Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
TheTeapot

Shoot Geoffrey Boot

A curious question - are there many countryside persuits which include shooting - game and target - which could be classed as tourism, and do they attract off island tourists? I know there is a drag hunt group and a polo group.

3 hours ago, Out of the blue said:

I have mixed views about this, I do not particularly like or participate in game shooting, and do not understand how people can derive pleasure out of killing anything. Hunting for food if it was necessary due to societal collapse I understand, but although I would do it to survive (I am not a vegetarian) I would not take any pleasure out of doing it.

Conversely these specific birds (the ones that would be released) only exist because they are bred in farms as game, and once released the vast majority avoid being shot and frankly move into other areas and viable populations are created that sustain our local raptors, polecats etc. I am led to believe that unlike Pheasants the Partridges are native birds and their reintroduction should then be welcomed, even if the ethics for their introduction could be viewed as distasteful by many.   

On balance I would support the introduction of a game season, if only because they are a bird that would compliment our current wildlife.

Hmmmm I don't think game shooting supports a local raptor population, that's why we have Hen Harriers and England basically doesn't ! Anything which can be monetised like game shooting will inevitably clash with natural populations ! Boot needs the Boot !!

• Like 3

As far as I'm aware, the two commercially run shoots over here sell "let days" to roving syndicates from off-island. It's a wealthy man/womans  game but small beer as to a contribution to tourism. Also the paperwork involved in bringing over firearms is a nightmare.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Do us all a favour and get this clown out on his ass at the next election, Peel; even if you have to elect a monkey. With all that's going on and what we face for the future, Boot's in the wrong place, the wrong time and in the wrong job. Jeez, we're even paying him... 

There’s me thinking the electorate of Malew, Castletown and Arbory had selected the biggest goons in Keys...I was wrong wasn’t I.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Well here's what the Courier story says:

image.png.bcaaddc009566cdbd12ba0100da7354d.png

image.png.401d49ad276d3a4e9c673f123eb82062.png

image.png.6a3699b118bfba265960b5010eb83515.png

So it looks as if Boot is claiming that our wonderful farmers have made such a wonderful and well-paid job of preserving Manx wild life that they are all now killed off.  Just in case they haven't, they should be allowed to kill any remaining.  Then more should be imported so they can kill those as well.

Edited by Roger Mexico
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

The idea is disgusting. Boot is trying to allow the introduction of these birds for the benefit of himself and his fellow travelers in the blood sports brigade, and all the stuff about environmental benefits is just tosh. Why do people in the west of the island keep electing such awful wankers?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

Anyone that voted for jethro and are now surprised at the outcome should be eliminated from society. If we could make a few quid out of a running man style human hunt and shoot then it's definitely worth exploring, preferably while naked and smothered in treacle, the runner can wear what they want though.

The way 2020 is panning out the running man hosted by piers morgan would not surprise me

Dynamite fishing on a strictly leisure basis I've alway felt would have potential for future revenue generation. Difficult to get a grant for, the only thing that's stopped me so far. Looks like that may be about to change.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Glen Auldyn shoot has populated the whole of the north of the Island plentifully with pheasants. To the dismay of many a keen gardener whose flower beds they root up although the pheasant's lack of road sense sees plenty meeting their demise on the carriageways too.

The ducks up there are so numerous that in some areas of the rivers it's actually difficult to see water, ideal for those shoot participants who aren't the best of shots. Again, the ducks have expanded further afield too, to the other rivers and harbours.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo

The pheasant thing at Glen Audyn is more or less like shooting fish in a barrel.

Money 

Class 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wild boar would be cool. And actually worth eating. Pheasant is horrible to eat.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, the stinking enigma said:

Dynamite fishing on a strictly leisure basis I've alway felt would have potential for future revenue generation. Difficult to get a grant for, the only thing that's stopped me so far. Looks like that may be about to change.

"Sparrow netting" is my business idea,easily strung up down Broadway,or even the Strand,or Kirkmichael,its a great "Sport" so my pal in Malta says,but then anyone who opposes the goverment in Malta tends to get their car bombed.

Edited by Ďouglas Peel
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Out of the blue said:

They exist on the island, but I do not know in what numbers. I am sure there is a twitcher on MF who can provide details.

ETA : thanks for the info

The RSPB distribution map suggests that they favour the south of the Island.  Across the UK & IOM there are around 43,000 breeding territories but I think these are probably not well populated.  I'm partial to a bit of bird photography (makes the bikes seem easier...) and I've not seen one on the Island yet.  They are in the Cotswolds where I put myself about quite a bit and while its teeming with red-legged partridges, I've not managed to photograph one.  It is correct that the RSPB have their status as 'red' which means the decline in their numbers gives great cause for concern.

So, shoot them for fun?  I would invite the gentleman concerned to kiss both sides of my arse.  Killing something for food is one thing.  Killing them for pleasure is something else again. 

Somebody mentioned Wild Boars.  There's a ton of them in the Forest of Dean and I had a very close encounter early one morning when i was looking for Goshawks.  Very amiable critters unless they have young and you have a dog.  They like to dig up verges & grassy patches so any residents near wooded areas would have their gardens totalled in no time.  Perhaps they could complain to an MHK

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2