Teacher’s pay dispute

Well they do have holiday homes in the sun to use. Why let them go to waste. Being serious I think Bill Shimmins has being trying to stop the recess for a while as he rightly thinks we have a crisis on our hands. But our part time MHK,s have either holiday plans or businesses to run thank you very much.

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Unions seem to be getting rather irate that government haven’t got money to pay them an extra 9% plus £1.75m lump sums on top of 2.75% they have already had this year. personally I think they are

Teaching assistants are needed because the Island has no special schools for children with serious physical or cognitive impairments, and no pupil referral units for the most unruly. This means classe

I agree with you. Offered a deal and refused it. That funding was used during the pandemic to pay people for not working, including some teachers and to prop up businesses. Now they complain that th

Posted Images

5 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

All this anger against teachers, why isn't the same anger directed at the government and their massive income and long summer recess?

I put on my survey form that they should only be paid for the days "worked".

• Like 1

I predict that the 'Action Short of Strike' will expand in the autumn to cover parents' evenings if the dispute isn't resolved this summer.  The new pay deal from the UK is best for new entrants (they're getting over a 5% pay rise).  They really need to attract some good brains into the profession on the island and the only way that's going to happen is with a further pay award.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

They need to look around their schools and see how much was spent on capital projects; infrastructure and equipment; and big salaries, big pensions and big payoffs for senior staff. That's where the money all went. 

23 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

They need to look around their schools and see how much was spent on capital projects; infrastructure and equipment; and big salaries, big pensions and big payoffs for senior staff. That's where the money all went. 

As with many parts of our public sector, education could do with a thorough review and restructuring.  It's not as though it is any good at present in any case.

As an example, someone told me that we employ far more teaching assistants (presumably because our 'poor' teachers are so exhausted dealing with such enormously large classes of terribly unruly kids) than across - at high cost.  Research shows that teaching assistants don't improve educational outcomes.  Go figure.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Boo Gay'n said:

As with many parts of our public sector, education could do with a thorough review and restructuring.  It's not as though it is any good at present in any case.

As an example, someone told me that we employ far more teaching assistants (presumably because our 'poor' teachers are so exhausted dealing with such enormously large classes of terribly unruly kids) than across - at high cost.  Research shows that teaching assistants don't improve educational outcomes.  Go figure.

Plus the teaching assistants get paid very well, aren’t qualified & don’t do any extra activity. Oh & they like to be called assistant teachers!

• Like 2

Teaching assistants are needed because the Island has no special schools for children with serious physical or cognitive impairments, and no pupil referral units for the most unruly. This means classes contain a much wider spread of ability, so teachers have to teach to various levels simultaneously. The assistants are there to try to ensure less able kids don't get left behind. Their pay looks good, but it's pro rata, term time only. Many of them are qualified to first degree level or beyond, The research showing that they do not improve outcomes was bought and paid for by a cost cutting UK government. Talk to parents of the kids they help and hear a different story.

The whole education system on the IoM should be reviewed. There used to be public accountability through an elected Board of Education, but this was got rid of to concentrate power in the hands of ministers, who come and go and are mostly useless, and the civil servants who have alienated the workforce and set up a ludicrous system where primary education does not meet the needs of secondary exams, and runs on levels abandoned by the UK years ago. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
On 7/19/2020 at 2:17 AM, HeliX said:

They can hardly do their paperwork, lesson planning, marking, reporting, club running, trip planning and show producing during lessons can they?

If they all got different jobs we'd be in a bit of a pickle.

Oh I don't know,less drama queens perhaps.

Didn't I see somewhere that UK teachers who have booked holidays away at the end of the school holidays, and who are therefore having to quarantine themselves for the first fortnight of school term, are going to have to take unpaid leave for the quarantine period?

Seems logical, if their job has to be covered by someone else who needs to be paid for it.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

Didn't I see somewhere that UK teachers who have booked holidays away at the end of the school holidays, and who are therefore having to quarantine themselves for the first fortnight of school term, are going to have to take unpaid leave for the quarantine period?

Seems logical, if their job has to be covered by someone else who needs to be paid for it.

Should be disciplined if they go away and then take more time off.

Ireland have told all public servants they will not be paid for any quarantine caused by international travel, they are also removing benefits from those getting the extra Covid benefits who travel abroad!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Banker said:

Should be disciplined if they go away and then take more time off.

Ireland have told all public servants they will not be paid for any quarantine caused by international travel, they are also removing benefits from those getting the extra Covid benefits who travel abroad!

Disciplined?  How would you feel if you booked a period of holiday, went away and then came back to find out you had to self-isolate for 14 days and not only were you not going to be paid but that you would also face disciplinary action?

If that was the approach taken you could expect a flurry of claims before the Employment Tribunals for constructive unfair dismissal.

Forgo your fancy holiday.

Take the train to Port Erin. Play in the sand/pubs/hills. You'll have the time of your lives

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Disciplined?  How would you feel if you booked a period of holiday, went away and then came back to find out you had to self-isolate for 14 days and not only were you not going to be paid but that you would also face disciplinary action?

If that was the approach taken you could expect a flurry of claims before the Employment Tribunals for constructive unfair dismissal.

If they go away at end of August knowing they will then have to quarantine then yes they should be disciplined, it's different if someone is away and rules change and they have to quarantine. However no one should expect to be paid if they have to quarantine when they return from holiday as Ireland are doing.