20mph urban limit to be discussed later!

100 years ago, steam driven vehicles with rod operated brakes, clunky steering and suspension and solid tyres could be driven around town at 30mph. Now it's considered dangerous by some to drive our high tech vehicles at that speed with amazing driver aids? Diving at low speed is bad for the engine, reduces concentration and increases CO2 pollution. Idiots!

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/disagreement-in-tynwald-over-20mph-urban-speed-limit/

th?id=OIP.0RquAvWAR_cip4I2zhJv0wHaE8&pid=Api&P=0&w=264&h=177

Edited by Max Power
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The future lies in average speed cameras. On a route in my native Fylde there was a catalogue of fatal collisions. It was a single carriage way country road that actually ran past my parents pub. Even

Calm down Dilli...your Nissan Micra has 15 bhp, not 150.

Where/what is the data to suggest that further restrictions on the motorist are necessary? Or are we, as usual, just amassing regulation and restrictions on the public for the sake of it?

42 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Surely just enforce the existing 30s? People doing 30mph in 30 zones isn't the problem, people doing 40mph in them is.

Correct. I live in a 20 mph area. Regularly see people doing 35-40 mph. Every day. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
2 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Correct. I live in a 20 mph area. Regularly see people doing 35-40 mph. Every day. 

I've never understood why. There are plenty of places on the island you can do whatever speed you fancy, there's absolutely no need to speed in areas that are likely to have kids/animals/whatever running about.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, HeliX said:

I've never understood why. There are plenty of places on the island you can do whatever speed you fancy, there's absolutely no need to speed in areas that are likely to have kids/animals/whatever running about.

thats the point really,  coupled with what Max said at the start.    when i was first driving everyone had a mini,  at 50 mph it felt like you were doing 100 and about to leave the road,  modern cars are so comfy and quiet inside that even when you're doing 40 mph you feel like your doing 20 in your old 70's mini, people get used to the feel of speed and modern cars don't feel fast.

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Major Rushen said:

Modern cars at 20 mph stop a lot quicker than older cars - Twenty is Plenty ...but needs policing to educate the young and the unwilling.

I take it you'll be volunteering to join the MRFWB in your spare time (at 4 mph): the Manx Red Flag Waving Brigade.  And watch out, your brain explodes when you travel at more than 10 mph.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Max Power said:

Diving at low speed is bad for the engine, reduces concentration and increases CO2 pollution.

Really? Citation needed. I'll be particularly interested to see what the global CO2 impact will be from slightly slower half mile journeys through Douglas.

Most of London seems to cope well enough with 20mph limits in residential areas. There doesn't seem to be much problem with similar limits in residential areas elsewhere in the UK and Europe. I can retain my concentration perfectly well at 20 mph. And on the IoM, if you have a need for speed, there are plenty of places where you can exercise that urge (and long may it remain so). Maybe you should consider some driver retraining? Or perhaps your vehicle doesn't have a third gear?

• Thanks 1

Where/what is the data to suggest that further restrictions on the motorist are necessary? Or are we, as usual, just amassing regulation and restrictions on the public for the sake of it?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
2 minutes ago, joebean said:

the where is up somebodies arse ,  the what i'm not  sure about.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Utah 01 said:

I take it you'll be volunteering to join the MRFWB in your spare time (at 4 mph): the Manx Red Flag Waving Brigade.  And watch out, your brain explodes when you travel at more than 10 mph.

No I joined the ... I knocked someone down club at 30 mph and if it was 20  ....

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, WTF said:

thats the point really,  coupled with what Max said at the start.    when i was first driving everyone had a mini,  at 50 mph it felt like you were doing 100 and about to leave the road,  modern cars are so comfy and quiet inside that even when you're doing 40 mph you feel like your doing 20 in your old 70's mini, people get used to the feel of speed and modern cars don't feel fast.

I always tell my kids to open all the windows every so often. I find that they are VERY surprised at how fast they are actually travelling at.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Max Power said:

Diving at low speed is bad for the engine, reduces concentration and increases CO2 pollution. Idiots!

Most new cars will be electric within a decade. And speed limiters will soon be required on all new cars too.

If it's really true that driving slowly is bad for engines - well doesn't that just show that it's time to change the technology?

• Sad 1

It's my understanding that it's not driving slow which is bad for vehicles, but the constant stop-start of being in a town regardless of the speed limit.

I hope we don't see the day where all vehicles have speed limiters. For one, it's useful to be able to speed up to avoid danger as well as braking to avoid danger.

Happy to move to electric though.

• Like 2