Jump to content

20mph urban limit to be discussed later!


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The future lies in average speed cameras. On a route in my native Fylde there was a catalogue of fatal collisions. It was a single carriage way country road that actually ran past my parents pub. Even

Calm down Dilli...your Nissan Micra has 15 bhp, not 150.

Where/what is the data to suggest that further restrictions on the motorist are necessary? Or are we, as usual, just amassing regulation and restrictions on the public for the sake of it?

8 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Wonder when the first business removing them will pop up. 

It looks as though they can be overridden by the driver. It seems to be a driver aid rather than a full speed restrictor? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Max Power said:

Engines are not designed to be driven continuously at low rpm and low mileages

Indeed. Hence why one would change down a gear when driving at only 20 mph instead of 30, thus reducing vehicle speed whilst keeping engine speed near constant. But then you know that anyway, but have nevertheless made the silly claim that "D[r]iving at low speed is bad for the engine, reduces concentration and increases CO2 pollution. Idiots!", when the context is small reductions in speed for short parts of a journey through urban areas.

If almost all of your driving is short trips around Douglas, you are right that won't be good for your engine or exhaust system (especially so if you drive a diesel), whatever the speed limit. If that's the case, an electric car or a bicycle would be a good choice. If however you regularly get of of town, the introduction of a 20mph urban limit should not have any of the disadvantages you claim.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Max Power said:

It looks as though they can be overridden by the driver. It seems to be a driver aid rather than a full speed restrictor? 

To begin with it reckons...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why don’t they just put speed cameras in places, automatically issue tickets to speeding drivers so doesn’t need policing.

also the income would pay for cost of installation 

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Banker said:

Why don’t they just put speed cameras in places, automatically issue tickets to speeding drivers so doesn’t need policing.

also the income would pay for cost of installation 

If I recall correctly we don't have the bylaws to support speed cameras. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Banker said:

Why don’t they just put speed cameras in places, automatically issue tickets to speeding drivers so doesn’t need policing.

also the income would pay for cost of installation 

I don't think we have sufficient traffic density for the fines to pay for the cameras. A lot of the business model depends on people not knowing they are there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Yibble said:

Indeed. Hence why one would change down a gear when driving at only 20 mph instead of 30, thus reducing vehicle speed whilst keeping engine speed near constant. But then you know that anyway, but have nevertheless made the silly claim that "D[r]iving at low speed is bad for the engine, reduces concentration and increases CO2 pollution. Idiots!", when the context is small reductions in speed for short parts of a journey through urban areas.

If almost all of your driving is short trips around Douglas, you are right that won't be good for your engine or exhaust system (especially so if you drive a diesel), whatever the speed limit. If that's the case, an electric car or a bicycle would be a good choice. If however you regularly get of of town, the introduction of a 20mph urban limit should not have any of the disadvantages you claim.

It's not just urban areas being proposed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Out of the blue said:

30 mph is the limit, there is absolutely nothing to stop you driving below that if you feel it is safer or more appropriate. I drive down several country lanes near my house that are in 30mph zones, rarely going over 20mph due to walkers, horses, cyclists other cars etc. I note that most other driver’s do so too. The vast majority of people adjust their speed to the conditions anyway, and you are naive to think that the minority will change their ways by an arbitrary unenforceable law. Bad law is inevitably ignored by the masses and leads to a erosion of respect for other rules. 20mph is a bad idea and feels like election fodder to appeal to the 40mph covid zealots

You mean theres some lanes with 30 limits. All the ones round here have no speed limit.it's crazy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

You mean theres some lanes with 30 limits. All the ones round here have no speed limit.it's crazy.

There are, but granted, not many. On most there are no set speed limits, just the natural ones that prevent the non-suicidal/homicidal maniacs from going in excess of 20/30mph.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got really mixed views on this.

There are plenty of 30mphs where people can safely drive at 40mph.  But there are also 30mph areas where you actually would want to drive slower due to parked cars, lack of being able to see someone about to step out behind a car etc.

The worst drivers are the ones that don't get above about 40mph on any road, but also still drive at 40mph when most other people would drop their speed considerably below that.  And unfortunately the powers that be probably need to regulate things to deal with dickheads like this.

20mph in any kind of genuine residential area is fair imo.  But not for areas that are main roads that have houses on them but where you wouldn't expect kids to be playing, say the main road through Colby for example.  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

You mean theres some lanes with 30 limits. All the ones round here have no speed limit.it's crazy.

Many, many roads should be restricted to 30, or sometimes 20 mph. But there are other roads where there should be little if any restriction. I don’t mind crawling through housing estates or school areas, but it is nice to blow the cobwebs away sometimes and the mountain road is one of the places where one can do that.We should not be legislating for the lowest common denominator. More testing is required to weed out the dangerous ones and more often than not, they will be the slow, hesitant ones, not the more confident drivers.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Many, many roads should be restricted to 30, or sometimes 20 mph. But there are other roads where there should be little if any restriction. I don’t mind crawling through housing estates or school areas, but it is nice to blow the cobwebs away sometimes and the mountain road is one of the places where one can do that.We should not be legislating for the lowest common denominator. More testing is required to weed out the dangerous ones and more often than not, they will be the slow, hesitant ones, not the more confident drivers.

What are you blowing the cobwebs out of these day's Dilli?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, finlo said:

What are you blowing the cobwebs out of these day's Dilli?

Something with only 150 BHP. In comparison, like driving a mini. :angry:

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Max Power said:

It looks as though they can be overridden by the driver. It seems to be a driver aid rather than a full speed restrictor? 

it will get rid of the i didn't realise excuse,  if you have clicked whatever to bypass a speed limit it shows it was intentional.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...