Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
TheTeapot

Shoot Geoffrey Boot

I've a vague recollection that in the old days you could get 2 shillings and 6 pence for shooting a crow, & get replacement ammunition gratis

Cue jokes about the Crowes of Kirk Michael

1 hour ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

He wants to bring red squirrels in now.

He hasn't said if he is planning on shooting then as well though.

I actually thought you were joking, but no, the idiot actually wants to do thisWe went through all this with that half-wit Ronan only four years ago and there was a formal consultation where every reputable wildlife and conservation opposed it and the idea was firmly rejected.  To go against that so soon after undermines the whole consultation idea.  That time various off-Island charities appeared to be pushing for it and I suspect the same thing is happening again.  I'l  put up a slightly modified version of what I first posted last time as the arguments haven't changed:

It's completely daft of course. Red squirrels need lots of woodland, preferably native pine woodland, to maintain a viable population. The Island simply doesn't have that sort of habitat - the plantations are the wrong sort of pine, even if they weren't being being felled because of disease. And, even if the red squirrel were under pressure in Britain (the real picture is more mixed), it is still very widespread in the rest of Europe and Asia. Indeed in Ireland it is the grey squirrel that is under pressure and the reds are regaining territory. So why there is a need to introduce the red into another island is a mystery, apart from pleasing the sort of people who babble on about fluffy Mr Nutkin[1].

This isn't the first time this sentimental proposal has been brought forward. Back in 2008 Phil Gawne turned the idea down [2] pointing to the danger that squirrels might pose to native birds for example. Another report was produced in 2010 which pointed out what a bad idea this was. It's interesting that this report has now been published alongside the formal consultation document on the consultation page for this exercise.  Interestingly these reports have now been removed from the Government website as has the report on the consultation itself.  As it happens I'd copied a few of the more damning responses in a later comment on the topic.

I suspect that the people who work in and with DEFA know that it's a stupid idea, but, as with Watterson's daft proposal for checking ID for the boat, it about a politician putting forward something that (they think) will make them look good in an election year and never mind what it will cost, or what might go wrong or whether it is remotely possible that it will work.

[1] Beatrix Potter herself, a tough-minded pioneering naturalist, would probably have been contemptuous.

[2] It's interesting that some of the comments go on about the red squirrel being 'endangered' when it is nothing of the sort. Being rare in the English home counties is not the same thing.

• Like 2

I'm all for it, squirrels are cute. Should bring in some Roe Deer and Scottish Wildcats while they're at it. And Moles. And Voles. Maybe some Otters up at Cringle. And some Japanese Macaques.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I'm all for it, squirrels are cute. Should bring in some Roe Deer and Scottish Wildcats while they're at it. And Moles. And Voles. Maybe some Otters up at Cringle. And some Japanese Macaques.

Yes agree. And some Emu's to keep the Wallabies  company , few prides of Lions to get on top of the said Wallabies. Badgers getting a hard time in UK so maybe a conservation area in Foxdale ! for a few hundred . Maybe a herd of Elephants to help with the infrastruture works on the prom. Save on Diesel and if short of horses multi use . Win win . We have plenty of Amoeba's employed in public sector so pass on them . 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Haha 1

Boot's a trier isn't he. He gets knocked on his ass on the partridge then comes back swinging with the squirrel. He's like the upper class twit in against a fairground bruiser, but the lad just doesn't know when to quit. It's great spectator sport, I'll give him that. The Fur and Feather club should book him for their next after-dinner speaker.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

I'd suggest that Mr Boot visits what's left of some of our upper plantations and has a good look at what's been done in DEFA's name before he considers introducing mammals that are actually keen on abiding in trees. Ballaugh and Ohio would be two good northside places for him to start although I don't doubt that there's others.

We have been left with the forestry equivalent of the current Douglas Promenade. All that's required is a few dead horses to complete the Somme landscape reconstruction.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Beavers!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Beavers!

Penguins would be nice - already in masonic dress so could be sponsored

The thing to get all fired up about preserving is habitat, the creatures will largely take care of themselves ! Boot is half the hat !

• Like 1

I thought it was a lovely idea !

Then I listened to the experts and understood what a bad idea it is.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, asitis said:

The thing to get all fired up about preserving is habitat, the creatures will largely take care of themselves ! Boot is half the hat !

He isn’t even half the hat. He’s mental.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

And some Japanese Macaques.

Fuck off pal...bloody awful motorbikes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

Beavers!

There’s already a colony of wet Beavers in Peel.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I'd suggest that Mr Boot visits what's left of some of our upper plantations and has a good look at what's been done in DEFA's name before he considers introducing mammals that are actually keen on abiding in trees. Ballaugh and Ohio would be two good northside places for him to start although I don't doubt that there's others.

We have been left with the forestry equivalent of the current Douglas Promenade. All that's required is a few dead horses to complete the Somme landscape reconstruction.

Isn't there some sort of tree cull going on to prevent disease? 

3 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Isn't there some sort of tree cull going on to prevent disease? 

There are several. The plantation one is Phytophthota Ramorum, or Larch disease, and has been going on for nearly a decade.

• Like 1