of thousands of deaths, and a similar number of people losing their jobs. So although there isn’t a good time....THIS time is the worst possible. How about when things pick up a little (and they will). Or why weren’t teachers whinging prior to this year? I’d also happily state that teachers pay ISNT ‘crap’. It might feel like it is to them, but as I’ve pointed out, various other careers pay a lot less and seem to have it worse, and THEYRE not going on strike. 

Edited by manxst
  • Like 2
Just now, manxst said:

A good time would have been prior to a world wide pandemic which has led to hundreds of thousands of deaths, and a similar number of people losing their jobs. So although there isn’t a good time....THIS time is the worst possible. How about when things pick up a little (and they will). Or why weren’t teachers whinging prior to this year? 

Prior to this year and a pandemic... like the middle of 2019 when all of this current action started? IOMGovt has been shit at negotiating anything. That's why this has dragged on so long.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=49730&headline=Classroom strikes threatened&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2019

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, manxst said:

I’d also happily state that teachers pay ISNT ‘crap’. It might feel like it is to them, but as I’ve pointed out, various other careers pay a lot less and seem to have it worse

Starting on about 22k[1] after 3 years University (at cost), 1-2 years training, an NQT year before they're on main pay scale. All while doing an average of 47hours/week (up to 50hours/week in exam season)[2].

There's not a lot of jobs paying worse on those hours after requiring that many years of paying for training/education and not earning.

1: https://www.gov.im/categories/education-training-and-careers/careers-guidance/what-career/working-in-education/teaching-in-secondary-schools/#:~:text=In 2016%2C newly-qualified teachers,and payments for additional responsibilities.&text=salaries in excess of £55%2C000.

2: https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/sep/18/25-of-teachers-in-england-work-more-than-60-hours-a-week-study

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

Starting on about 22k[1] after 3 years University (at cost), 1-2 years training, an NQT year before they're on main pay scale. All while doing an average of 47hours/week (up to 50hours/week in exam season)[2].

There's not a lot of jobs paying worse on those hours after requiring that many years of paying for training/education and not earning.

If you're right then a lot of folks must really value all that time off...

Which means they won't want to lose it....

I would certainly bear that in mind during negotiations.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, P.K. said:

If you're right then a lot of folks must really value all that time off...

Which means they won't want to lose it....

I would certainly bear that in mind during negotiations.

Or perhaps a lot of people in the profession get into it and stay in it because they want to help future generations? I don't think they should be penalised for that, personally.

• Like 1
Just now, HeliX said:

Or perhaps a lot of people in the profession get into it and stay in it because they want to help future generations? I don't think they should be penalised for that, personally.

Looks to me, and others, that the only generation they want to help is their own...

• Like 2
9 hours ago, monasqueen said:

Why on earth should teechers have to sacrifice their own time to have discussions with parents, even if they have done so since time immoral?

The terrible spelling in this post alone support the pay rise for teachers

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, HeliX said:

Prior to this year and a pandemic... like the middle of 2019 when all of this current action started? IOMGovt has been shit at negotiating anything. That's why this has dragged on so long.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=49730&headline=Classroom strikes threatened&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2019

Shit at negotiating anything, I agree across the board ! oh except MHK's own pay and allowances !

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Neil Down said:

The terrible spelling in this post alone support the pay rise for teachers

The teribal speling is cawsed by teechers hoo carnt teech proper, and are only in it for the holidays.

A quote from someone I know who has only recently retired (across, not here):

"I stuck it out all that time for the money and holidays. "

I suspect there are many more teachers with that sort of philosophy.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

The teribal speling is cawsed by teechers hoo carnt teech proper, and are only in it for the holidays.

A quote from someone I know who has only recently retired (across, not here):

"I stuck it out all that time for the money and holidays. "

I suspect there are many more teachers with that sort of philosophy.

If they've recently retired they probably spent most of their teaching life with comparatively better pay, and with better conditions. You're pretty much proving the point.